Mark Arcobello

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
AHL teams win with Arco in the lineup. Want to guess what the Oilers record looks like with Arco as a Center?QUOTE]

Thank you Everyone for the responses.

To this user, I don't mean to be a jerk, but seriously? Want to guess what the Oilers record looks like with ABSOLUTELY ANY OILER PLAYER IN THE LINEUP over the last few seasons?

Geeze. Blaming Arcobello for an entire teams poor record. He seems like a solid role player. Even if he weren't a solid role player, I think something like a record would fall on the shoulders of your players make 7 to 8 times as much salary than he makes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Arcobello has been very good, not our best center (easily Hopkins), but he's been solid in a two way role. He doesn't play overly difficult minutes or have game breaking ability but he doesn't ever make a really dumb play and seems to always do the right play which is often the simple play. I think he's still got some scoring upside at the NHL level as he's got a bit more creativity then he's shown i think, it's not typical i'd think for a guy to show his true NHL ability this early in their NHL career. Good for him, easy to cheer for a guy who's worked his way up like that, he also might honestly end up as Tambellini's best free agent signing.lol.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Arcobello has been very good, not our best center (easily Hopkins), but he's been solid in a two way role. He doesn't play overly difficult minutes or have game breaking ability but he doesn't ever make a really dumb play and seems to always do the right play which is often the simple play. I think he's still got some scoring upside at the NHL level as he's got a bit more creativity then he's shown i think, it's not typical i'd think for a guy to show his true NHL ability this early in their NHL career. Good for him, easy to cheer for a guy who's worked his way up like that, he also might honestly end up as Tambellini's best free agent signing.lol.

Rnh has been very shaky defensively to start the year. I have no doubt he will get better and is more offensively talented but overall Arco has been better to date.

There are so many different ways to evaluate a player everyone is entitled to their opinion. But by my eye and all measurable stats Arco has been better.

An argument could be made for Gordon since he faces much harder opposition but then u have to ignore what Arco has done offensively and defensively to do that. Which does not make sense.

Arco is better offensively than Gordon while being better defensively then nuge. So far this season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
AHL teams win with Arco in the lineup. Want to guess what the Oilers record looks like with Arco as a Center?QUOTE]

Thank you Everyone for the responses.

To this user, I don't mean to be a jerk, but seriously? Want to guess what the Oilers record looks like with ABSOLUTELY ANY OILER PLAYER IN THE LINEUP over the last few seasons?

Geeze. Blaming Arcobello for an entire teams poor record. He seems like a solid role player. Even if he weren't a solid role player, I think something like a record would fall on the shoulders of your players make 7 to 8 times as much salary than he makes.

It's even funnier because if someone used that exact example against Gagner it would be irrelevant to Replacement.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Rnh has been very shaky defensively to start the year. I have no doubt he will get better and is more offensively talented but overall Arco has been better to date.

There are so many different ways to evaluate a player everyone is entitled to their opinion. But by my eye and all measurable stats Arco has been better.

An argument could be made for Gordon since he faces much harder opposition but then u have to ignore what Arco has done offensively and defensively to do that. Which does not make sense.

Arco is better offensively than Gordon while being better defensively then nuge. So far this season.

I haven't seen Hopkins make a single terrible mistake yet, he may have, but typically he's very good at covering his man on the back check. I really see a lot of curious comments regarding defense on here, are you sure you know what he's responsibilities actually are? You might, i just see a lot of hilarious comments where clearly the poster has no idea what they are talking about and your claims honestly seem quite dubious to me.

"Measurable stats"? You mean just the ones you've looked at because it seems to me the advanced stats are heavily in Hopkins favour. Better shot rates, tougher zone starts, and much tougher competition.

Is it not extremely obvious to you they are hard matching Nuge's line against the other teams best? He's faced the toughest competition not Gordon, Gordon's just had to deal with hellish zone starts and hasn't been protected obviously. Gordon's faced tougher minutes but not more difficult competition.

Nuge can break open a game in a way Arco can't, we saw that last night when he made a perfect shot on Bishop to win the game. Here's the link to the player usage chart BTW:

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...siRel&yAxis=qoc&update-filters=Update+Results

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Nuge can break open a game in a way Arco can't, we saw that last night when he made a perfect shot on Bishop to win the game. Here's the link to the player usage chart BTW:

You mean like the sweet short-handed pass Arco made to Joensuu against Vancouver that made the game 4-3 with 8 minutes left, or the goal 3 minutes into the third that cut the deficit to 4-3 against Phoenix where he busted in past the d-man, and roofed a one-timer over Mike Smith?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's even funnier because if someone used that exact example against Gagner it would be irrelevant to Replacement.

The obvious difference being one is an established NHL player and has been since age 18. The other jury is still out. Which is basically whats being discussed here and its too early to ascertain what contribution Arco can make at this level.

ps even stranger that you're calling me out on this when you're the one lol suggesting that Arco is better than RNH. Maybe he's better than Crosby to you as well..;)

Also, in reply to the poster you quoted that chose to be offensive I was simply replying to an assertion, I wasn't the one making it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think that's fair. How much time does it take before we can say he's at least an adequate replacement for Gagner?

tbh if he can carry at least half a season like this I'll look at that and acknowledge it.

Arco has played well so far. I've acknowledged that as well in other threads

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I haven't seen Hopkins make a single terrible mistake yet, he may have, but typically he's very good at covering his man on the back check. I really see a lot of curious comments regarding defense on here, are you sure you know what he's responsibilities actually are? You might, i just see a lot of hilarious comments where clearly the poster has no idea what they are talking about and your claims honestly seem quite dubious to me.

"Measurable stats"? You mean just the ones you've looked at because it seems to me the advanced stats are heavily in Hopkins favour. Better shot rates, tougher zone starts, and much tougher competition.

Is it not extremely obvious to you they are hard matching Nuge's line against the other teams best? He's faced the toughest competition not Gordon, Gordon's just had to deal with hellish zone starts and hasn't been protected obviously. Gordon's faced tougher minutes but not more difficult competition.

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usag...siRel&yAxis=qoc&update-filters=Update+Results

You forget Arco took RNH's spot against said competition for 2 games... Not sure where you going with this. Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

RNH has made many bone headed tier one quality bad passes/giveaways this year. Missed his man in coverage on far too many occasions. Had a beauty no looker to the opposition just last game (which he played very well in besides).

I am a huuuuge Nuge fan. Watched him here in Red Deer and think the world of him but if you have not noticed his play lacking defensively/positionly in the early goings of this season I have to say you haven't watched very closely at all.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
tbh if he can carry at least half a season like this I'll look at that and acknowledge it.

Arco has played well so far. I've acknowledged that as well in other threads

Holy #$%^&*(*&^%$#%^&*((*&^&*().

Who is this and what have you done with Replacement????

Hacker !!!!

This is really good to see you say this but I have to say I am confused. Arco played exactly this way last season. The only difference I can see is that he has finished a bit better so far. Which his NHL/AHL numbers heavily suggested would be the case moving forward.

Meh, I suppose I should have just been happy to see you post this.

EDIT: A note for all who selectively read portions of my posts. RNH when playing well is a far better player than Arco. Far! It's just that right now RNH, minus last game, has not played that well and Arco has. So far.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
You forget Arco took RNH's spot against said competition for 2 games... Not sure where you going with this. Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

RNH has made many bone headed tier one quality bad passes/giveaways this year. Missed his man in coverage on far too many occasions. Had a beauty no looker to the opposition just last game (which he played very well in besides).

I am a huuuuge Nuge fan. Watched him here in Red Deer and think the world of him but if you have not noticed his play lacking defensively/positionly in the early goings of this season I have to say you haven't watched very closely at all.

Oh so i see measurable stats only count when you bring them up. You do also realize on one of those nights Arcobello replaced Nuge we got slaughtered by LA and the other game we gave up 6 non empty netters against Arizona. Not blaming Arcobello but let's be real it's not like the results were stellar.

Your just stating conjecture. Newsflash your most creative players will make turnovers, Gretzky used to lead the league. Arcobello makes the safe play all the time, this makes him less likely to turn the puck over but it also makes him less likely to make a big play.

Nuge really hasn't been the problem on most goals it's been the defense making the poor reads. In fact it's only been 4 games and he's been on for 5 GA making the video easy to review. The opener saw him be on the ice for 3 goals, 2 EV strength. 1st one was scored by a D in the Calgary game while Nuge had his man in the slot. The other EV goal he was on for that night came off a Hall turnover when Raymond scored off the rush on a slap shot, not his fault. The last one was the Brodie PP goal and maybe you can blame him for coming back too deep but it's pretty hard to just watch a guy try to jam it in from the side of the net uncovered. In the second game he wasn't on for a single GA at evens and the PP goal he was on for wasn't his fault at all. The two goals in Vancouver weren't his fault in the slightest, he was covering the wing on one of them and the other was an Empty netter. Wasn't on for any GA against Tampa where his line helped shutdown Stamkos and scored both goals. Honestly what games are you watching? At worst he's at fault for one GA, a shorthanded goal in garbage time where he was in a no win situation. I don't think it's a coincidence the Oil got light up in the games he was out for.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Replies in bold

Oh so i see measurable stats only count when you bring them up. You do also realize on one of those nights Arcobello replaced Nuge we got slaughtered by LA and the other game we gave up 6 non empty netters against Arizona. Not blaming Arcobello but let's be real it's not like the results were stellar.

Its good your not blaming him since he was one of the best on the ice that night. Very generous of you.

Your just stating conjecture. Newsflash your most creative players will make turnovers, Gretzky used to lead the league. Arcobello makes the safe play all the time, this makes him less likely to turn the puck over but it also makes him less likely to make a big play.

Arco has made a few big plays already this year but yes I can agree with you on this one... In fact I already have on earlier posts. This will be my last response to you. You are not computing what I've been posting and I've already repeated myself enough.

Nuge really hasn't been the problem on most goals it's been the defense making the poor reads. In fact it's only been 4 games and he's been on for 5 GA making the video easy to review. The opener saw him be on the ice for 3 goals, 2 EV strength. 1st one was scored by a D in the Calgary game while Nuge had his man in the slot. The other EV goal he was on for that night came off a Hall turnover when Raymond scored off the rush on a slap shot, not his fault. The last one was the Brodie PP goal and maybe you can blame him for coming back too deep but it's pretty hard to just watch a guy try to jam it in from the side of the net uncovered. In the second game he wasn't on for a single GA at evens and the PP goal he was on for wasn't his fault at all. The two goals in Vancouver weren't his fault in the slightest, he was covering the wing on one of them and the other was an Empty netter. Wasn't on for any GA against Tampa where his line helped shutdown Stamkos and scored both goals. Honestly what games are you watching? At worst he's at fault for one GA, a shorthanded goal in garbage time where he was in a no win situation. I don't think it's a coincidence the Oil got light up in the games he was out for.

So then you are blaming Arco? Don't respond to that, it's so painfully obvious that RNH has made far fewer mistakes than Arco defensively this year, I can't believe I didn't realize that until right now with your intelligent and accurate account of the game that is no way biased.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Gagner is still pointless... Do we even have a pointless player?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Most goals. check.
Tied for most assists. check,
Most points. check.
Best plus minus on the team. check.
Second best at face offs @ 51%
Leads the centers in hits with 9. 7 more than the next closest center.
Most takeaways.
second most blocks
least giveaways

Wow. I kind of thought you were half joking. So sad to see that you seriously believe this. Especially after a paltry five games.

I'd go through and talk about each stat you've mentioned, but why bother since its obvious to anyone not "deaf, dumb, blind or insane" that Arcobello is just an AHL scrub filling in until MacT can find the time to do his job and get the team a real center to roll out. Suggesting that he might be better than a ten plus year NHL veteran or a first overall pick is so laughable I don't even know what to do with the comment. Its amazing to me that some of the guys who were all over another poster for suggesting that RNH might not top 55 points aren't here in this thread telling you how nuts your suggestion is. I guess they like to pick their spots, or maybe Arcobello is so irrelevant that they can't even muster up interest to click on a thread with his name on it (unless it contains Gagner's name too - they seem to be all over that one).

Just let me ask you one question ... if Arcobello is playing like the best center (I can barely type that with a straight face) please tell me why his line was the most irrelevant line last night against the Bolts. Please tell me why he only got 11 minutes of ice. Please tell me why he wasn't the one selected to handle the task of going up against Stamkos all night. Please tell me why it was the RNH line and the Gordon line that turned the game around for the team while Arcobello sat on the bench.

I suppose in a few months you'll be just like the former supporters of other non-NHL players like Dubnyk (who actually suggested he deserved a Team Canada nod) or MPS (who told us all that he was the future of the team) and then never had a peep to say when their thoughts were proven ridiculous. That's OK, I'm a gentleman, so when Arcobello washes out of the league (as he certainly will) I won't rub it in. ;)

Lewy

May 26, 2011
This guy must work his ass off in the gym. He's a lot stronger than people give him credit for.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Not to give you ammunition but Nuge last game passed a puck, while shorthanded, from deep in opponent end, back to opponent blueline. Potentially leaving 3 Oilers stranded high and dry with only of course 4 Oiler skaters on the ice. He actually did this. Nobody commented on it because immediate disaster didn't ensue, despite Stamkos being on the ice. It was a cluster**** moment that makes hockey purists pull their hairs out..Howie Meeker would implode seeing this.

This occurring in a game where Eakins spent a whole 10mins of his pregame talk about the players being focused on where and when Stamkos and other skilled Lightning players are on the ice and playing accordingly with smart sensible play and avoiding critical mistakes.

The worst thing is on the sequence Nuge capped off a brilliant short handed foray with a colossally stupid decision. The type of thing I look at as evidence of learning with class evidently still being in session.

To that end and especially on the PK I much prefer Arco's safe plays and anybody should.

Its high time for RNH with hundreds of NHL games experience to start knowing better.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not to give you ammunition but Nuge last game passed a puck, while shorthanded, from deep in opponent end, back to opponent blueline. Potentially leaving 3 Oilers stranded high and dry with only of course 4 Oiler skaters on the ice. He actually did this. Nobody commented on it because immediate disaster didn't ensue, despite Stamkos being on the ice. It was a cluster**** moment that makes hockey purists pull their hairs out..Howie Meeker would implode seeing this.

This occurring in a game where Eakins spent a whole 10mins of his pregame talk about the players being focused on where and when Stamkos and other skilled Lightning players are on the ice and playing accordingly with smart sensible play and avoiding critical mistakes.

The worst thing is on the sequence Nuge capped off a brilliant short handed foray with a colossally stupid decision. The type of thing I look at as evidence of learning with class evidently still being in session.

To that end and especially on the PK I much prefer Arco's safe plays and anybody should.

Its high time for RNH with hundreds of NHL games experience to start knowing better.

Thanks.

I really try to be as unbiased as possible even to players I like a lot. Nuge is my second favorite player after Hall. Just because he is one of my favorites doesn't mean I will turn a blind eye to his generally weak defensive play to start the year.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
What's the word on Arco's shot this year? I seem to recall last year it was a bit of a muffin and thus not much of a threat, but I've only been able to watch a couple games so far this year and only sporadically at that.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Marcobello can play against from 2nd to 4th lines and produce. Against 1st lines soso. He is a keeper and able to fill 2nd line job before Leon takes it over.

I bet he will get 45pts this season. Sure he is better than Gagner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad