Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well can't wait for Marino to prove some main board people wrong.

It isn't like he had a great partner or was sheltered.

He played with an anchor Jack Johnson.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Good Lord this makes me feel old. He's just a kid! So glad to have him locked up.
0e2eab3f7a3e139a321ded9681513e71.jpg

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yeah, not like that foreign passionless overpaid brat Kapanen.
Alright, Pixies, I've not pissed anyone off (to my knowledge) in here for at least a month, so maybe it is time for redemption? "Scuttlebutt" from Toronto is that Kappy ain't the brightest bulb. Yohe has suggested that, pre-immigration issue, there are maturity issues with the guy. He was the focus of an expensive August trade, consummated nearly 4.5 months ago. After the trade, no one knew whether camp would start in October, December, January, or whenever. Kappy has an agent who is well-compensated to provide fiduciary representation and administrative support to his client. Missing his first camp back when penciled in as a top line winger in a highly compressed, competitive season, are incredibly poor optics, irrespective of who (or anyone) is to blame. Kapanen should have been ready and champing at the bit for camp regardless of when it started, absent some type of exculpatory excuse we haven't heard. I hope (and suspect) we won't remember this blip come April, but right now, it sure seems like a careless, unforced error. Let's hope, once we finally get back to normal, cross-border hockey, he doesn't room with Casey DeSmith for godsake... ;-) ,

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This signing really highlights how much most of the posters on the main board follow other teams: not at all.
What?

Are people unhappy about Marino being signed? My only issue is JR and his whacky need to sign very long term. Which is fine. If this team doesn't f*** up Marino's development it's an amazing deal.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If pairing him with Jack Johnson didn't mess up his development, I don't know what could. He's bullet proof.
Yeah I get that. But I have zero faith in this coaching staff and their ability to develop at the moment. Would love to be proven wrong but yeah. I will say I'm a huge fan of Marino's and I'm glad to see him locked up.

Marino literally excelled because he's that smart and hard working and let's not forget his skill. They did nothing, bloke showed up and owned.

But there's no way this team keeps Pettersson after this season I think and that makes me happy as well.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If they move Letang after this year, they may expose Petts to Seattle but my guess is he is here in 2022/23 and moved when his contract has only 3 years left. Now if Petts is claimed then that frees up money for a run at Hamilton but no way they can bring in Hamilton for over 7 million as a FA. The only way this works is Zucker is moved and Poulin is good enough to play up and Petts is claimed.

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
If they move Letang after this year, they may expose Petts to Seattle but my guess is he is here in 2022/23 and moved when his contract has only 3 years left.
They may expose him to the Kraken, but assuming the D roster doesn't change between now and this summer's expansion draft, I can't imagine the Pens protecting Ruh, Matheson, Riikola or freaking Ceci over Petts, and that's pretty much what the decision would come to. If Matheson proves underwhelming, he should be the first to be unprotected for contract reasons if nothing else.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They may expose him to the Kraken, but assuming the D roster doesn't change between now and this summer's expansion draft, I can't imagine the Pens protecting Ruh, Matheson, Riikola or freaking Ceci over Petts, and that's pretty much what the decision would come to. If Matheson proves underwhelming, he should be the first to be unprotected for contract reasons if nothing else.

Assuming they go 7F the will protect Letang and Dumo with Marino being exempt. So ot come down to does Matheson. If he is great he will stay if not he will be exposed.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am assuming Matheson plays well and they like his game as a number 2 caliber D man. Thus Petts with that contract is up for grabs.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Assuming they go 7F the will protect Letang and Dumo with Marino being exempt. So ot come down to does Matheson. If he is great he will stay if not he will be exposed.
Agreed, it seems likely that the Pens will go the 7-3-1 route versus adding fwd # 8 on either ZAR, Blueger, McCann, Rodriques, Jankowski, Lafferty or Sceviour. Granted, we could possibly miss having ZAR, Blue, or even Lafferty, but I don't think Ron Francis is going to pick one of those guys while building his spankin' new $650 million franchise.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I think his ceiling is maybe Glen Wesley type of D. Really good #2D who can fill in for a #1 if needed. Minute eating Dman that can play in all situations.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
What?

Are people unhappy about Marino being signed? My only issue is JR and his whacky need to sign very long term. Which is fine. If this team doesn't f*** up Marino's development it's an amazing deal.
A lot of people think it is a big risk and that Marino did not earn it and had no leverage. The general tone is that they haven't heard of this guy so he isn't worth the contract.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I know Paul Martin gets brought up as a comparable and i understand it. Smart, unflashy all around D man. But here a fun fact. JM scored 22 even strength points last year in 56 games. Paul Martin only bettered that number once in 15 seasons (26 pts) and it took him 81 games to do it.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I like the deal. He was a rock last year and I think he has the tools and IQ to see an uptick in his offense. Get him some PP time and he could be a 40-50 point defenseman playing 20+min a night.

However, I think some people are being willfully ignorant of the risk. The fact is he was an unknown prospect just over a year ago. Now, after 50-some games, he's making decent coin for a long time. People thought we had the next Lindstrom after Maatta's rookie season and then we was a whipping boy by his end in Pittsburgh. Petts was the next Dumo after his first 50-some games in Pittsburgh. Now half the board thinks he's an overpaid 3rd pairing defenseman who the Pens will have to dump at some point. Shit, some people even thought Gudbranson wasn't that bad after 20 games. I'm not predicting it will happen with Marino, but we've seen small sample sizes come back to bite teams in the ass.

Again, I like the signing, and it's a risk well worth taking, but there is some risk here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like the deal. He was a rock last year and I think he has the tools and IQ to see an uptick in his offense. Get him some PP time and he could be a 40-50 point defenseman playing 20+min a night.

However, I think some people are being willfully ignorant of the risk. The fact is he was an unknown prospect just over a year ago. Now, after 50-some games, he's making decent coin for a long time. People thought we had the next Lindstrom after Maatta's rookie season and then we was a whipping boy by his end in Pittsburgh. Petts was the next Dumo after his first 50-some games in Pittsburgh. Now half the board thinks he's an overpaid 3rd pairing defenseman who the Pens will have to dump at some point. Shit, some people even thought Gudbranson wasn't that bad after 20 games. I'm not predicting it will happen with Marino, but we've seen small sample sizes come back to bite teams in the ass.

Again, I like the signing, and it's a risk well worth taking, but there is some risk here.

Maatta's career was derailed due to injuries, and frankly I have a hard time complaining about Maatta when he was a top-4 D on 2 cup winning teams. The hate that Pettersson gets from some on this board is just idiocy, it's not at all indicative of reality. HFBoards parroting nonsense doesn't make it indicative of reality, regardless of how many people believe it.

I could see something similar happening to Marino as what happened with Pettersson, but that was fans being dumb. The "hate" Pettersson gets is because people put way too high of expectations on him after 2018-2019, and when he didn't hit those lofty expectations, people way over-corrected and began acting like he sucked because he didn't hit their obscene expectations. That's not at all indicative of how he's playing, it's just fans being idiots.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Maataa had alot of things go terribly wrong and still managed to be a worth his contract.

Pettersson was nowhere near the level Marino played at last season and got only 400k less AAV.

Plus Pettersson also only gets as much shit as he does because he plys a very vanilla game. Hes worth his contract.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Both Maatta and Pettersson are more or less worth their contracts in the NHL and are arguably as much examples of how public perception can turn against dmen when their end results haven't changed as they are examples of fading after short samples. And the fact that even when in less than sparkling form, Maatta's and Pettersson's results make 4m look fair is a good example of why the risk level is pretty low. And maybe also why dman pay in the NHL is very puzzling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad