Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So all of this talk about him being the eventual successor to #58 at PP Point is a smokescreen? Do we even have a replacement in a Penguins uniform? Riikola? Dear god.

I don't think it's entirely a smokescreen. Rutherford seemed pretty interested in the idea. Whether it'll work out is hard to say, but he's got the hockey IQ, skating, and passing. What he might not have is the shot and specific attacking zone vision/poise - he hasn't looked a PP natural so far, but he clearly learns pretty quick so who knows in the future. And as regularly pointed out by many, it's not like Letang doesn't have PP flaws himself.

That said... he's not getting there while Letang is here, and I'd imagine that if they have Letang's salary to throw at dmen, sooner or later they'd get a better one.

I know Matheson has had some awfully rocky games in his time here. But he's also shown just the kinds of intriguing flashes I was hoping for. I know it sounds like excuse-making a bit and I wish his contract wasn't a thing but I really want to see him on this roster for a full season before I start joining in too hard on all the bashing.

There's a world of difference between a guy like him and, say, Jack Johnson. Matheson has the ability to figure things out and I think this is the kind of team/style he could really thrive in.

I will rag on Matheson's ability to make bad decisions in his own zone all day long, and be convinced he should be a winger as a result, but he's pretty much perfect for an attacking D to exploit soft minutes on the bottom pairing who can move up when needed. The problem is, as you say, we're paying far too much for the privilege.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think it's entirely a smokescreen. Rutherford seemed pretty interested in the idea. Whether it'll work out is hard to say, but he's got the hockey IQ, skating, and passing. What he might not have is the shot and specific attacking zone vision/poise - he hasn't looked a PP natural so far, but he clearly learns pretty quick so who knows in the future. And as regularly pointed out by many, it's not like Letang doesn't have PP flaws himself.

That said... he's not getting there while Letang is here, and I'd imagine that if they have Letang's salary to throw at dmen, sooner or later they'd get a better one.

I will rag on Matheson's ability to make bad decisions in his own zone all day long, and be convinced he should be a winger as a result, but he's pretty much perfect for an attacking D to exploit soft minutes on the bottom pairing who can move up when needed. The problem is, as you say, we're paying far too much for the privilege.
Agreed. Plus, we will have 5 d-men scheduled to make over $4 million next year, cap-wise. When you overpay your d, you can’t have a third pairing player making almost $5 million.

Matheson is also on pace to score 18 points this season. He’s a far cry from the dynamic offensive player people think he is on this board.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This discussion is highlighting for me that we better sign Letang to an extension this summer...he has warts and all, but he still has his wheels and his offensive instincts on D are irreplaceable by our current set of D man ... and it’s not like we’re flush with a young D prospect who’s going to be the next Letang or Carlson or Hedman etc....

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This discussion is highlighting for me that we better sign Letang to an extension this summer...he has warts and all, but he still has his wheels and his offensive instincts on D are irreplaceable by our current set of D man ... and it’s not like we’re flush with a young D prospect who’s going to be the next Letang or Carlson or Hedman etc....

Yeah you look at the roster right now on D and it's like Letang and then... <huge gap> ...everyone else.

Cody Ceci is the second most productive defenseman on the team. Cody Ceci.

That's fair of course. But you guys need to realize that dude has a better percentage chance of finding his game in his natural position than playing forward despite the same like 2 1/2 examples of success cited there over the course of like... forever. To say it's extremely uncommon is a bit of an understatement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He already is worth 4.4M. Even if he continues to barely score, his influence on the ice is fantastic in both directions.
If all Marino becomes is a RHS Brian Dumoulin, that will be fine. And for the record I think RHS Dumoulin is closer to his floor than it is his ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad