Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Maatta's career was derailed due to injuries, and frankly I have a hard time complaining about Maatta when he was a top-4 D on 2 cup winning teams. The hate that Pettersson gets from some on this board is just idiocy, it's not at all indicative of reality. HFBoards parroting nonsense doesn't make it indicative of reality, regardless of how many people believe it.

I could see something similar happening to Marino as what happened with Pettersson, but that was fans being dumb. The "hate" Pettersson gets is because people put way too high of expectations on him after 2018-2019, and when he didn't hit those lofty expectations, people way over-corrected and began acting like he sucked because he didn't hit their obscene expectations. That's not at all indicative of how he's playing, it's just fans being idiots.
I agree. I would say the same about Olli and I think some people are setting Marino up to be a similar disappointment by saying he's going to take over the #1D spot from Letang. That's certainly the hope, but should not be the expectation. Not after 56 games in the NHL.

I think people assume players will improve just because they are young, but that's not always the case. Maatta went from being the next Lindstrom to being a cap dump 2 off seasons in a row. It's too early to say where Petts will end up, but he went from being the next Dumo to being 'fine'. There's a risk Marino sees a similar regression. It's a risk worth taking in Marino's case IMO, but it's a risk nonetheless.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
18heZrSVSoauiBpjvBs6_jeff-goldblum-this-parody-jurassic-world-trailer-seriously-feels-like-an-acid-trip-gif-256882.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JM: 'Hey JR I lugged around your mistake last year and was statistically one of the best defensemen in the league.'

JR: 'Here's a check write in the number for you to not sue me for negligence'
The greatest trick John Marino ever pulled on the Penguins fan base was making people think Jack Johnson and Marcus Pettersson were good at some point.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hey fellas. Can you guys tell me why Marino has been so unproductive this season compared to last? What kind of stat line do you expect from him. Thanks for any info.

He's not a natural offensive guy. He's a defensive guy who is mobile enough and smart enough to get his share of points, but likely won't ever be a consistent offensive threat.

I do think his offense is a bit lower this year than it should be, but in general he's probably a guy who'll score 25+ points per season who excels in the defensive end and in transition.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So all of this talk about him being the eventual successor to #58 at PP Point is a smokescreen? Do we even have a replacement in a Penguins uniform? Riikola? Dear god.

If we choose to run him as a successor to #58, his points will go up by virtue of being there.

Doesn't mean it's necessarily the right thing for the team.

If we're stuck with Matheson I'd pencil him in as the longer-term PPQB personally.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Marino still has room to grow. NHL dman usually peak a little later then fowards. Ive seen many dman hit around 26-27 years old. Of course you have those that develop sooner. I like what I see from Marino and think he can be a real solid 3-4 for this team

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
If we choose to run him as a successor to #58, his points will go up by virtue of being there.

If we're stuck with Matheson I'd pencil him in as the longer-term PPQB personally.
I was terrified I would hear the word "Matheson" in response to my question, but I concede he does have nifty offensive skills and can skate. It would serve me right for ever bitching about Letang.

Reactions: Gurglesons

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Don't think either are anywhere close to Letang's PP successor. Marino's smart and can make a nice pass, skate with the puck well but you can tell he probably hasn't played much on the PP since his USHL days. Matheson can really lug the puck but the rest of his offensive skills are very meh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know Matheson has had some awfully rocky games in his time here. But he's also shown just the kinds of intriguing flashes I was hoping for. I know it sounds like excuse-making a bit and I wish his contract wasn't a thing but I really want to see him on this roster for a full season before I start joining in too hard on all the bashing.

There's a world of difference between a guy like him and, say, Jack Johnson. Matheson has the ability to figure things out and I think this is the kind of team/style he could really thrive in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hey fellas. Can you guys tell me why Marino has been so unproductive this season compared to last? What kind of stat line do you expect from him. Thanks for any info.

Well first off the whole team started like 2000lbs of chewed bubblegum, but particularly Malkin, who was a decent part of his point scoring last season and the forward he's played with most of this season. Then he jumped around a lot LD, 1st pairing, 2nd pairing, thanks to injuries. Then the rest of the team got better but Marino decided it would be more fun to stay shit, partly due to a very messed up pairing with Matheson, and now without him.

And beyond that, there's simply a thing where Marino was in on 40% of goals at 5v5 last season - which is pretty elite for a dman, that's where Letang lives - and now he's in on about 19%. Which is stay at home dman time.

So a lot of background noise, and a lot of Marino just not being as good. And the big question is which season is the truer one and which is the mirage.

Me, I think he's likely to return closer to elite levels than stay at stay at home. His ability to move the puck is too good not to get in on points. But a lot depends on shit like who he's partnered with, the rest of the team around him, and so on.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I honestly think that a lot of the sophomore slump is simply that the league has seen you, now. And won't sleep on your shifts. Marino not immune.

But yeah for the record I still think he's gonna be fine. But was never really a "numbers" guy to begin with. Just very smart. Puck was "following" him a lot last season. Not so much in this one.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think also that Marino's unique ability to quickly beat his man where he starts facing his own goal and then ends up facing up-ice is still there. Like along the boards between the red and our own blue line. But it isn't nearly as useful on the PP as it is at even strength as far as driving offense.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
So all of this talk about him being the eventual successor to #58 at PP Point is a smokescreen? Do we even have a replacement in a Penguins uniform? Riikola? Dear god.

Not many Letang types in the league. Rutherford has done a great job of adding youth to the blue line over the last 2 years with Pettersson, Marino, POJ, Matheson, Lee, and Maniscalco. Not worried about a Letang replacement. When that time comes it will be time to tank for the top picks. Will get our future Letang then. I think Letang, Crosby, and Malkin will most likely go out together. Once one goes it will be time for a rebuild and I don't think any of them will want to do that. All have the skills to play for several more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know Matheson has had some awfully rocky games in his time here. But he's also shown just the kinds of intriguing flashes I was hoping for. I know it sounds like excuse-making a bit and I wish his contract wasn't a thing but I really want to see him on this roster for a full season before I start joining in too hard on all the bashing.

There's a world of difference between a guy like him and, say, Jack Johnson. Matheson has the ability to figure things out and I think this is the kind of team/style he could really thrive in.

Yeah. Unlike JJ, MM is actually good at some things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad