Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Woah. Today, that seems like a steal. He plays the same he did last season, it's a substantial underpayment. He improves and this gets ridiculous. He can afford to regress a decent amount and it still looks good.

Famous last words, obvs he now gets super disease super mix and loses a leg because that's how we do it in the Pens.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I would’ve been tentative if you told me he was signing for 6 years, bc I would’ve thought case he was getting ~6 mil. This is solid.

Worst case he regresses it’s and it’s just a meh but movable contract akin to Maatta or Petts, best case it’s one of the best deals in the entire league. I like it a lot.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Woah. Today, that seems like a steal. He plays the same he did last season, it's a substantial underpayment. He improves and this gets ridiculous. He can afford to regress a decent amount and it still looks good.

Famous last words, obvs he now gets super disease super mix and loses a leg because that's how we do it in the Pens.

From Marino’s perspective, I wonder why he wouldn’t have taken a bridge or slightly less term instead? Like I get that $26.4 mil is a lot of money, but this will lock him up until he’s 29.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
A 6th round pick turns into 6 years.

d2a981d72bbb360684b864bfd2c61b1a3cf0abed.gifv

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
From Marino’s perspective, I wonder why he wouldn’t have taken a bridge or slightly less term instead? Like I get that $26.4 mil is a lot of money, but this will lock him up until he’s 29.

He was a prospect with very little pedigree who just had a breakout year. If I were his agent, I would advice him to cash in now.

Sure, he probably won't become completely useless and should be worth AT LEAST his contract, but it is all about security, especially in this COVID world... ESPECIALLY for a guy who was a "no name" before last season.

And 29 is not old... especially not for a d-man. That should be his absolute peak.

Long story short, he would not be signing that contract if he was a former top 10 pick.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'd have asked for a bridge in his shoes too. Maybe he looks at the current climate and thinks best to take the guaranteed money and have another chance to cash in at 29.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean in 6 years if he progresses how we want and I’m sure how he plans—

the cap will be higher and he’d make up the 10M difference (vs a 6x6 deal) within a year or two on his next deal.

Makes sense on all sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad