Recalled/Assigned: Marek Hrivik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He played pretty well.

I dislike this was their last option to try, to go to a player they have had on the farm for a long time, one who was among the last cuts several years in a row. Instead they went through Stoll, Paille before even trying it. Why don't they just trust their farm more?

I guess I feel like that is partially why the Rangers never develop any 4th liners, the philosophy is to add them in from the outside and only when that fails add one in.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hrivik and Bourque should have been the 4th line wings from the start of the season. They both make next to nothing, provide energy and are solid 2-way players.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hrivik is really good. No clue why it took this long to give the guy a shot at being a bottom-six depth player. He looks absolutely comfortable killing penalties, and has some good offensive instincts. Perfect 4th line winger. Please keep him up, Rangers.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
It's so obvious seeing Hrivik skate along Glass, how much better he is than Glass and how terrible the "better" version of Glass still is.

Keram

Jan 16, 2016
Seeing as you are from Slovakia, can you explain the difference between Czechs and Slovaks and why there was such a divide even before the separation of the 2 nations.

IMO the main reason is the slovaks and czechs have different languages and we are different nations as well. Masaryk and others had idea that slovak language is some type of dialect of czech language to support idea of Czechoslovakia. But it is not true obviously. We understand each other though. We used to have and still have close to each other. There were lot of mixed marriages in Czechoslovakia. I have familly in Czech Republic because of that. When we speak to each other they speak czech I speak slovak and we perfectly understand each other. I think there are not two languages so similar to each other. Last couple of years there are some tv shows such as czechoslovak Superstar or Czechia-slovakia got talent. There are slovaks competitors, czech competitors, czech judges with slovak judges and slovak an czech hosts. They speak their respective languages and everybody understand each other. :) Although I think czech kids have some trouble to understand slovak these days. There is not much slovak in czech TVs. Slovaks have for example kids stations in czech language. We have Eurosport, NGC, Discovery etc. only in czech for slovak market.

And of course Hrivik :). I am really glad he played well. I though he will go to Europe next season but if he will stay 1st team rest of season he could sign new contract. :yo:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
IMO the main reason is the slovaks and czechs have different languages and we are different nations as well. Masaryk and others had idea that slovak language is some type of dialect of czech language to support idea of Czechoslovakia. But it is not true obviously. We understand each other though. We used to have and still have close to each other. There were lot of mixed marriages in Czechoslovakia. I have familly in Czech Republic because of that. When we speak to each other they speak czech I speak slovak and we perfectly understand each other. I think there are not two languages so similar to each other. Last couple of years there are some tv shows such as czechoslovak Superstar or Czechia-slovakia got talent. There are slovaks competitors, czech competitors, czech judges with slovak judges and slovak an czech hosts. They speak their respective languages and everybody understand each other. :) Although I think czech kids have some trouble to understand slovak these days. There is not much slovak in czech TVs. Slovaks have for example kids stations in czech language. We have Eurosport, NGC, Discovery etc. only in czech for slovak market.

And of course Hrivik :). I am really glad he played well. I though he will go to Europe next season but if he will stay 1st team rest of season he could sign new contract. :yo:

Yes, it`s exciting, I really hope we can find a spot for him, because he is a promising player indeed! :nod:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Keep him up for now. Liked what he brought.

He keeps this up and we get rid of Glass (lol) we've improved the team without doing much.

Fast for as well as he's played should be on the 4th line because he's just too good defensively to be used in a scoring role.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Keep him up for now. Liked what he brought.

He keeps this up and we get rid of Glass (lol) we've improved the team without doing much.

Fast for as well as he's played should be on the 4th line because he's just too good defensively to be used in a scoring role.

Hrivik-Moore-Fast
Hrivik-Moore-Lindberg
Hrivik-Moore-Stalberg

Hrivik is reminding me a bit of Boyle on how he could cycle the puck, maybe even a better passer andt vision too. These are all solid 4th line options and a major upgrade from what they've had. Getting Nash back, maybe getting someone like Buch should push some guys back down. But who are we kidding with AV. Groton just needs to move Glass at the trade deadline and tell AV the other team insisted on him being included.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've been saying forever (along with others like Bacon, cwede, Trxjw, etc.) that Hrivik is a better player than his AHL stats suggest. It was only a few months ago that I said he'd be playing regularly on more than a few teams in the league, but instead is blocked here by flotsam like Glass (and later Paille). I'm not surprised to see that he hasn't looked out of place in his very brief stint with the club.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like him a lot, and think he has more to offer than Bourque.

Bourque is faster sure, but Hrivik has a little bit of Dwight King in his game in a smaller body. Very disciplined along the walls.

Perfect 4th liner for a containment game.

The Rangers need their current 4th line to play and fill the role that Prust-Boyle-Fedetenko line did a bunch of years back.

All three killed penalties, they cycled down low, were physical, wore teams down and could go up against a top 6 unit when needed. If they can address that, they I like my chances in the playoffs.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I would be very surprised if he is still a Ranger after the deadline.

This whole called up just screams showcase because frankly, there were more deserving players that could have been called up. Odd that he gets his first crack at the NHL during the week there is a handful of scouts at each game. We shall see.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This year
Miller - Brass - Zucc
Nash - Stepan - Doan
Kreider - Hayes - Fast
Weiss - Moore - Stalberg
Hrivik

Next year
Miller - Brass - Zucc
Nash - Stepan - Buch
Kreider - Hayes - Fast
Hrivik - Moore - Stalberg/UFA/Prospect/trade
Spare

Maybe Nash and/or Kreider are dealt in the offseason

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

This whole called up just screams showcase because frankly, there were more deserving players that could have been called up. Odd that he gets his first crack at the NHL during the week there is a handful of scouts at each game. We shall see.

Who's more deserving? Honest question. I think they've already seen bits of Bourque and Megna and weren't overall happy so they wanted to see someone else. Showcasing a 4th line player also doesn't make a ton of sense. Hrivik isn't the type of play teams are demanding to see in NHL action

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Showcase? For what? A late round pick?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

I highly doubt this, Hrivik was on waivers at the begining of the season and most teams have similar players to him in their system. He got called up because the 4th line and pk have been bad. Paille wasn't exactly helping.

Who exactly is more deserving for a 4th line role and pk role? Megna already got his shot and didn't do anything while on the 4th line.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

i totally disagree with " there were more deserving players"

he absolutely earned it,

but also, please, who "were more deserving players"

Gibbons, a smurf is under-performing;
Bourque, a smurf, hasnt excelled,
Nehring doesnt count,
tambo isn't ready
Adam cant stay in the lineup

to me the only one close was Jensen, he just got here,
while Hrivik and NYR have invested 4 years in each other

Hrivik's points weren't great, but he's 2d in points and first in assists
the team is low scoring, low totals for everyone on the team, at the top is an AHL lifer

he was playing top minutes, in all situations,
including at C and taking FO's
and usually playing at even strength with lesser or new players

his play this week, especially yesterday, already is more effective and promising than shown by Stoll, Etem, Glass, Megna or Paille
I'd rather he stick around a s depth forward

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Basically this.

He will be the throw in B prospect in a trade.

You don't need to showcase those guys

Overthinking it. The Rangers needed a change on their fourth line so they called up a player, that's all

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They won't showcase a guy that other teams could have gotten for free not too long ago, or claim off of waivers in the fall if he's still in NA.

At the end of last year's playoff run all the HFD guys said Lindberg and McIlrath were the ones to make an impact in training camp. Those were the only two NHLers that the org had coming.

Then you had a couple of guys that perhaps could fill some roles. Hrivik and Bourque were the two after that. Early on this year, HFD was awful.

The only player that deserved a look got the look and that was Megna. But he can't fill a checking PK role.

It came down to Hrivik and Bourque. Like I said earlier, they bring different elements, but Hrivik gives you some more size, ability to win battles on the walls, and full 200 foot game with some decent hands and the ability to play center if needed.

That's more than Glass and Paille.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hrivik's style (unlike Bourque's) is perfectly suited to being a modern 4th liner. I still think he's one small step below where he needs to be to play in the NHL. He was basically the same 3 years ago, which is why I was thinking at the time that he'll definitely play in the NHL. But 3 years later and only a tiny bit improved, and I'm not so sure. Before we proclaim either Hrivik or Bourque to be our future 4th line wingers, let's keep in mind that everyone works extra hard in their first few games, and the opposite team has little scouting done on the player. He'll settle in after a few games. I really think he's that borderline player who can either be a 1st liner in the AHL or a 4th liner in the NHL. He needs to take one last step forward. Who knows if he does it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad