Recalled/Assigned: Marek Hrivik

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He is definitely not soft. Don't expect a Miller-type player who scores 20 goals a season, but he could be compared to Jesper Fast.

Fast is somewhat smaller and a quicker and faster skater. Hrivik I expect will be a better boards guy than Fast. Between these two guys there are some things that are comparable and some other things not so much.

Hopefully Hrivik can fit in--he's not really proven to be all that productive as far as points go--even if he is second in Wolfpack scoring. His upside is 4th line NHL---no higher.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Good for him.... His been working his tail off down there for what feels like forever now .... Hioefully he takes this opportunity and runs with it and never looks back.. For both himself and for everyone cause the 4th line needs a spark

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Fast is somewhat smaller and a quicker and faster skater. Hrivik I expect will be a better boards guy than Fast. Between these two guys there are some things that are comparable and some other things not so much.

Hopefully Hrivik can fit in--he's not really proven to be all that productive as far as points go--even if he is second in Wolfpack scoring. His upside is 4th line NHL---no higher.

He has decent size and good strength. If he can play a physical game and win some board battles, I'd be happy. It'd be better than both what we had/hve in Paille and Glass (even though, honestly, Glass has looked a little better as of late).

The scoring on this team isn't the problem...you've watched the games. It's the other side of the puck and playing a physical, defensive game. If Hrivik can add to that aspect, then he's playing the role we need. Any offense he can pitch in would just be gravy.

That's just my opinion.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I hope he doesn't only get time with the 4th line.

I assume he has some decent experience playing with Lindberg, move Stalberg down with Moore and Glass and give Hrivik a look with Oscar and Hayes.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Marek Hrivik will be the 9th Slovakian player to play for the Rangers.

The other 8 were:
Jozef Balej (13 games, 1 goal, 4 assists in 2003-2004)
Ivan Baranka (1 game, 0 goals, 1 assist in 2007-2008)
Zdeno Ciger (29 games, 6 goals, 7 assists in 2001-2002)
Marian Gaborik (255 games, 114 goals, 115 assists between 2009 and 2013)
Marcel Hossa (164 games, 21 goals, 21 assists between 2005 and 2008)
Richard Lintner (10 games, 1 goal, 0 assists in 2002-2003)
Ronald Petrovicky (66 games, 5 goals,9 assists in 2002-2003)
Peter Smrek (22 games, 0 goals, 4 assists between 2000 and 2002)

No Slovaks until 21 century? And who here remembers the fanfare which accompanied Ciger' signing?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well deserved. Came in as a scorer but they've been grooming him as a checker.

Not the fastest player, but he works hard and plays a safe checking game while having some good hands.

Blocks shots, knows where to be, good along the walls and drives the net.

He plays more of a grinding game than most other players.

He's been HFD's checking line center on many occasions and has shut down skilled players in the AHL.

Great work ethic, and he's one of those players that can inject some life into a locker room with his effort.

This could very well be his only shot at an NHL career, so you will see this guy work.

He's a total pro, takes his craft seriously.

If he was a faster skater he'd have been up already.

He can also roof the puck in and around the net. Doesn't happen too often but he's got hands.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really hoping that Hrivik plays well and sticks. He's been one of those fringe players that's done everything the club has asked him to do, has improved each year and plays the game right. He's a solid Hockey player who's not very flashy but gets the job done.

There are a few guys in every franchise that are good enough to play in the NHL but never get a crack at it and usually don't stick with the big club because the staff doesn't give them enough time to acclimate to the league. I hope the Rangers are giving this kid a legit chance and give him 10-15 games instead of making a snap judgement and sending him back after 4 or 6 games.

He's worked really hard in the training camps the past several seasons and he always seems to be the odd man out of roster each year because some of the lower line guys are proven vets or have a better pedigree. So I'm rooting hard for him and I honestly think he could help the team in this role.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not going to be an offensive contributor but if he can do what Fast has done he can stick in this lineup. Our 4th line has been awful without speed on the wings. Notably, I'd say the exact same thing about Bourque, though I have heard Hrivik is more durable.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not going to be an offensive contributor but if he can do what Fast has done he can stick in this lineup. Our 4th line has been awful without speed on the wings. Notably, I'd say the exact same thing about Bourque, though I have heard Hrivik is more durable.

RyBo will force the play to move faster, but good defensemen that know what they're doing can make the smart play.

Hrivik isn't as fast to close the gap, but he can win board battles. Very disciplined on the walls and in coverage.

The Rangers had RyBo as a Black Ace last year while HFD was on their way to the Eastern Finals. The Wolfpack had Lindberg as their offensive center, and Hrivik as their defensive center.

They didn't miss RyBo as much as I thought they would.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

I've followed him since junior and have felt his ceiling is a decent 3rd liner - - always believed he had the tools to be an effective bottom 6 NHLer, glad to see him get a shot.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Didn't look out of place on the 4th line, just as awful as without him.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I hope he doesn't only get time with the 4th line.

I assume he has some decent experience playing with Lindberg, move Stalberg down with Moore and Glass and give Hrivik a look with Oscar and Hayes.

First off, Lindberg and Hrivik both played center for the Wolfpack--doubt they played together very much, if at all.

Second, he's not being called up to play on the third line--which has been quite good of last. Hrivik's job is to help stabilize the 4th line, so it functions well again and hopefully take some of the pressure off the penalty kill. However, the reality is he can't do it on his own: Moore has to get back into playing his role effectively for the 4th line to succeed.

Either way, doubt he'll be playing on the 3rd line except due to a slow line change.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
No Slovaks until 21 century? And who here remembers the fanfare which accompanied Ciger' signing?

With the country existing for just 23 years, it's not that surprising. Would probably be similar with Czech players... I'm interested if we had any players from the Slovak part of the CSSR but I'm too young to remember and too lazy to look it up, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad