Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani Larsson

Jan 18, 2021
Assuming the complications due to his covid infection is indeed myocarditis, there was a similar case in the DEL with a hockey player (Janik Möser).

Coronavirus: The hidden complications for athletes | DW | 02.12.2020

In October, Janik Möser, a defenseman with the DEL's Wolfsburg Grizzlys, tested positive for the coronavirus. After 10 days of self-quarantine Möser thought he was good to go and was keen to hit the ice again to prepare for the DEL season, the start of which has been delayed by a couple of months.
"The course (of the infection) was relatively mild," Möser told reporters at a recent press conference organized by the league. "I had mild symptoms and never felt extremely ill."
Fortunately for him, though, as a precaution, the Grizzlys' medical team insisted on conducting a series of tests before allowing him to return to the ice. The tests found that Möser, who said he felt perfectly fit at the time, had developed a serious health issue – that the doctors believe was brought on by his COVID-19 infection.

Nothing more strenuous than a leisurely stroll

"At the Charité (hospital) in Berlin, an examination revealed an inflammation of the heart muscle," the Grisslys' team doctor, Axel Gänsslen, told reporters. "This can be a trigger for sudden cardiac death."
As the doctor went on to explain, the real danger comes when the patient achieves a high heart rate associated with physical exertion. This is why the 25-year-old is under strict instructions from Wolfsburg's medical staff to avoid doing anything more strenuous than a leisurely stroll – and to regularly monitor his heart rate.
An inflammation of the heart muscle can take months to heal – even for an elite athlete, so Möser won't be allowed to return to the ice until at least January – and that will be conditional upon him being cleared to do so in a fresh battery of medical tests.​

Janik Möser was out 2 months and began training two weeks ago. He had his first game last Sunday.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There are all sorts of complications besides myocarditis that are being associated with Covid. There are other types of Carditis, and lung damage, among others. They can range in degree from mild to extremely severe.

The main thing right now is that his body heals, which usually involves rest so the damaged and scarred tissue can regrow. In some cases, the scarring can be permanent, causing an impediment to proper function long term. I would hope that he would be able to fully heal, but there are no guarantees. He appears to be one of those unlucky individuals who's immune system reacts unfavorably to this virus.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Only in MN would our top prospect who everyone is excited about falling to us in the draft misses 1.5 years of development due to a global pandemic. Just par for our course here. Man that really sucks.

Hoping for the absolute best in his recovery.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Man, its gotta be tough for this kid to sit still and let his body heal. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to train. Mom and Dad are gonna need to keep a tight leash on him.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Only in MN would our top prospect who everyone is excited about falling to us in the draft misses 1.5 years of development due to a global pandemic. Just par for our course here. Man that really sucks.

Hoping for the absolute best in his recovery.
It sucks forsure, I know of a another prospect who recovered fine and is having a great season. I’d be more concerned with the Austrian doctors who missed this/let him play.

also he hasn’t actually missed that much, season ended in March.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I never thought it was a good idea to rush him into the NHL simply because we needed a C, but this is not the way you want to stop that from happening. His development will be hampered significantly, and that's assuming his body does make it all the way back in time for training camp.
First things first. He needs to get fully healthy before he even thinks about getting back to training.

It sucks forsure, I know of a another prospect who recovered fine and is having a great season. I’d be more concerned with the Austrian doctors who missed this/let him play.

also he hasn’t actually missed that much, season ended in March.
I would imagine under normal circumstances that the examinations of young, junior age athletes is sometimes pretty cursory. Covid is throwing not only the public, but the medical and allied professions, all sorts of curves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I had a mild case of covid last March and am still recovering from it. Doctors don't really understand the phenomenon yet but they are fairly sure most cases are a post viral syndrome rather than organ damage. The thinking right now is that most people with the post viral syndrome have some combination of neurological and auto-immune issues combined with problems with the walls of small blood vessels. It seems to particularly effect people who exercise a lot and is triggered by exercise. It appears that it does eventually go away but a lot of people who got it in March are still dealing with it. The timeline is probably six months to two years.

The post viral syndrome hasn't gotten much press yet because the media is focusing on acute cases but a lot of the people who get covid get this so we will probably be hearing a lot more about it in the future.

In terms of timeline take everything they say about Rossi with a grain of salt. There isn't enough data yet for doctors to say how long it takes people to recover from this. The other issue is that he probably won't be able to work out until he is recovered so he will be starting from scratch physically.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I doubt a little time off is going to take him from a #1C to a non-NHLer. If he fully recovers from a medical standpoint, I'm sure this will just end up being a little blip on his career.
Reality is he may not be a #1 till 24, he may be ready now. It doesn’t seem like there’s a long term concern around him, so for now I’m happy he’s resting.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
ZI2H7gm.png

Magic 8 ball leaves no Wild fan untouched.

Reactions: Olcoach

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I'm shocked that the doctors of the Zurich Lions & the medical Staff at WJC (team Austria) missed this. It's dangerous to do professional sports in Ross's condition. There could have been a fatal heart failure on ice and nobody wants to see this.

I'm happy for the kid that the medical staff in Minnesota just have a good eye on their players. For Rossi, the situation sucks. He won't be playing this season but here is hope that he can make it for 2021/2022....

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Most post covid cases don't show up on standard tests. In May I was given a ct scan of my heart and lungs, an electrocardiogram of my heart, an array of breathing tests and a metabolic panel. Everything came back as normal despite the fact that I couldn't walk more than 30 feet and had extreme shortness of breath. It is mostly being diagnosed by people describing their symptoms to doctors.

Reactions: slovakia18

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

Really unfortunate news for your prospect but as many of you have mentioned, hopefully Marco has a full recovery and is back next season. Nice that he’s able to be back home with his family for a while. I’m thinking that’s going to help with his mental well-being too.

Thank you to everyone here who has contributed information & thoughts, one of my favourite aspects of HF.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad