Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Small update in Austrian newspapers today. Basically no real news, he is feeling well but is not allowed to train at all still. Is evaluated by doctors from the Wild and in Austria, he is looking OK but not allowed to train yet. Not expecting any permanent negative effects from Covid, expects to be 100% ready for camp, no chance at all to play before that. *sadface*
NHL-Talent Rossi kämpft mit den Folgen einer Corona-Infektion - derStandard.at

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Small update in Austrian newspapers today. Basically no real news, he is feeling well but is not allowed to train at all still. Is evaluated by doctors from the Wild and in Austria, he is looking OK but not allowed to train yet. Not expecting any permanent negative effects from Covid, expects to be 100% ready for camp, no chance at all to play before that. *sadface*
NHL-Talent Rossi kämpft mit den Folgen einer Corona-Infektion - derStandard.at

Good. No need to rush the guy into professional sports at the highest level ATM. He will comeback stronger than ever, he's got great work ethic. Calder candidate for 2021/2022, you read it first here.

Reactions: slovakia18

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Did anyone else read in one of Russo's recent articles something about the Wild flying him over here and having him re-evaluated by their medical staff?

Wasn't quite sure how to interpret that: not getting better, or ready to go?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Did anyone else read in one of Russo's recent articles something about the Wild flying him over here and having him re-evaluated by their medical staff?

Wasn't quite sure how to interpret that: not getting better, or ready to go?
It was always the plan. 6 weeks of keeping the heart rate down then get re-examined. Same protocol Stalock went through. All in all, he wouldn’t end up missing an amount of time that is considered extremely detrimental in a normal circumstance, Krebs for example tore his Achilles and recovered wel and is a great prospect, but combining this with COVID and the timing of the injury, he’ll have gone about 18 months without playing any extended period of games.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It was always the plan. 6 weeks of keeping the heart rate down then get re-examined. Same protocol Stalock went through. All in all, he wouldn’t end up missing an amount of time that is considered extremely detrimental in a normal circumstance, Krebs for example tore his Achilles and recovered wel and is a great prospect, but combining this with COVID and the timing of the injury, he’ll have gone about 18 months without playing any extended period of games.
I know Guerin said he will be shutdown for the year, but if his prognosis is good, I would put him into some end of season NHL games in Minnesota or Iowa in limited minutes. Nothing too instense, but enough to give him a bit of a run before the offseason.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I know Guerin said he will be shutdown for the year, but if his prognosis is good, I would put him into some end of season NHL games in Minnesota or Iowa in limited minutes. Nothing too instense, but enough to give him a bit of a run before the offseason.

Considering he hasn't been allowed to elevate his heartbeat for the past few months, let alone get any workouts in, I doubt he would have the conditioning to play in a HS game right now. If he medically clears, the best course of action would be to have him start working with the Wild strength and conditioning team on getting his strength and skating back and focus on his off-season program.

Reactions: TaLoN and MK9

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Considering he hasn't been allowed to elevate his heartbeat for the past few months, let alone get any workouts in, I doubt he would have the conditioning to play in a HS game right now. If he medically clears, the best course of action would be to have him start working with the Wild strength and conditioning team on getting his strength and skating back and focus on his off-season program.
Would he be able to play juniors on a conditioning stint?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would he be able to play juniors on a conditioning stint?

The OHL cancelled their season, so I'm not sure how that would work. Technically Ottawa still owns his rights, so I don't think he could play WHL or QMJHL. Maybe he could go to the USHL? But I'm not positive.

I think like MuckOG said, the best course of action is to get him working out and skating, but not playing. He's got a lot of work to do to be ready in September, no need to rush him into games anywhere.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The OHL cancelled their season, so I'm not sure how that would work. Technically Ottawa still owns his rights, so I don't think he could play WHL or QMJHL. Maybe he could go to the USHL? But I'm not positive.

I think like MuckOG said, the best course of action is to get him working out and skating, but not playing. He's got a lot of work to do to be ready in September, no need to rush him into games anywhere.
I agree not trying to push him too early just thinking if he does work back into shape I don’t think they’d wanna rush him into the nhl so was leaning towards juniors as something he has already played that pace before as a start

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Well there ya go. Thats where he will be. Wild will want top access and control of his health vs letting a chl team do that or God forbid let him go back home and have zsk risk his life again.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

If the OHL isn't running, he's allowed to play in the AHL this season. Wouldn't be terrible if he gets med cleared to get him some games down there before the season is done.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If the OHL isn't running, he's allowed to play in the AHL this season. Wouldn't be terrible if he gets med cleared to get him some games down there before the season is done.

I would bet it's all but a guarantee hes in the AHL next season unless he blows people away at camp and acing his health tests.

Reactions: 57special

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I would bet it's all but a guarantee hes in the AHL next season unless he blows people away at camp and acing his health tests.

It sounds like Rossi was penciled into the NHL line-up for this season....thats why I believe it's more of a 50/50 proposition as to where he starts next season.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It sounds like Rossi was penciled into the NHL line-up for this season....thats why I believe it's more of a 50/50 proposition as to where he starts next season.

According to what/whom? I've heard nothing of it so genuinely curious

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Front offices say all sorts of things designed to make fans feel good going into a season, i.e. Marcus Johansson is a C. In a normal year, I think Rossi would've been given a chance to make the team, and would've got a max number of games before burning his ELC, then sent to another team, whether it be the CHL, or Europe.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Front offices say all sorts of things designed to make fans feel good going into a season, i.e. Marcus Johansson is a C. In a normal year, I think Rossi would've been given a chance to make the team, and would've got a max number of games before burning his ELC, then sent to another team, whether it be the CHL, or Europe.

It's tough for me to reconcile that with our center lineup. Either

A) Guerin figured we could pencil Rossi in as a top-six C in a sheltered role, with Ek taking the tough matchups,
B) Guerin figured Johansson, Bonino or Bjugstad really would pan out as a good top-six center, or
C) Guerin kinda planned to tank, but kinda forgot and acquired competent goaltending to go with our D

(A) feels most likely to me, but either way, ugh. Not seeing any coherent vision whatsoever.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's tough for me to reconcile that with our center lineup. Either

A) Guerin figured we could pencil Rossi in as a top-six C in a sheltered role, with Ek taking the tough matchups,
B) Guerin figured Johansson, Bonino or Bjugstad really would pan out as a good top-six center, or
C) Guerin kinda planned to tank, but kinda forgot and acquired competent goaltending to go with our D

(A) feels most likely to me, but either way, ugh. Not seeing any coherent vision whatsoever.
I think he's just tap dancing till he gets the C position figured out. Is a bit taken by surprise by how good both the KK's have been in their first years. Between that, and Covid, I'm not blaming him(except for the Staal trade, but that's small potatoes). He gets some rope from me.
Expecting anything more from Rossi than maybe half a season of NHL time would be unrealistic, IMO. Boldy is the one that you hope to get 55gp/35 pts. or so out of. If he can bring his cerebral offensive game to the NHL and is strong enough to win board battles he will be a big asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad