Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That's not how it's defined in the rule book, so it's left to the judgment of the referees.

It's probably enough of a niche situation for there to be no clear precedent either. I think it qualifies as a grey area, even if I would predict it to be called a no-goal.
Whether he tries to shoot it or not doesn’t really matter. As soon as the goalie touches it it becomes a rebound

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's not how it's defined in the rule book, so it's left to the judgment of the referees.

It's probably enough of a niche situation for there to be no clear precedent either. I think it qualifies as a grey area, even if I would predict it to be called a no-goal.
Then you're not reading the right book. Or you're failing to comprehend the rule.

NHL rule 24.2
IIHF rule 24.2
24.2. PROCEDURE The Referee shall announce the reason for the assessed “Penalty Shot” and shall have the Player selected by the Team entitled to take the “Penalty Shot” announced over the Public Address System. The Referee shall then place the puck on the Center Face-off Spot and the Player taking the “Penalty Shot” will, on the instruction of the Referee, by blowing their whistle, play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the Goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s Goal Line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the Goal Post or crossbar, then the Goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the Goal Line or comes to a complete stop, the “Penalty Shot” shall be considered complete.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Then you're not reading the right book. Or you're failing to comprehend the rule.

NHL rule 24.2
IIHF rule 24.2
24.2. PROCEDURE The Referee shall announce the reason for the assessed “Penalty Shot” and shall have the Player selected by the Team entitled to take the “Penalty Shot” announced over the Public Address System. The Referee shall then place the puck on the Center Face-off Spot and the Player taking the “Penalty Shot” will, on the instruction of the Referee, by blowing their whistle, play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the Goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s Goal Line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the Goal Post or crossbar, then the Goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the Goal Line or comes to a complete stop, the “Penalty Shot” shall be considered complete.

I did read it. It just seems we have different interpretations of the word "rebound", which is a somewhat vague term. If Rossi remains in full control of puck without losing possession, I don't see it as a rebound. Now if the puck came to a stop or changed direction away from the goal and forced Rossi to adjust to it, then it would be different.

Your interpretation might be the spirit of the rule, but the wording makes it open for interpretation.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Russo’s latest article on Rossi has a lot of good nuggets and has me real pumped to see Marco. He is going to do everything that he can to make the team this year, quote below:

“I know I haven’t played a lot of games in the last year, year and a half, but now that I can see my fitness level and my shape, I know I’m better in shape than a lot of NHL players,” Rossi said. “So I see no doubt about that I can play in the NHL. I know I can play there. I know how good I am, but I have to prove myself in a training camp that I’m ready for that. I know it’s going to be up to me to show I’m ready to play right away.”

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
“I know I haven’t played a lot of games in the last year, year and a half, but now that I can see my fitness level and my shape, I know I’m better in shape than a lot of NHL players,” Rossi said. “So I see no doubt about that I can play in the NHL. I know I can play there. I know how good I am, but I have to prove myself in a training camp that I’m ready for that. I know it’s going to be up to me to show I’m ready to play right away.”
Can't help but feel good about his confidence. Hope it translates to training camp and that mindset can be contagious in the locker room.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
images (1).jpeg

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Kind of like the WJCs, the team is very outclassed and does not execute even simple plays very effectively, making it hard to read individual play. He seems to be making the best decision when the puck gets to him, but the passing and execution from his line mates is quite lacking. Good on draws and the skating looks great though.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Slovakia is likely one of the stronger teams in the qualifiers. Maybe he'll get a better chance to show what he can do against Belarus and Poland

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi making like Greenway on that goal. A handful in the crease, even though it won't get on the scoresheet.

Austria can't get out of their own way with all the penalties, though.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He looked alright. The strength doesn’t look like it will be an issue. Didn’t get the puck on his stick enough, but he looked impressive when he had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad