Confirmed with Link: Marchand Suspended 2 games for Slew-Foot

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
“It was a dangerous play and it was definitely a slew-foot. Those are dangerous plays and guys can get hurt like that. It’s something I shouldn’t have done and they penalized me for it and I’ll move on now.â€

"Those were Brad Marchand’s words after the Boston Bruins forward was fined $2,500 in 2011 for slew-footing Matt Niskanen of the Pittsburgh Penguins."

Even Marchand knows its a dangerous play. And he's a repeat offender.

Or that's what he was told to say.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
You will be waiting a long time.

How are you ?

Fine, thanks. Way too busy lately (working OT over the holidays isn't fun). We were at the game Tuesday and wanted to come say hi but couldn't get through the crowd. Next time, hopefully. :)

As for Marchand, yes, it was a dangerous play and a suspension is warranted. However, I just want to see equal justice for similar sins. I don't see how that's homerism. And anyone comparing Marchand to Cooke is being absurd. That's like comparing a shoplifter to a serial killer.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Fine, thanks. Way too busy lately (working OT over the holidays isn't fun). We were at the game Tuesday and wanted to come say hi but couldn't get through the crowd. Next time, hopefully. :)

As for Marchand, yes, it was a dangerous play and a suspension is warranted. However, I just want to see equal justice for similar sins. I don't see how that's homerism. And anyone comparing Marchand to Cooke is being absurd. That's like comparing a shoplifter to a serial killer.

I agree with everything in your post. Brad's hit didn't look bad from where we were until I watched it later.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't think there are any fans here that feel that way

I know I dont. They obviously do their share of wrong.

The problem I have is that the league and refs always seem to take the stance with the Bruins of erring on the side of going overboard if they do something, and treading lightly when something is done to them.

Just starting at the Cooke/Savard incident. Look at all the evidence. Cooke gets a slap on the wrist.

Thornton gets jumped by several Canucks and the B's are shorthanded and they gave Looch a bogus misconduct.

The Marchand getting 5 games for the Salo hit.

The ridiculous length of Thornton's suspension because of the Orpik thing.

How many more, including this one?

The fact that Kreider's board, which was just as dangerous as Marchand's, isn't even considered for supplemental punishment, while Marchand gets 2 games for a run of the mill slew foot should tell you all you need to know about this league.

Honestly, if Marchand's slew foot is worth 2 games, even adjusting because he's the worst person to ever put in a pair of skates, shouldn't every slew foot going forward be worth at least a game?

What kind of precedent are they setting with this one?

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I know I dont. They obviously do their share of wrong.

The problem I have is that the league and refs always seem to take the stance with the Bruins of erring on the side of going overboard if they do something, and treading lightly when something is done to them.

Just starting at the Cooke/Savard incident. Look at all the evidence. Cooke gets a slap on the wrist.

Thornton gets jumped by several Canucks and the B's are shorthanded and they gave Looch a bogus misconduct.

The Marchand getting 5 games for the Salo hit.

The ridiculous length of Thornton's suspension because of the Orpik thing.

How many more, including this one?

The fact that Kreider's board, which was just as dangerous as Marchand's, isn't even considered for supplemental punishment, while Marchand gets 2 games for a run of the mill slew foot should tell you all you need to know about this league.

Honestly, if Marchand's slew foot is worth 2 games, even adjusting because he's the worst person to ever put in a pair of skates, shouldn't every slew foot going forward be worth at least a game?

What kind of precedent are they setting with this one?

Excellent points Sarge.

Yet if we as B's fans say this we are "homers" or accused of not knowing hockey.

Oh well...More of the same ...different day.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Marchand seems to be handling it better than many here:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...-foot-says-suspension-could-have-been-longer/

Brad Marchand fessed up to what he called a “dangerous†infraction and said he considers himself fortunate to have not received a bigger suspension than the two-game ban he received.

“It could be worse,†Marchand said. “It could be three or four, so I’ve got to be happy that it’s not.â€

Marchand said he did not feel his reputation or past played a factor in what is now his third career suspension. He called his reputation “a grave I’ve dug for myself,â€Â but said that he had made efforts in recent seasons to eliminate dirty plays from his game.

“Maybe it played into it a little bit, but I have been trying to play within the rules and change my game,†he said. “Again, I play a hard game and I’m going to do things that are questionable at times. I’ve got to live it. The way that they discipline me, I’e got to live with that.â€

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Marchand seems to be handling it better than many here:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...-foot-says-suspension-could-have-been-longer/

Brad Marchand fessed up to what he called a “dangerous†infraction and said he considers himself fortunate to have not received a bigger suspension than the two-game ban he received.

“It could be worse,†Marchand said. “It could be three or four, so I’ve got to be happy that it’s not.â€

Marchand said he did not feel his reputation or past played a factor in what is now his third career suspension. He called his reputation “a grave I’ve dug for myself,â€Â but said that he had made efforts in recent seasons to eliminate dirty plays from his game.

“Maybe it played into it a little bit, but I have been trying to play within the rules and change my game,†he said. “Again, I play a hard game and I’m going to do things that are questionable at times. I’ve got to live it. The way that they discipline me, I’ve got to live with that.â€

He has been more mature about his game of late. The refs will always have it out for him. I am not saying he didn't deserve this but there are so many ticky-tacky calls against him in games that it pisses me off.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He has been more mature about his game of late. The refs will always have it out for him. I am not saying he didn't deserve this but there are so many ticky-tacky calls against him in games that it pisses me off.

I know LF, he's definitely tried to play a cleaner game. It doesn't excuse him not drawing calls. And they go overboard on him.

But this kind of stuff ensures his reputation is going nowhere and it won't get better for him anytime soon. That's what is so frustrating about this. In their eyes, all the good behaviour goes right out the window as soon as he does something like this. Back at square one.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Exactly. I know refs are human but they have to be impartial. Just look at the two diving calls Marchand was hit with this season - both rescinded by the league, and they weren't even close.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Are people really *****ing about how brad Marchand is being treating by the refs? You reap what you sow.

He did it to himself, there are plenty of guys like that in the league. Is what it is.

I do think krieder should have been suspended...that was ridiculous.

The bruins made their bed in 2011....and I love it...

trudatman*

I don't think he deserved anything for this. I'm not supporting the jersey, as I'm often yelling for calls against the Bruins that don't happen. I think one of their players did the same thing but worse to Krug and it was legal, albeit more of a borderline play. lean in low and use force high to upend a dude with leverage. my understanding is that it's legal. a slewfoot is a different thing. I watched it twice and saw no penalty. I have not given it a third viewing, though, so I could be wrong. two games for reputation. I hope he moves on and learns from this. he is a much better player when he doesn't play a physical game and uses his speed and agility and stickhandling to win games. Chrissy Kreider deserved this punishment, not Marchand.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Are people really *****ing about how brad Marchand is being treating by the refs? You reap what you sow.

He did it to himself, there are plenty of guys like that in the league. Is what it is.

I do think krieder should have been suspended...that was ridiculous.

The bruins made their bed in 2011....and I love it...

Lou,

I wouldn't say one word about how Marchand is treated if there was even a hint of consistency, common sense or fairness in how the league metes out discipline.

I love that the B's have a rep for toughness, but I despise they way they are treated and how the league seems to feel the game should be played.

Guys like Subban and Kreider because they are well known for being soft, can do anything they want, but Chara gets penalties for simply overpowering opponents and Marchand gets called for being near the goaltender.

Komisarek broke his stick on Lucic's throat and didn't even get fined for christ's sake!

Not to mention the other BS I mentioned earlier.

I'm just fed up with the leagues hierarchy, and wish someone from the Bruins would grow a set and stand up for themselves.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
I like a little dirty. We've need a rat for a while, to dish it so we aren't always receiving it. Plus it's a sport which is about entertainment. I for one am entertained by it, and by rival fans here crying nonstop out of jealousy.

The Big Bad Bruins are and should be bullies out there. It's what makes our team so good. The only other teams that can really match that are Anaheim and perhaps Philly although they've moved away from that since moving Hartnell.

Of course, if you hated seeing Marchand knock the Sedin twin around....

The Bruins are and should be Bullies and you're entertained by a slew foot. Interesting. I don't know what Bruins team you been watching but I been watching them for many many years and they have never been a dirty team,at least for as long as I been following them and that's 35 years.

They have had some very tough teams and some very tough players throughout those years but never dirty. Bruins hockey is all blue collar and about hard work and again Toughness not dirty. What Marchand did was silly and out right dumb. There was no need to do that so I have no idea what went through his head at the moment.

I'd bet that Bruins brass have spoken to him about it and most likely told him to keep that out of his/their game.

Marchand is lucky it was only 2 games and he sure deserved it. Big Bad Bruins doesn't stand for Dirty Bruins.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Bruins are and should be Bullies and you're entertained by a slew foot. Interesting. I don't know what Bruins team you been watching but I been watching them for many many years and they have never been a dirty team,at least for as long as I been following them and that's 35 years.

They have had some very tough teams and some very tough players throughout those years but never dirty. Bruins hockey is all blue collar and about hard work and again Toughness not dirty. What Marchand did was silly and out right dumb. There was no need to do that so I have no idea what went through his head at the moment.

I'd bet that Bruins brass have spoken to him about it and most likely told him to keep that out of his/their game.

Marchand is lucky it was only 2 games and he sure deserved it. Big Bad Bruins doesn't stand for Dirty Bruins.

I agree but to me the issue is that the league no longer wants "tough" teams or players.

Look at all the rule changes over the years clearly designed to deter tough/aggressive play.

The Kelly fight being a good example.

Dirty hit by Kreider, Kelly challenges him, they fight. In the end penalties match up.

Who exactly got "penalized" in this situation?

Kreider attempted to hurt a Bruin. Kelly calls him out for it and the Bruins lose the power play opportunity.

How is that remotely just?

So, because of the fact that toughness and on ice/in game accountability are being phased out, what you have left is the dirty stuff.

Then when the dirty stuff happens, the league over reacts to it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love how the main board is 14 pages in. :laugh:

I spent so much time here I never realized what a great place that is

I love the toughness on that board- its as if Dave 'the Hammer' Schultz, Bob 'Battleship' Kelly, and Brian McGratton are posters wanting a piece of any Bruins player:laugh:

really is awesome

I would be so disappointed if I met these posters and they were wimpy

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I spent so much time here I never realized what a great place that is

I love the toughness on that board- its as if Dave 'the Hammer' Schultz, Bob 'Battleship' Kelly, and Brian McGratton are posters wanting a piece of any Bruins player:laugh:

really is awesome

I would be so disappointed if I met these posters and they were wimpy

Most of them are sitting in their parents basement eating Twizzlers.

Best to stay away Dan. Things you can post here you cant post there and it will cost you.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Funny how people think the Marchand play is worse than the Kreider one. Not looking at who did the play, but look at the actual plays. Kreider was way worse.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent points Sarge.

Yet if we as B's fans say this we are "homers" or accused of not knowing hockey.

Oh well...More of the same ...different day.

why don't you ever say excellent points to me? you wonder why I have an inferiority complex

btw- I am going tonight but sitting upstairs with Jay, (not to be confused with the Jay and the Americans who sung Cara Mia), and the great Chris Gorski aka the best avatar on HF:handclap:....my yute and her BF will be down to see you and your sister I'm sure

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
why don't you ever say excellent points to me? you wonder why I have an inferiority complex

btw- I am going tonight but sitting upstairs with Jay, (not to be confused with the Jay and the Americans who sung Cara Mia), and the great Chris Gorski aka the best avatar on HF:handclap:....my yute and her BF will be down to see you and your sister I'm sure

Don't steal my thunder. I don't often receive praise in any aspect of my life.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Most of them are sitting in their parents basement eating Twizzlers.

Best to stay away Dan. Things you can post here you cant post there and it will cost you.

not worried if I get banned I can always go somewhere else:laugh:

btw- I have never eaten a Twizzler

besides I gave up hate for January- so until February I am full of love:heart:

I was actually going to do this February because of the short month, and the February theme with Valentines Day but I decided to be bold

my ring tone to wake up in the morning now is Elvis Costello's What's so funny, bout peace, love, and understanding.....atleast until February

the Main Board is one incredible place- I feel like I have ventured out of Kansas into a world of insanity

would love to meet all these haters and see if my image matches what they really look like- I would expect;) I'd be staring at the 1986 Chicago Bears defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad