Confirmed with Link: Marchand Suspended 2 games for Slew-Foot

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Its times like this I miss Shawn Thornton most.

He cemented my admiration for him as a leader when Marchand was chirping from the bench and Shawn yelled at him - " sit down and shut the **** up!"

Sure, but where was his leadership in the playoffs last year when he was inciting Subban and the Habs by acting like a dink and spraying water on them from the bench? I liked Thornton in his role here a lot as well, but he had his curious moments too. I like when Marchand plays a little over the edge, and I'm fine if it results in a game or two off for him because he's far more effective when playing this way.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Sure, but where was his leadership in the playoffs last year when he was inciting Subban and the Habs by acting like a dink and spraying water on them from the bench? I liked Thornton in his role here a lot as well, but he had his curious moments too. I like when Marchand plays a little over the edge, and I'm fine if it results in a game or two off for him because he's far more effective when playing this way.

He went too far. No arguement there. But i still think he had a positive effect on the players and Marchand in particular.

In regard to Marchand as long as he doesnt cost us games, and i dont consider yesterday as that, Im good with him.

Granted sucked to not have him dressed but I view that as no different then if he had flu or was injured. There are 18 other guys that need to pick it up.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I am ok with 2 games if and when NHL calls it same across the board.They do not and if you do not believe me just simply google all the same plays and non suspensions or fines.There is quite a few.Especially when the perceived stars did it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I am ok with 2 games if and when NHL calls it same across the board.They do not and if you do not believe me just simply google all the same plays and non suspensions or fines.There is quite a few.Especially when the perceived stars did it.

What exactly are we googling? What do you suggest as the search term?

Dare I think you haven't actually done any research on the matter yourself and are speaking totally from emotion. If I'm wrong, show me the evidence.

Marchy did what he did and got what he deserved. Most are willing to acknowledge it including him. I'm not sure why certain folks INSIST on trying to "soften" things by making it to yet another "anti-my team" point against the league, the officials, etc.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Appropriate based on what though? All the other similar plays getting 2 game suspensions?

He's been suspended before, which probably plays a factor in the ruling. And he was fined in the past for slew-footing too, iirc. The way I see it, it was a dangerous play and 2 games is not an outrageous punishment.

I still love the lil punk, but you reap what you sow.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Dare I think you haven't actually done any research on the matter yourself and are speaking totally from emotion. If I'm wrong, show me the evidence.

Marchy did what he did and got what he deserved. Most are willing to acknowledge it including him. I'm not sure why certain folks INSIST on trying to "soften" things by making it to yet another "anti-my team" point against the league, the officials, etc.
My understanding is that Subban has never had a penalty called for slew footing.
Go to youtube and enter "Malcom Subban slewfoot" You'll get a few videos with more than enough evidence.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

He is the best player we have when he is playing a little over the edge .

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

As i suggested earlier, I'll give you that he deserved a suspension and I'll give you that 2 games is due to his reputation.

What I and some others are asking, is this:

Based on the fact that it wasn't called In the game and based on the eyeball test, where it didn't seem much worse than any other slew foot in history; then why wouldn't every slew foot result in at least a 1 game suspension?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
All clean hockey plays.
Nothing to see here,
These aren't the Habs you are looking for.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but if that first one on Dubinsky was never punished, then Marchand's should have been called a dive on the other team. That's how much more obvious it was.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Bruins fans think the NHL is out to get them, it's because this was the softest suspension in NHL history.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As i suggested earlier, I'll give you that he deserved a suspension and I'll give you that 2 games is due to his reputation.

Based on the fact that it wasn't called In the game and based on the eyeball test, where it didn't seem much worse than any other slew foot in history; then why wouldn't every slew foot result in at least a 1 game suspension?

I disagree on it didn't seem much worse. Most slew foots "can be dangerous", but usually turn out not to be based on circumstance. The Rangers' player's foot hit the boards at an incredibly awkward angle...at least causing pain, and could have caused a very serious injury.

I'm not saying there have not been instances in the past I think players should have been suspended in which they weren't. I don't think anyone is saying that. What I am saying is that it is obvious why Marchand got the suspension he deserved (as I had said in an earlier post...he's gotten more aggressive in his backchecking lately, which sometimes includes some 'slew-foot' type action) and sidetracking it to "well, it's not fair because these others didn't get suspended for something similar" is sort of beside the point. Players are forgiven, as the league admits, in circumstances like this based on reputation. Marchand (while it is sometimes unfair to this Bruins fan) has built his own reputation and doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Trying to make this incredibly simplistic, blind-eye to the obvious argument of "he got suspended, so why weren't these suspensions?" just doesn't hold any water with me and takes away from the real point that Brad made a very bad play where punishment was expected.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Also...the "based on the fact that it wasn't called in game". I see absolutely zero reason to see that as a relevant point in any suspension or potential suspension case.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I never thought that hit was that bad...

That's the ultimate example of differentiating opinion on a play. I've heard it described anywhere from "nothing" to "disgusting".

Rinaldo himself said it wasn't a bad hit.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I disagree on it didn't seem much worse. Most slew foots "can be dangerous", but usually turn out not to be based on circumstance. The Rangers' player's foot hit the boards at an incredibly awkward angle...at least causing pain, and could have caused a very serious injury.

I'm not saying there have not been instances in the past I think players should have been suspended in which they weren't. I don't think anyone is saying that. What I am saying is that it is obvious why Marchand got the suspension he deserved (as I had said in an earlier post...he's gotten more aggressive in his backchecking lately, which sometimes includes some 'slew-foot' type action) and sidetracking it to "well, it's not fair because these others didn't get suspended for something similar" is sort of beside the point. Players are forgiven, as the league admits, in circumstances like this based on reputation. Marchand (while it is sometimes unfair to this Bruins fan) has built his own reputation and doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Trying to make this incredibly simplistic, blind-eye to the obvious argument of "he got suspended, so why weren't these suspensions?" just doesn't hold any water with me and takes away from the real point that Brad made a very bad play where punishment was expected.

Personally, I think Marchand's rep is tremendously over rated, and I think a lot of B's fans use him as the sacrificial lamb: calling him dirty in hopes of making fans of other teams think they're being impartial. Every team has guys like him, but nobody gets reputation calls more than him. For instance, the suspension for the Salo hit was garbage, IMO. Worth a game, maybe 2. Alex Burrows bit Bergeron and got nothing. Subban slew foots frequently and has never been suspended for it.

Lastly, regarding this one. It does matter that others don't get suspended or fined for the same act, because the league should be trying harder to get away from having the reputation they have for being an inconsistent laughingstock.

There is no way people can take you seriously when there are dozens of examples of the same infraction being punished several different ways.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Personally, I think Marchand's rep is tremendously over rated, and I think a lot of B's fans use him as the sacrificial lamb: calling him dirty in hopes of making fans of other teams think they're being impartial. Every team has guys like him, but nobody gets reputation calls more than him. For instance, the suspension for the Salo hit was garbage, IMO. Worth a game, maybe 2. Alex Burrows bit Bergeron and got nothing. Subban slew foots frequently and has never been suspended for it.

Lastly, regarding this one. It does matter that others don't get suspended or fined for the same act, because the league should be trying harder to get away from having the reputation they have for being an inconsistent laughingstock.

There is no way people can take you seriously when there are dozens of examples of the same infraction being punished several different ways.

I agree especially that first part regarding our fans!!

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Here's a compilation:

God, the CBC commentator on the last clip with Neal is so ****ing annoying.

Neal gets slew footed and they're all like "Oh, yaaaah, it's a Glen Anderson special. Yaaaah! That's a pretty good whack! He's pretending that he's falling, yeaaaah!" Not mentioning for a second that he's falling because of Subban's dirty slew foot. Such BS.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Back to the Marchand slew foot, not withstanding the suspension, you know what bothered me about it, and especially does Subban does it?

It's a 50/50 play, loose puck, two guys competing and one guy (in this case Marchand) doesn't have the guts to go shoulder to shoulder. You either go at the guy or finesse your way around him. You don't cheap shot him. The slew foot many times is simply a case of one guy being a coward. I don't like cowardly play.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I love when Marchand plays on the edge and occasionally over it. I look at this as nothing but a good thing. He's got his confidence back and he's playing the way he plays. I love every bit of it.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I love when Marchand plays on the edge and occasionally over it. I look at this as nothing but a good thing. He's got his confidence back and he's playing the way he plays. I love every bit of it.

I do understand your rationale, but the part that i hate the most about the slewfoot is how it directly puts our skill guys in potential danger. Brassard was fine and admitted as much, but had he slammed his head on the ice and been concussed we would have to consider the possibility that there could be a target on the back of a Krejci, Bergy, or maybe even Pastrnak in retribution.

If it was simply a matter of Marchand having to answer the bell next time we play the Rangers, it would be different. And this might all be moot since Brassard (remember Brassard is not some scrub, he's a skill player himself) did not get hurt... but he still could have been hurt.

Whenever the [admittedly blurry] line gets crossed, you run the risk of having it come back to haunt you via the hockey version of Hammurabi's Code.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Back to the Marchand slew foot, not withstanding the suspension, you know what bothered me about it, and especially does Subban does it?

It's a 50/50 play, loose puck, two guys competing and one guy (in this case Marchand) doesn't have the guts to go shoulder to shoulder. You either go at the guy or finesse your way around him. You don't cheap shot him. The slew foot many times is simply a case of one guy being a coward. I don't like cowardly play.

Except if you watched the play, he did go shoulder to shoulder with Brassard and clearly got the better of the exchange.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Except if you watched the play, he did go shoulder to shoulder with Brassard and clearly got the better of the exchange.

GDaze, of course he got the better of the exchange...he slew footed him. He gained an advantage by doing so.

He didn't go pure shoulder to shoulder, he took advantage of Brassard by using the leg.

Let me qualify my point by saying I like Marchand and what he brings (most of the time) and I realize players who play on the edge are going to have things like this occur sometimes. But he gained an advantage with a dangerous and somewhat cheap play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad