Confirmed with Link: Marchand Suspended 2 games for Slew-Foot

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Personally, I think Marchand's rep is tremendously over rated, and I think a lot of B's fans use him as the sacrificial lamb: calling him dirty in hopes of making fans of other teams think they're being impartial. Every team has guys like him, but nobody gets reputation calls more than him. For instance, the suspension for the Salo hit was garbage, IMO. Worth a game, maybe 2. Alex Burrows bit Bergeron and got nothing. Subban slew foots frequently and has never been suspended for it.

Lastly, regarding this one. It does matter that others don't get suspended or fined for the same act, because the league should be trying harder to get away from having the reputation they have for being an inconsistent laughingstock.

There is no way people can take you seriously when there are dozens of examples of the same infraction being punished several different ways.

I agree on Subban. I've seen him slewfoot and think he's deserved suspensions. Unfortunately, I think he gets the star treatment. Regardless, I agree with Marchy's suspension. It's a dangerous hit and it deserves a suspension. If I'm going to be accused of somehow trying to appeal to other fanbases with my opinion on Marchy (it's a completely insane notion...as if I could give a rat's ass what another fanbase on HFBoards thinks of my opinions), then I can certainly accuse you of refusing to just see the hit for what it was (because it's a guy on your favorite team) by bringing up other instances treated differently. I certainly don't agree with every decision the league makes, but they've at least established that they're doling out suspensions based on history and whether or not there's an injury. The Marchand suspension is CONSISTENT with that as is the recent Carcillo suspension (who, yes, is much worse). Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember Subban injuring someone with a dirty play. I COULD be wrong on that...and I invite you to point out the instance(s) if I am. But, I know that I can't make the same statement for Marchy.

Again, it's hard to get over the ridiculous notion that because I don't have a one sided opinion on the matter, you accuse me (and others) of having it because I have some sort of concern with what other fanbases think. God forbid I, a Bruins fan, sees certain things down the middle. What a bad fan I am. I'll stop separating my opinions from my emotions just for your satisfaction.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree on Subban. I've seen him slewfoot and think he's deserved suspensions. Unfortunately, I think he gets the star treatment. Regardless, I agree with Marchy's suspension. It's a dangerous hit and it deserves a suspension. If I'm going to be accused of somehow trying to appeal to other fanbases with my opinion on Marchy (it's a completely insane notion...as if I could give a rat's ass what another fanbase on HFBoards thinks of my opinions), then I can certainly accuse you of refusing to just see the hit for what it was (because it's a guy on your favorite team) by bringing up other instances treated differently. I certainly don't agree with every decision the league makes, but they've at least established that they're doling out suspensions based on history and whether or not there's an injury. The Marchand suspension is CONSISTENT with that as is the recent Carcillo suspension (who, yes, is much worse).

Again, it's hard to get over the ridiculous notion that because I don't have a one sided opinion on the matter, you accuse me (and others) of having it because I have some sort of concern with what other fanbases think. God forbid I, a Bruins fan, sees certain things down the middle. What a bad fan I am. I'll stop separating my opinions from my emotions just for your satisfaction.

To be honest, I wasn't really referring to you with that statement, but I understand why you'd think that, because of our recent exchange. That's my bad.

To be more clear and less accusatory, it's just that I have trouble understanding why so many B's fans here rail on the guy, as if he's some combination of Scott, Samuelsson, Claude Lemieux and Dale Hunter, when he's simply a run of the mill NHL pest/agitator, who works his tail off against guys who generally outsize him significantly.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but IMO, I watch enough hockey to be certain thst I see other players across the league do the same things he does, only to receive far less in the way of punishment.

Lastly, I stand by my opinion thst if his slew foot was worth 2 games, then there isn't one that shouldn't at least warrant a fine.

It is a very dangerous play, regardless of who does it, and if that one was suspendable, then most others should be as well.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
To be honest, I wasn't really referring to you with that statement, but I understand why you'd think that, because of our recent exchange. That's my bad.

To be more clear and less accusatory, it's just that I have trouble understanding why so many B's fans here rail on the guy, as if he's some combination of Scott, Samuelsson, Claude Lemieux and Dale Hunter, when he's simply a run of the mill NHL pest/agitator, who works his tail off against guys who generally outsize him significantly.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but IMO, I watch enough hockey to be certain thst I see other players across the league do the same things he does, only to receive far less in the way of punishment.

Lastly, I stand by my opinion thst if his slew foot was worth 2 games, then there isn't one that should at least warrant a fine.

It is a very dangerous play, regardless of who does it, and if thst one was suspend able, then most others should be as well.

Well, fair enough. I don't think we're too far off in our opinions.

And, I'm trying to keep myself at a three post limit on arguing semantics. :laugh:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I do understand your rationale, but the part that i hate the most about the slewfoot is how it directly puts our skill guys in potential danger. Brassard was fine and admitted as much, but had he slammed his head on the ice and been concussed we would have to consider the possibility that there could be a target on the back of a Krejci, Bergy, or maybe even Pastrnak in retribution.

If it was simply a matter of Marchand having to answer the bell next time we play the Rangers, it would be different. And this might all be moot since Brassard (remember Brassard is not some scrub, he's a skill player himself) did not get hurt... but he still could have been hurt.

Whenever the [admittedly blurry] line gets crossed, you run the risk of having it come back to haunt you via the hockey version of Hammurabi's Code.

I think the idea of him putting his skill players in danger is more romantic than it is real. Has it proven out in any of his prior transgressions? Did Cooke do any real damage to Crosby? The Bruins were one of the tougher teams in the league and they never did anything to skill players to respond to Cooke or Neal or anyone else I can remember. The league just doesn't operate like that anymore.

I love having a player or two who frightens the opponent. That was a mild slew foot anyway, but even a bad one doesn't bother me. It's obviously a sneaky and dangerous tactic, but this isn't checkers. I think it helps to have a couple players who cross the line and I'm happy to have Marchand. I'm fine if it's not even close to his last suspension.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
That was a mild slew foot anyway, but even a bad one doesn't bother me. It's obviously a sneaky and dangerous tactic, but this isn't checkers. I think it helps to have a couple players who cross the line and I'm happy to have Marchand. I'm fine if it's not even close to his last suspension.

I like Marchand too, and I realize that playing on the edge will occasionally lead to something like this.

I do wonder...well, actually I think I know...what the reaction would be if it were,say, Scottie Hartnell, or Ott or Derek Dorsett or Subban (guys that all play on the edge) doing it to Bergeron. It would be considered cheap and gutless.

That said, again, I want Marchand playing on the edge, he's more involved and more effective. However, with a 50/50 puck, going shoulder to shoulder with Brassard (who is, admittedly, a little bigger than Marchand), Brad opted to take his legs out. That's fact...from there, it's every fans own call to label it as they see fit.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
GDaze, of course he got the better of the exchange...he slew footed him. He gained an advantage by doing so.

He didn't go pure shoulder to shoulder, he took advantage of Brassard by using the leg.

Let me qualify my point by saying I like Marchand and what he brings (most of the time) and I realize players who play on the edge are going to have things like this occur sometimes. But he gained an advantage with a dangerous and somewhat cheap play.

He already had gone shoulder to shoulder with Brassard and had the edge before his leg made any contact. It's over and done, let's hope the NHL is as diligent with their punishments of guys like Subban who has done worse repeatedly.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
He already had gone shoulder to shoulder with Brassard and had the edge before his leg made any contact. It's over and done, let's hope the NHL is as diligent with their punishments of guys like Subban who has done worse repeatedly.

I can think of no better good coming out of this than the issue being raised to a high enough level that PK Slewbban gets targeted by officials.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I can think of no better good coming out of this than the issue being raised to a high enough level that PK Slewbban gets targeted by officials.

It is hard to believe that teams have not forwarded video of Subbans antics to the
NHL, and even if they didn't doesn't the NHL review every game looking for stuff ?

They and the refs know whats going on, they refuse to make the call.
Don't expect anything to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad