Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
If someone tried to fight him in a close game and he didn't want to? Yeah really didn't care.

Sure we hell didn't ruin our whole teams morale :laugh:

It's not as simple as that though, right?

Marchand did something questionable, and didn't answer the bell. It wasn't like he was challenged for no reason.

Hell, even Matt Cooke answered the bell on Thornton after destroying Savard.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Players care about winning more than fans' nostalgic feelings about codes of conduct that barely, if ever, existed.

Marchand took what he could get away with and then frustrated a player on the other team.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Marchand did something questionable, and didn't answer the bell. It wasn't like he was challenged for no reason.

I agree.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Besides the TOI/game or whatever..

It was a 1-0 game, Marchand is a 1st liner and a first PP/PK unit guy. It made no sense for him to fight Eller at that time just to satisfy his need for revenge..

Marchand wasn't scared of Eller, he didn't cut him open in the first fight with a sucker punch, it was one of the last actually and Eller knew he was in a fight by then. (Doesn't mean next time Eller would lose the fight though)

As a Bruins fan I have to admit I'd be frustrated if the roles were reversed but it is what it is and Eller will have more opportunities in the future.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think Marchand has established a long time ago that he's not an honorable guy. Eller got played, when you play Marchand's game you always loose.

Lose what?

Bruins got nothing on the PP and Marchand got embarrassed. Eller won this by default.

Reactions: Bladerunner

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think Marchand has established a long time ago that he's not an honorable guy. Eller got played, when you play Marchand's game you always loose.

True, when you play the cheapshot, rat agitator role against BM, you lose, he's the best at being a rat, thats why he's called the rat. But when it comes to the game of hockey, the Caps don't seem to "always lose" to Marchand 14 times in a row. Maybe Marchand's game isn't really hockey, its just being a pest?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
He has refused to fight Chara several times, honestly. And no, Wilson wouldn't "break his hip" - Wilson isn't nearly as tough as people make him out to be in the fighting department.

Wilson is not the best fighter in terms of fighting skill so I do not think he wrecks Chara in a fight. But he does answer the bell, especially when another team has an issue with a hit.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Marchand literally doing his job is "against the code?" His job is to score goals and piss people off, not get goaded into penalties. Would love him on my team.

Reactions: haveandare

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Ah yes, because those are two of the same things :laugh:
Which doesn't change that no, turtling (which this wasnt even what happened) does not ruin an entire teams chemistry. That's possibly the dumbest thing said in a thread full of ridiculous comments.

Reactions: MetM

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
18 pages for something a guy didn't do. . .

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4a753558656a50646f704d5272673d3d2d3534313532373535382e3135313739666637396466373865363337363034353239353235352e676966

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol I don't mind Marchand's play at all, his gutlessness permeates the entire team and is one of the main reasons I can safely buy tickets for any Caps Bruins game knowing the caps will comfortably win and the Bruins will do something stupid.

Obviously you're a stat watcher and think that's all there is to hockey (unless it's Lars Eller putting up the stats, then they don't count, who cares about his 7 points in 7 games against Tampa put up as a shutdown C), but yeah, a bunch of grown ass men battling for every inch of the ice will get demoralized when one of them is running around trying to prove that he's the biggest ***** in the building. There's your "secondary scoring" and "goaltending". If Wilson was pulling the same antics the caps wouldn't be winning anything except facepalm contests.

Oh wow, so again you actually still think that Marchand licking a guy is the reason that Krecji/Debrusk/Nash, etc stopped scoring and that Rask decided not to stop pucks. You're right, team of grown men decided to stop playing hockey because and lose on purpose to teach Marchand a lesson!

I think were done here.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Marchand doesn't care about codes.

and he doesn't care about the rules of the game or about injuring other players. There are probably a lot of other things he doesn't care about too. He is a dirty player who brings hockey into disrepute. He should have been suspended right out of the game years ago.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples

What Marchand did to Eller is not even close to what Cooke did to Savard.

Don’t get me wrong, I was not happy at all with Brad jumping Eller, but it’s a completely different scenario.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Marchand literally doing his job is "against the code?" His job is to score goals and piss people off, not get goaded into penalties. Would love him on my team.

This was true until he jumped Eller and threw punches at him the other day. If that's his job too then he needs to answer this kind of behavior

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It amazes me that after 9 years nobody has given this guy a true beatdown, pretty remarkable. What's the reason? Chara? McQuaid and Shawn Thornton in the past? Instigator penalty? I mean even guys like Kaleta and Ott eventually got tooled at some point.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I'm not qualified to answer that.

I'm not really prying a specific answer, but I do wonder. I feel like he realized Eller wasn't as prepared as he expected and backed off for a little.

It amazes me that after 9 years nobody has given this guy a true beatdown, pretty remarkable. What's the reason? Chara? McQuaid and Shawn Thornton in the past? Instigator penalty? I mean even guys like Kaleta and Ott eventually got tooled at some point.

He gets mugged plenty in the games, jabbed after the whistle, etc. He has a great ability of avoiding hits now (inb4 someone mentions low bridging) because he has had a lot of practice. Teams definitely target him, but he is pretty aware on the ice it seems and manages to lessen or avoid contact a lot.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
This was true until he jumped Eller and threw punches at him the other day. If that's his job too then he needs to answer this kind of behavior

I agree he deserves to get beatdown but why drop the gloves there when you're trying to win? He got a powerplay out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille