Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I love the guy.
Still would've been my choice for the 'C', but he was unsigned.

I love McD too, but coming off last season where he played like a Norris candidate,
I would have left him as is, to continue just as he was.
He's young his chance would've come around later.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Marc had a very good game yesterday. Did all the right things and when he did not he had support. If he can play like that just on just the D side he is worth the $$. That was pre-injury Staal. I also think this was a you picked MEV over me Mr. Yzerman?!! Probably not but he played like he was playing for his job
Youtube not working embeded, so if you want to watch Stalberg's goal that was setup but a fantastic Staal play https://youtu.be/j532tFB5JQs

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staal absolutely was a rock yesterday. Good plays all over the ice and moved the puck up well, Girardi should take notice how to start an outlet pass.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't think Staal was awful last night but I think he's had a very poor start to the season.

Staal absolutely was a rock yesterday. Good plays all over the ice and moved the puck up well, Girardi should take notice how to start an outlet pass.

Girardi should take notes from the one defenseman on the team that sucks at passing more than he does?

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I don't think Staal was awful last night but I think he's had a very poor start to the season.

Girardi should take notes from the one defenseman on the team that sucks at passing more than he does?

Staal makes much better passes in the D zone then G and it is not even close. G should stand for grenade because that is what he gives McD and who ever is C all the time. Staal will take a hit and hold on to the puck if a pass is not there, G will not.
Neither are KY or McD but saying Staal is worse then G with the puck shows a lack of knowledge of what the D should do in the D zone. In the O zone G usually makes better plays but D and neutral zone, that is all Staal. Staal has a patience with the puck in his zone that G does not have.
He was the best D on the ice last night, making plays at both ends, shows the talent he has. Just needs to be more consistent.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staal makes much better passes in the D zone then G and it is not even close. G should stand for grenade because that is what he gives McD and who ever is C all the time. Staal will take a hit and hold on to the puck if a pass is not there, G will not.
Neither are KY or McD but saying Staal is worse then G with the puck shows a lack of knowledge of what the D should do in the D zone. In the O zone G usually makes better plays but D and neutral zone, that is all Staal. Staal has a patience with the puck in his zone that G does not have.
He was the best D on the ice last night, making plays at both ends, shows the talent he has. Just needs to be more consistent.

That's why I didnt even bother to respond.

You are correct entirely.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

JxAyFJk.gif

q0JmfcX.gif

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

We're not watching the same Marc Staal then.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

To play devils advocate:

In the first GIF, Staal has 3 defenders on him... Boyle should have looped down to the goal line in order to allow Staal another place to send the puck without carelessly losing it.

In the 2nd GIF, Miller is completely out of position, and walks into Staal's way. I'm more on Staal for this play though, mostly because he had a good 2-3 seconds to send the puck away. That's mostly on him.

We're not watching the same Marc Staal then.

well, compared to Girardi, yes Staal looks like God when he makes outlet passes

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
We've all hated on Marc a lot recently, and posting about G in the other thread made me think about this.

It's great to watch a team that's competing for the club but some part of me misses rooting for the underdog Rangers where a good season didn't have to be cup or bust. Marc (and Cally! and Dubi! what an OT goal with a great call by Sam!) deserves more luck and it's unfortunate he's overpaid because I would love to root for him.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
We've all hated on Marc a lot recently, and posting about G in the other thread made me think about this.

It's great to watch a team that's competing for the club but some part of me misses rooting for the underdog Rangers where a good season didn't have to be cup or bust. Marc (and Cally! and Dubi! what an OT goal with a great call by Sam!) deserves more luck and it's unfortunate he's overpaid because I would love to root for him.

Did I read that right? You don't root for a player because he's overpaid? Is that every player who's overpaid, or just Marc Staal?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Did I read that right? You don't root for a player because he's overpaid? Is that every players who's overpaid, or just Marc Staal?

I also complain about G and I wanted to trade Klein for making 3 million on the third pair. Not root for is the wrong phrase, but i'm definitely more pessimistic about their play.

Marc Staal's the kind of player I would root for his team in the playoffs (if we were eliminated) if we didn't him a 5.5 mil contract.

Wasn't meant to start an argument! Just wanted to share a good video from before the Rangers got really good :).

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I also complain about G and I wanted to trade Klein for making 3 million on the third pair. Not root for is the wrong phrase, but i'm definitely more pessimistic about their play.

Marc Staal's the kind of player I would root for his team in the playoffs (if we were eliminated) if we give him a 5.5 mil contract.

Wasn't meant to start an argument! Just wanted to share a good video from before the Rangers got really good :).

I had a feeling things weren't coming through right. I do understand the feeling you had, back when things were finally getting better with the team and players like Staal were still young. There are very few players I don't like (although many I'm indifferent to).

But, everyone is overpaid and ticket prices are even more outrageous (especially when you remember that players currently lose 16% of their salary to escrow to guarantee the owners their 50%). I try and not think about it because I like hockey and the economics of it piss me off to no end.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-union-set-escrow-for-first-quarter-of-season-at-16-per-cent-1.374417

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I had a feeling things weren't coming through right. I do understand the feeling you had, back when things were finally getting better with the team and players like Staal were still young. There are very few players I don't like (although many I'm indifferent to).

But, everyone is overpaid and ticket prices are even more outrageous (especially when you remember that players currently lose 16% of their salary to escrow to guarantee the owners their 50%). I try and not think about it because I like hockey and the economics of it piss me off to no end.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-union-set-escrow-for-first-quarter-of-season-at-16-per-cent-1.374417

Yeah,i'm very pro-player and i'm glad a guy like Marc who has spent so much of his life playing hockey (and getting a couple of very serious injuries in doing so) is getting paid. But the salary cap makes it hard sometimes to have much love for every player strictly based on on-ice play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Rangers should be actively shopping this guy while his value is not rock bottom.

He's not worth it, especially considering AAV and term of his contract.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
're-signing him was so bad of a decision , especially in hindsight. Having that contract on the books, with his rapid decline, and a full nmc. And there's a good chance a much better player is let go because of it. Could have saved so much cap letting him walk and signing somebody like Ehrhoff to replace him, and it would have been an upgrade too.

Broadway Brad

Feb 26, 2012
Their defense next year will be:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Skjei-McIlrath/FA signing

when it could've easily been:

Mcdonagh-Stralman
Yandle-Klein

I'm sick to my stomach.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Staal under the current system is a train wreck of a player with an abomination of a contract, as to NYR tradition. Management throws the player that made him look good under the bus and keeps the leftovers to grand sums of money, for reasons I cannot even leave to my imagination. Just excellent.

I can't even blame Staal, I look at the morons in charge, who consequently make bad decisions where even a dice would've been more right throughout their history.
The fact that their defense next year will be:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein

Mcdonagh-Stralman
Yandle-Klein

I'm sick to my stomach.
Can I add they gave away Strålman to a serious contender for free, for the same money they gave a pensioner? Again? If you barf once, it's close to a second hurl. Congrats management for the guarantee that NYR will never win a cup in another 20 years or so. The deficiencies on the NYR blueline are simply too great to overcome by the quality player the roster actually has.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Columbus is going to be the only team that's worth a playoff contending damn that needs defense that desperately... Couple that with Torts coaching there, and I think Staal NEEDS to be sent to Columbus.... It's possible they are waiting to see if whether or not Columbus actually rebounds so that Staal doesn't look at that team and go "oh them, they suck"...

BUT, the conversation management needs to have with Staal is this:

"Marc, we respect you and what you've done for us, however with what you are being paid and the role you've been given on this team [3rd pairing], as well as your recent struggles, we need to move you to a team that would be fundamentally sound for you to play to"

Hopefully that gets followed up with "We've spoken to Columbus, and John is interested in having you play for him again".

Staal is an absolute atrocity in this system... If Management can't see this, we're not contending this year

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Their defense next year will be:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein

Mcdonagh-Stralman
Yandle-Klein