Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's earning every penny of that contract. Best Dman on the ice for this team all POs. Knocking people around, winning board battles, not giving the puck away, taking the puck deep creating chances. I'm really happy the way Staal is playing and am happy for him as he's been through alot. This is the Marc Staal that used to shut down OV a few years back and hes doing it again.

With all due respect...........

What playoffs are you watching?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last night, every Rangers player on the ice except one was positive in corsi. Marc Staal was minus 13.

I mean you don't have to believe corsi is a significant stat to realize that's a massive red flag.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Watch his 1v1 battles and tell me how many he loses. Count his turnovers. I don't care about advanced stats.

Yeah, I personally loved Staal's embarrassing poke check attempt on Burakovsky as he walked right in front of Hank to tie the game.

coogz13

Jun 29, 2009
Connecticut
yeah, i don't know what this guy's talking about.... staals been hot trash (as has most of our Dmen- looking right at 22/93)

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Last night, every Rangers player on the ice except one was positive in corsi. Marc Staal was minus 13.

I mean you don't have to believe corsi is a significant stat to realize that's a massive red flag.

Staal has been receiving accolade after accolade for his performance in the Playoffs this year, and I don't get it. He received way too much attention in the "Best D-Man" thread after the Penguin series....especially considering his poor stats. He has not been throwing his body around and has looked questionable at times. He won't hit you, but he'll get down on one knee early and lay his stick on the ice to block whatever it is you're trying to do. If your patient enough, you can simply pass around him once he slows down and gets on that knee.

I will defend his poor Corsi, though. His D-Zone Starts are MUCH higher than just about everyone else on the team...and we don't win face-offs. So, his Corsi is going to be crap. I'd get you his D-Zone Start stats for the series, but I'm having trouble with War-On-Ice and the stats are not loading or me. I did look at them yesterday, and they were very high.

I like Staal...I appreciate Staal...I respect Staal...but he has not been anything to write home about in the Playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Staal's been bad. He was very good in the Penguins series, but he usually elevates his game against Crosby and Malkin, so it was normal to expect a bit of a let down.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I think Staal has been good too, comparatively. I mean really none of our defensemen are playing that well in this series. Girardi hasn't been that bad I guess?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think Staal has been good too, comparatively. I mean really none of our defensemen are playing that well in this series. Girardi hasn't been that bad I guess?

Girardi was on the ice for the last 3 Caps goals. Someone unplugged his controller after Kreider turned it over. He deserves blame as well.

The defense as a whole deserves criticism. They have not collectively been able to carry the puck into the zone. Or get shots on net. I know we rely on Staal and Girardi to be defensive Dmen, but I'm sorry- at over $5m each, they need to be more complete. Not being able to do anything offensively doesn't cut it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Girardi was on the ice for the last 3 Caps goals. Someone unplugged his controller after Kreider turned it over. He deserves blame as well.

The defense as a whole deserves criticism. They have not collectively been able to carry the puck into the zone. Or get shots on net. I know we rely on Staal and Girardi to be defensive Dmen, but I'm sorry- at over $5m each, they need to be more complete. Not being able to do anything offensively doesn't cut it.

Being on the ice for 3 goals doesn't mean a player is at fault.

He actually didn't play the goal too well in Game 3. Of the last three, thats probably the only one that he deserves some blame for, although Hank and Boyle probably deserve more blame for that goal than Girardi.

The first goal for the Caps in game four isn't his fault. He was caught in a situation where he had to defend two players because other players on the ice for us were not in position and one of them (Stepan) had been tackled, so Girardi chose to play for the pass and the guy shot it. Thats not his fault. The second goal for the Caps in game four was mostly McDonagh's fault. He's our only guy back in that situation. He has to know that he can't give up the puck. The only other player that I think could deserve some blame for that goal is Hank. It was savable, but it was a lot more McDonagh's fault.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Being on the ice for 3 goals doesn't mean a player is at fault.

He actually didn't play the goal too well in Game 3. Of the last three, thats probably the only one that he deserves some blame for, although Hank and Boyle probably deserve more blame for that goal than Girardi.

The first goal for the Caps in game four isn't his fault. He was caught in a situation where he had to defend two players because other players on the ice for us were not in position and one of them (Stepan) had been tackled, so Girardi chose to play for the pass and the guy shot it. Thats not his fault. The second goal for the Caps in game four was mostly McDonagh's fault. He's our only guy back in that situation. He has to know that he can't give up the puck. The only other player that I think could deserve some blame for that goal is Hank. It was savable, but it was a lot more McDonagh's fault.

You just illustrated my point. I don't think Girardi deserves the most blame at all - but anytime anyone even points a finger at him, someone comes in with an elaborate explanation about how it's everyone elses fault besides him.

If you rewatch the 3, he was out of positiion for all 3.

I can only count a few players who don't deserve blame this series, so by no means shoud G carry the load. Just pointing out the teflon he's got for any blame.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You just illustrated my point. I don't think Girardi deserves the most blame at all - but anytime anyone even points a finger at him, someone comes in with an elaborate explanation about how it's everyone elses fault besides him.

If you rewatch the 3, he was out of positiion for all 3.

I can only count a few players who don't deserve blame this series, so by no means shoud G carry the load. Just pointing out the teflon he's got for any blame.

Agree to disagree then about the last two. I absolutely agree about the first goal. He deserves more blame for that one that people were giving him, to be fair.

I just don't see how you can say he was out of position on the last two. At the time of his decisions to do what he did (Defend the guy on his right side and pinching to join the attack), if others had done their job, we aren't even mentioning anything Girardi did because he absolutely played both situations right. Yeah, you can go back on a goal and say this guy didn't do this right or that right. When a puck is put in your net, you can always say players could have done better, but realistically we should be looking at if certain players made the right actions for what is expected of them individually. Girardi's decision making for the latter two goals in question were the right decisions to make at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino