Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Absolute abomination on skates. Matt Hunwick would have faired better against staal's competition, the killorn-filppula-stamkos line cause dude can at least skate with those guys.

Staal skates in mud nowadays and falls over his own feet (one time leading directly to a goal off an oddman rush). He's just a cringeworthy player to watch, especially with the puck on his stick. He makes Girardi look like a PMD.

Injuries decimated his career. He was once a physically dominant legit top-pair guy, even showing some semblance of a 2WD when he had that season of ~30 ESP, and a few nice goals joining the rush/going coast-to-coast. He lost his hitting dimension which made him so dominant and fearful back in the day, and he has been reduced to using his cane to try and poke check everything that moves in front of him, leading to him getting beat a lot. If I am a top-6 forward, I am licking my chops to go up against Marc Staal nowadays.

See if you can trade the guy to a young a team that wants a top 4 defenseman to get rid of his contract. I'd rather have Danny over Staal anyway, he's a better defenseman at this point.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Broken ankles will do that.

Does he really have a "broken ankle"? Is it broken in half? Is it in his locker? Broken ankle is too general a term. If his ankle was really "broken", he'd be in a cast. He's been this way too long for a mythical broken ankle to be the reason.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Granted, I haven't seen any official word yet on whether he was playing through a broken ankle...only rumors. But just wanted to point out what I thought was amusing reading through this thread:

Ryan McDonagh played through fractured foot (and understandably played pretty poorly doing so in game 7): "What a warrior. Proud of my captain."

Marc Staal may have played through a broken ankle: "What a loser. Absolute abomination on skates. Get this trash heap off my team."

--

Waiting to hear whether or not he actually had a broken ankle before passing judgment. Thought he wasn't terrible this postseason, but definitely a far cry from what I would have wanted from him. If he was playing on one leg, I kind of get why that might have been the case though...

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
FWIW, I don't see how playing a guy with a broken foot and another with a broken ankle is the better option than sliding Hunwick back in the lineup and giving him limited minutes and playing 4-5D.

Broadway Brad

Feb 26, 2012
Granted, I haven't seen any official word yet on whether he was playing through a broken ankle...only rumors. But just wanted to point out what I thought was amusing reading through this thread:

Ryan McDonagh played through fractured foot (and understandably played pretty poorly doing so in game 7): "What a warrior. Proud of my captain."

Marc Staal may have played through a broken ankle: "What a loser. Absolute abomination on skates. Get this trash heap off my team."

--

Waiting to hear whether or not he actually had a broken ankle before passing judgment. Thought he wasn't terrible this postseason, but definitely a far cry from what I would have wanted from him. If he was playing on one leg, I kind of get why that might have been the case though...
In what way was he not terrible?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Staal's new contract kicks in July 1 which allegedly includes NTC for 3 years and limited NTC for the following 3 years. Does anyone know what kind of trade protection (if any) his current contract offers? Depending on the current contract language, there may be a window between now and July 1 to move him. RB?

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Does he really have a "broken ankle"? Is it broken in half? Is it in his locker? Broken ankle is too general a term. If his ankle was really "broken", he'd be in a cast. He's been this way too long for a mythical broken ankle to be the reason.

It's obviously just a fracture. Maybe it was a small fracture or something idk but I fractured my ankle in 3 spots back in 2012 playing football and I can tell you there is no way any cortisone shot or ice could make it feel better, let alone play hockey haha. I was in a cast for 8 weeks.

His fracture probably wasn't as bad as my fracture but it is damn impressive that he was able to play at all. I'm guessing they gave him a cortisone shot more than one and basically froze the **** out of it before the games. Regardless, no way he could play at a high level with a fracture (unless it's a micro fracture or whatever).

Either way, I completely agree that healthy Staal needs to be better, and I wouldn't be opposed to trading him before the NTC kicks in on July 1st.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Staal's new contract kicks in July 1 which allegedly includes NTC for 3 years and limited NTC for the following 3 years. Does anyone know what kind of trade protection (if any) his current contract offers? Depending on the current contract language, there may be a window between now and July 1 to move him. RB?

Like the Girardi contract, had a provision to kick in immediately. Unfortunately, no window.

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/556102843477000192

(And not that it should come up, but Marc has a special NMC for the entire contract that pertains only to being put on waivers).

Last edited:

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
man i remember when staalsy was a top defenseman in the league. then his dumbass brother gave him a concussion. i dont think he'll ever get back to that level again sadly

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
After a slow start, Staal played great for the rest of the regular season, shut down Malkin completely in the playoffs, and amazingly, while playing badly this last series, still somehow reduced Stamkos to an afterthought in five of seven games. The sky isn't falling with Marc Staal. His biggest offense is he's been here so long, he no longer has that new car smell.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
After a slow start, Staal played great for the rest of the regular season, shut down Malkin completely in the playoffs, and amazingly, while playing badly this last series, still somehow reduced Stamkos to an afterthought in five of seven games. The sky isn't falling with Marc Staal. His biggest offense is he's been here so long, he no longer has that new car smell.

my sentiments exactly, he has just begun getting back to top form after the eye injury and I expect him to be more along the lines of old Marc next season.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 6 hours ago

#NYR Injury Update: Marc Staal had a bone chip removed from his ankle yesterday. He is expected to be fully recovered prior to training camp

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Had a hairline ankle fracture playing hockey in HS close to the joint. Dr said if it was a little bit closer would have had to have surgery. Not saying the fracture is in the same place, but forget about hockey I could barely walk and I didn't chip my ankle.

Guy gets no love around here because he doesn't play a sexy game. Marc Staal is best when you don't notice him. He'll be fine.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staal is as solid as they can come. Like others have said, because hes not "sexy" he gets no love.

So glad we locked him up long term, McD and him are going to anchor the blueline for the next half decade on the 1st and 2nd pairing respectfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad