Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
AV says Staal will be practicing at the beginning of the week with everyone else.

He had played 80 straight games this year, which probably resulted in a bit of wear & tear. Also, Nash played in 79 and Zuc in 77.

IMO, AV is being coy and just resting guys that have had a long season.

No worries from me. This is a good move.

Interesting... a lot of our other star players have had time off due to injuries, so they don't have as much wear and tear from playing so much: Lundqvist, McDonagh, Boyle, Stepan, St. Louis. Others are too young to get wear and tear: Kreider, Miller, Fast, Hayes. Yandle needs to learn the Rangers system so he should keep playing. Klein is out anyway. Finally, a few don't play enough minutes to get wear and tear: Hagelin, Moore, Glass.

That really leaves Nash, MZA, Brass, Staal and Girardi who could get rest. I guess Nash, MZA and Staal felt more banged up than Brass and G.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
AV says Staal will be practicing at the beginning of the week with everyone else.

He had played 80 straight games this year, which probably resulted in a bit of wear & tear. Also, Nash played in 79 and Zuc in 77.

IMO, AV is being coy and just resting guys that have had a long season.

No worries from me. This is a good move.

When did AV say that? The only quote I read from him was that he hopes Klein and Staal will be at the first practice for the playoffs, which would likely be Tuesday.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Interesting... a lot of our other star players have had time off due to injuries, so they don't have as much wear and tear from playing so much: Lundqvist, McDonagh, Boyle, Stepan, St. Louis. Others are too young to get wear and tear: Kreider, Miller, Fast, Hayes. Yandle needs to learn the Rangers system so he should keep playing. Klein is out anyway. Finally, a few don't play enough minutes to get wear and tear: Hagelin, Moore, Glass.

That really leaves Nash, MZA, Brass, Staal and Girardi who could get rest. I guess Nash, MZA and Staal felt more banged up than Brass and G.

I guess I think what I think because they wont label the injury, and are being intentionally vague when questioned. It leads me to believe that some guys just get a bit banged up more during the year than other players...for whatever reason.

If it truly is an injury, why not specify it? Unless they don't want the competition to know of a possible weak area going into the playoffs, I dunno.

Good point by you about Girardi not getting the same rest.

- He's older than Staal and has played in all 81 games.

- He has blocked 182 shots (7th in the league) to Staal's 122 shots blocked (55th in he league).

- G also averages 22:43 ice time per game....and Staal averages 21:08.

Law of averages would probably tell you that Girardi would need the rest more....especially when you also add in all the times you've seen him grimace in after having blocked a shot.

Thanks for thinking out loud. It makes me think, too. I appreciate your posts.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
When did AV say that? The only quote I read from him was that he hopes Klein and Staal will be at the first practice for the playoffs, which would likely be Tuesday.

I'll go look for the info I found yesterday. I'll post it here if I can find it.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015

T2, you are correct in that AV used the word "hoping". My apologies. Practice will be Monday or Tuesday. Video below:

Wish he would just come out and say what the deal is instead of having us guess.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I thought he kind of did:

"I'm not resting anybody," Vigneault said before the game. "If guys aren't playing [Thursday] it's because they've got injuries. Nash and Zuccarello and Marc Staal are day-to-day at this time."

Link: http://nypost.com/2015/04/09/rangers-dont-help-isles-with-indifferent-loss/

Thanks for the link. I still think when he doesn't really specify anything and calls Zucc's issue "full body soreness"...it makes his statement suspect. Anyway, it's all good.....as long as we get healthy.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Staal's missed a lot of time with injury over the past 3 years. This is the first season he's hit 80 games since 2009-2010. He likely just needs some rest...

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I dont recall this was a team discussion thread just a staal discussion thread...

I responded to a point made about his play in October and early November.

My point is that it's hard to isolate his play when the entire team was playing terribly.

Unless you think his poor play was a reflection of just himself, and a negative point about him that referred to that tailspin period is a valid form of criticism.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is when Staal shines. top second pairing d-man. His ability to shut down a top offensive player like malkin if mcdonagh is not on the ice. especially on the road. The extra rest should help especially after a couple of hard physical hits he took in that devils game

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Fully expecting Staal to obliterate the Pens top players again. Can't wait for the first time he breathes on whiny ***** Crosby. Mainboards will be a hoot.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Fully expecting Staal to obliterate the Pens top players again. Can't wait for the first time he breathes on whiny ***** Crosby. Mainboards will be a hoot.

Staal is the best 1-on-1 D-man we have, IMO. His ability to smother star players is always fun to watch. McD is good as well, but Staal is a lot more physical.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Can we give Mar(c)ky Mark some love? I know he's being mentioned in the series MVP thread but this thing needs a bump. Late in the game last night, whenever Malkin tried to go beastmode, Staal was smothering him. He looked like the "human eraser" type d-man last night.

Ranger Angst

May 3, 2009
Montreal
Always been a fan . When I'm at a game , he's a player I will follow. His positioning , first pass , sense of hockey is impressive. Too bad he suffered the eye injury because his offense was just taking off.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can we give Mar(c)ky Mark some love? I know he's being mentioned in the series MVP thread but this thing needs a bump. Late in the game last night, whenever Malkin tried to go beastmode, Staal was smothering him. He looked like the "human eraser" type d-man last night.

I'm pretty sure he was the one who inexplicably iced the puck before the Pens scored their only goal.

Other than that, he was fantastic.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
He's earning every penny of that contract. Best Dman on the ice for this team all POs. Knocking people around, winning board battles, not giving the puck away, taking the puck deep creating chances. I'm really happy the way Staal is playing and am happy for him as he's been through alot. This is the Marc Staal that used to shut down OV a few years back and hes doing it again.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Every regular season a huge chunk of the NYR fan base bores of Staal, and moves to the shiny-ier toy. And every year in the playoffs, he becomes our true number one, and puts together outstanding series'.

What a bizarre career!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad