Player Discussion Marc Staal: Part II

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Staal has a career of being used to an elite goalie bailing him out. I have no clue why NYR bought out Girardi instead of him. Personally, I might have been going with Staal first, but that's very hard to say. They're both terrible.

The big question is why they bought out Shattenkirk instead of Staal, if you ask me. We would have a ton more value i him than Staal. At least Shattenkirk knows how to handle a puck. Contract wise, it also made sense.

When you have dead weight like Staal and Smith on the team, it's tough.

I would've bought out Staal before Girardi and Shattenkirk as well and said so at the time. I give Staal credit for his career and everything else but the guy has been toast at an NHL level for years no matter what Larry Brooks says.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would've bought out Staal before Girardi and Shattenkirk as well and said so at the time. I give Staal credit for his career and everything else but the guy has been toast at an NHL level for years no matter what Larry Brooks says.

Nonsense! Staal was 9th (now 35th) since Dec 6th in 5v5 GA of all D in the league who have played at least 450 minutes!

Completely objective, since some of his peers around the league have logged 200+ minutes more than Staal and he still bleeds quality chances against but hey, apparently coaches don't care about that kind of stuff.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Staal is a black hole when it comes to the breakout, I blame it mostly on his vision problems but it is what it is. I've never seen someone have to pin the puck along the wall so much in my life.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Staal is making what? 5.7 mil?

The most points Staal has made in the last 5 years in a season is 15 points when the team signed him to his new contract. Since then, his season points numbers have been 10, 8, 13, 10. Marc is somehow paid higher than Eric.

WTF?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The man being carried over the shoulder is Staal.

Staal is a black hole when it comes to the breakout, I blame it mostly on his vision problems but it is what it is. I've never seen someone have to pin the puck along the wall so much in my life.
He has been atrocious at that for as long as I can remember now, at least for the past 8 years. That's why you can see oppponents always dumping the puck in Staal's corner. He's too slow to get it and if he somehow gets it, the opponents know they will get the puck back very soon.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
If the team asks him about his injuries and make it clear that they are condsidering a buyout, why wouldn't he just go on LTIR to collect his full paycheck?

I don't want to see the Drury scenario again where we bought him out and then he immediately retired citing injuries, WHY DIDN'T HE JUST GO ON LTIR LIKE EVERY OTHER PLAYER LIKE HIM DOES THEN!?

Seems like we're the only club in the league that doesn't ride out bad contracts on LTIR.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Staal is making what? 5.7 mil?

The most points Staal has made in the last 5 years in a season is 15 points when the team signed him to his new contract. Since then, his season points numbers have been 10, 8, 13, 10. Marc is somehow paid higher than Eric.

WTF?

Brett Howden scores more goals than Henrik Lundqvist. And Lundqvist makes 10 times what he makes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The man being carried over the shoulder is Staal.

He has been atrocious at that for as long as I can remember now, at least for the past 8 years. That's why you can see oppponents always dumping the puck in Staal's corner. He's too slow to get it and if he somehow gets it, the opponents know they will get the puck back very soon.

Careful, you don't want to upset the Thunder Bay Mafia.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Brett Howden scores more goals than Henrik Lundqvist. And Lundqvist makes 10 times what he makes.

*Insert any defenseman* at age 33 with a contract around 6 mil. Does that comparison make you feel better in terms of explaining what a terrible decision it was to extend Staal?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
*Insert any defenseman* at age 33 with a contract around 6 mil. Does that comparison make you feel better in terms of explaining what a terrible decision it was to extend Staal?

If you want to make a case for Marc Staal's contract being bad, you shouldn't use offensive production

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
B. Smith is so much better than him right now. Even with a mobile d partner in ADA he still is terrible. The sad part is guys like Rykov/Hajek didn't do much to take his spot honestly (the former having some injuries)

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really wish we could just have a nice farewell for Staal and Lundqvist at MSG this season, thank them for their service, give them a hero’s send off, and then move forward with the $14 million to apply to our future.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Some say, when you're in the zone, the game slows down for you.... When Marc Staal is in the zone, he slows down for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRanger and nyr2k2

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Marc Staal if he was a car
iu

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Some say, when you're in the zone, the game slows down for you.... When Marc Staal is in the zone, he slows down for the you.

He’s like the bizarro Chuck Norris.

Don’t skate where the puck is going to be, skate where Marc Staal is going to be.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take around Marc Staal.

Dale Purinton wears Marc Staal pajamas.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I really wish we could just have a nice farewell for Staal and Lundqvist at MSG this season, thank them for their service, give them a hero’s send off, and then move forward with the $14 million to apply to our future.

If the salary cap goes up as expected/reported, they won't NEED to move Hank. He's fine as a backup. They can sign who they need to and come close to the upper limit. If they need the extra cap room, Staal should be bought out/placed on LTIR. Smith's play has also been solid, but he's a serviceable bottom-pair guy. If he was making $2-2.5 million, it would be way more palatable. With his play, I'm sure a team could bite with about 30% retained.

Of the three, Staal is the guy they should explore first. They have Hajek/Rykov in Hartford, Miller will likely be closer to making the team next year, and if the organization feels like Nils is polished and ready for the NHL like Fox was, then they can explore ADA on the left side while using Nils on the bottom pair early next season. Removing Staal would be a HUGE addition by subtraction. The defense would add a bit more mobility to the point the goalies would benefit.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Well, if the Rangers can win the Cup, saying goodbye could be a lot easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad