Player Discussion Marc Staal: Part II

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Because we have two young and good alternatives to Hank on the roster. We have nobody to who can step in for Staal ( or Smith) on the left side .
That's the business part of it. I'm talking about the irony and how a HHOF goalie candidate will be bought out before an albatross defenseman that has been pretty much crap for half a decade - IF I'm being nice. And I mean really crap. The line of buyouts has been so substantial, he was lucky enough to fall through the cracks.

Another gift from $ather. The most overrated GM I can think of, considering his general reputation. Most of his signings were albatrosses, duds or catastrophes, combined with the coach he was supposed to work with. The manure spread of his leadership is still felt. He could negotiate RFA contracts, but he was completely useless at everything else. He had no general strategy, so he had no idea what kind of players he should even sign or even what kind of line he should even follow. What a joke.

Such a hard time getting a reputation being a good GM when you get Gretzky on your team in the 80s. Apparently the sparkles never fade.

He was an idiot as a start and then he got older and even worse. This continuing debacle is because of $ather. If I was an advisor for that man, I would always advise against what he ever thought was a good idea. That would probably have brought a Cup to the Rangers if not for him.

He had a HHOF goalie fall in his lap and he squandered it, royally. I can't even think of how bad you can perform in his position, with the franchise reputation and still do such a bad job to construct a competitive team. What an utter joke. He had a decade and compared to the salary he had, the teams were always pretty damn weak.

So yeah, I'm not blaming Staal and I'm not blaming Lundqvist. I'm blaming having that idiot as a GM for that long. His signings were like a manure spreader in terms of strategy. No plan.

At least I can say I don't think the current GM is a drug addict. That's a plus. In that way, Gorton is a huge upgrade.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I will defend Staal all day long in here. A few years ago he played absolutely awful. After that one awful year he came back and is a pretty good stay-at-home D man. I know his contract is horrible but he is a good pairing for a free wheeling D man like Tony D. Staal is one of our warriors that I don't mind him being here.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
staal has many holes in his game. hes slow. he does things slowly. he doesnt handle to the puck well. his ability to play against top forwards is nil. hes exposed badly against speed. he is a difficult partner to play with. he doest possess the puck. he backs in way too much surrendering too much ice. he isnt good.

having said that, there is NO ONE ready to step in and play right now. the fact that we need brendan smith to step into bradys minutes tells you exactly that. were stuck.

quinn continues to glorify staal as an important part of the defense. hes old. hes a vet. hes been around. thats about all the positives there are. with brady gone, staal is all we got.

the thought of another season of marc staal next year is terrifying.

this also means that Rykov, Hajek and other defensive prospects won't that good the future, especially if they can't replace Marc Staal on this team now.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It feels like Rykov has been hurt since camp

Hajek is proably a better option but Staal has to give you an overwhelming reason to sit him @ $5.7M. Hopefully soon.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
staal has many holes in his game. hes slow. he does things slowly. he doesnt handle to the puck well. his ability to play against top forwards is nil. hes exposed badly against speed. he is a difficult partner to play with. he doest possess the puck. he backs in way too much surrendering too much ice. he isnt good.

having said that, there is NO ONE ready to step in and play right now. the fact that we need brendan smith to step into bradys minutes tells you exactly that. were stuck.

quinn continues to glorify staal as an important part of the defense. hes old. hes a vet. hes been around. thats about all the positives there are. with brady gone, staal is all we got.

the thought of another season of marc staal next year is terrifying.

Rykov and Hajek are not ready to step in?

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
This is where you and I differ. You can appreciate what he's done and who he is as a person, but we shouldn't be carrying (and using) a player who obviously cannot perform at this level anymore (in any capacity.) Gone soon isn't enough, he should have been gone yesterday.
I showed you proof positive of his good play since Dec 6th. So your reasoning above is flawed. Also flawed, is your examples of high danger chances. We had this discussion before, so I won't go through it again. I'll just say, the stats you are using as high danger chances are not what the coaches consider or use.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's not just me. There's your opinion, and then there are those, who's opinions matter. Have a listen to what the coach has to say at the 3:19 mark,...

A coach being positive about his own player? Not saying that's always wrong but let's not take that as the one and only truth. Girardi was defended by coaches for years and he was costing us games

Reactions: jas and Reway10

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
A coach being positive about his own player? Not saying that's always wrong but let's not take that as the one and only truth. Girardi was defended by coaches for years and he was costing us games
I myself have seen Staal playing well, and the stats I provided back that up. Quinn saying this yesterday just backs up the obvious. And why would you doubt his honesty anyway? He had no problem ragging the top two lines tonight vs MTL in the postgame. Which was again obvious being he broke those two lines up, late in the second period. You have seen him for a year and a half now. He doesn't tell it like it is?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I myself have seen Staal playing well, and the stats I provided back that up. Quinn saying this yesterday just backs up the obvious. And why would you doubt his honesty anyway? He had no problem ragging the top two lines tonight vs MTL in the postgame. Which was again obvious being he broke those two lines up, late in the second period. You have seen him for a year and a half now. He doesn't tell it like it is?

It depends on what your expectations are. Staal has played better than the start of the season, but he's still, at best, a 3rd pair D-man. Not necessarily bad, but to praise him the way Quinn does just feels like a coach protecting his player.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
It depends on what your expectations are. Staal has played better than the start of the season, but he's still, at best, a 3rd pair D-man. Not necessarily bad, but to praise him the way Quinn does just feels like a coach protecting his player.
You haven't looked at the stats, that back up my and the coach's opinion.

"Since returning to the lineup Dec. 6 following ankle surgery, Staal has been on the ice for 16 goals against in 456:40 of five-on-five hockey. Only nine defensemen in the NHL have played at least 450 minutes of five-on-five in that time frame and have been on for fewer goals against than the 33-year-old" (naturalstattrick.com).

This means,... out of at least 120 D-men in this league, since Dec 6th, Staal has been on the ice for less goals against, than a 111 of them in 5 on 5 play.

This definitely deserves high praise from your coach,... as in, "Staal has had a really, really good stretch here, his last two months have been really good."

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You haven't looked at the stats, that back up my and the coach's opinion.

"Since returning to the lineup Dec. 6 following ankle surgery, Staal has been on the ice for 16 goals against in 456:40 of five-on-five hockey. Only nine defensemen in the NHL have played at least 450 minutes of five-on-five in that time frame and have been on for fewer goals against than the 33-year-old" (naturalstattrick.com).

This means,... out of at least 120 D-men in this league, since Dec 6th, Staal has been on the ice for less goals against, than a 111 of them in 5 on 5 play.

This definitely deserves high praise from your coach,... as in, "Staal has had a really, really good stretch here, his last two months have been really good."

Except his last month has not been really good. Neither was the month before that.

I mean I laid it out for you..

Reactions: Blue Blooded

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Except his last month has not been really good. Neither was the month before that.

I mean I laid it out for you..
LOL! You're funny. You're like a kid who gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar and said he didn't do it. Incorrigible.

What is your point exactly? To build yourself up that you have some inside knowledge that a 33 yr old player is on his way out? You don't see how ridiculous that is?

What happens next year or the one after. Gonna change your moniker to GoAwayKakko? LOL

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
LOL! You're funny. Your like a kid who gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar and said he didn't do it. Incorrigible.

And you're like the kid who sticks his fingers in his ears and says "lalalalalala."

Facts are a bitch when they don't support what you want them to support eh?

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
And you're like the kid who sticks his fingers in his ears and says "lalalalalala."

Facts are a bitch when they don't support what you want them to support eh?
I trust people can see what facts are real and which are manipulated or insignificant.

Hey here are some more moniker suggestions for the year after,... GoAwayHowden, BiteMeSmith, PleaseFastPlease, TroubaBootedNow. Feel free to use those or any other childish ideas.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Staal is horrible.

Shesterkin is having a start to his career that's the stuff of legend.

Georgiev is playing phenomenal hockey.

THAT is why he's been on the ice for fewer goals against.

Staal rode henriks coattails to a huge payday, and now he's riding shesterkins to being seen as an acceptable defenseman.

He's not. He's horrible.

He's probably better than hajek, but that's about it. Brendan smith is much better than staal. The difference in the 2 is how staal is seen within the organization. Staal is a warrior with leadership. Smith ate tacos and drank kegs for months after signing his new deal.

I'd rather have smith than staal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I trust people can see what facts are real and which are manipulated or insignificant.

Hey here are some more moniker suggestions for the year after,... GoAwayHowden, BiteMeSmith, PleaseFastPlease, TroubaBootedNow. Feel free to use those or any other childish ideas.

Manipulated and insignificant when they don't support what you wish they did. Its as if I WANT Staal to be bad. I can assure you that I do not, but he is bad, really bad.

lol at BiteMeSmith though.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007

Staal rode henriks coattails to a huge payday, and now he's riding shesterkins to being seen as an acceptable defenseman.
Yeah it's the same old argument. Never works both ways when it suits you. Hank helped Staal's stats, but Staal never helped Hank. It's a silly argument. It's just like the Panarin, Strome bull.

BTW Shesty came up in Jan 7th. Staal's improved performance started Dec 6th.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Its as if I WANT Staal to be bad
I thought that was obvious? I show you the stats he's the 9th best D-men in goals against playing at 5 on 5 since early December,...what 4 days ago... And yesterday Quinn confirms it with high praise of his play in that time.

But GoAwayStaal has unique insight that our eyes are deceiving us. LOL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I thought that was obvious? I show you the stats he's the 9th best D-men in goals against playing at 5 on 5 since early December,...what 4 days ago... And yesterday Quinn confirms it with high praise of his play in that time.

But GoAwayStaal has unique insight that our eyes are deceiving us. LOL

It isn't unique insight, it's public and clear as day to anyone who doesn't want to ignore the truth.

This is like arguing with a flat earther or a creationist.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Staal is horrible.

Shesterkin is having a start to his career that's the stuff of legend.

Georgiev is playing phenomenal hockey.

He's not. He's horrible.

He's probably better than hajek, but that's about it. Brendan smith is much better than staal. The difference in the 2 is how staal is seen within the organization. Staal is a warrior with leadership. Smith ate tacos and drank kegs for months after signing his new deal.

I'd rather have smith than staal.
Strålman was also a huge part of Staal's payday.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
When you have nothing productive to add or can't back up anything you say with out stats that have no context or appealing to authority, stoop to grasping for straws in a pile of semantics.
You can't count to 8 and we are supposed to have faith your stats are meaningful or significant? You never cease to amaze me with the depth of your ignorance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad