Player Discussion Marc Staal: Part II

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There’s no way Joel Edmundson gets $4MM next year. More like $2.5MM for 2 years.
He’s making over 3 million right now isn’t he? If he continues to play well in these playoffs he’s gonna take a pay cut? I mean I know there is a flat cap but there are some teams with cap space and defensive needs that will give him more than 2.5 million

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
He’s making over 3 million right now isn’t he? If he continues to play well in these playoffs he’s gonna take a pay cut? I mean I know there is a flat cap but there are some teams with cap space and defensive needs that will give him more than 2.5 million
He was overpaid on his current contract. He never took the step to be a top 4 defenseman. Flat cap is going to kill a lot of salary expectations. Of course, if he wants to play in Detroit or Ottawa....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I haven't been following, are the Rangers most likely to stick with Staal next season, try to trade him, or do another buyout?

They love the guy for what ever reason so I'm not sure that a buy out is in the cards for him. No one has even breached the subject and he was free of all criticism from the media and coaches, even though his playoff and season were both historically awful.

Only an idiot would trade for him but perhaps AV tries to get Philly to take him on for a year if they get bounced early. Could be a realistic landing spot for him as Philly isn't too far from his home in CT.

I think Quinn knows he sucks. He cut his minutes as the season went on and Staal proved that he can't handle even a bottom pair role anymore. I can see him actually being the extra next year provided that there is someone down in the A/over seas currently who steps into camp and shines.

... Okay, this will only happen if K'Andre Miller crushes it.

Retirement would be the best option for us. Maybe if the season starts late enough he decides that it just isn't worth it. That or LTIR with a "mystery" ailment.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He was overpaid on his current contract. He never took the step to be a top 4 defenseman. Flat cap is going to kill a lot of salary expectations. Of course, if he wants to play in Detroit or Ottawa....

He's logging 23 minutes a night on a playoff team. He can eat minutes and is pretty solid.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think it all depends on what happens with Hank. If Hank retires I can see them buying out Staal
Why? The reason to buy out anyone (realistically Staal/Lundqvist/Smith) is to clear cap space. If Lundqvist retires and clears his entire $8.5M hit from the cap, there wouldn't be any pressing need to buy out any other player.

I think a buyout of Staal is far more likely if Henrik doesn't retire and we have some or all of his hit on the books.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I feel bad for Staal. he really has been a fantastic ranger over his career but some posters are legit funny in how they trash talk him so I hit the "like" button.

Plus he accepted way too much money and way too many years on his current contract. There was no way he was going to live up to it. It was roughly market value of course but the NHL FA market value for guys nearing 30 has been a shit show for over a decade. Guys want to accept more than they could live up to and don't retire? Well then they deservedly get shit on.

Reactions: ecemleafs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel bad for Staal. he really has been a fantastic ranger over his career but some posters are legit funny in how they trash talk him so I hit the "like" button.

Plus he accepted way too much money and way too many years on his current contract. There was no way he was going to live up to it. It was roughly market value of course but the NHL FA market value for guys nearing 30 has been a shit show for over a decade. Guys want to accept more than they could live up to and don't retire? Well then they deservedly get shit on.
Does the team also get shit on for offering more money to the player than what he can live up to? I mean, if we accept "what a player can live up to" is an actual quantifiable thing, then you'd have to affix equal parts blame, right? Or even more to the team, which is a business and must make moves in the interest of the business, as opposed to an individual looking out for his own interests?

Reactions: Desdichado93

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Does the team also get shit on for offering more money to the player than what he can live up to?
Yes. But that'd be in the Sather/NYR front office from 6 years ago thread. So we can throw some shade Gorton's way if he was here (I think he was). But unlike Staal, Gorton is pulling his weight currently so that mitigates the mistake. Plus it was more Glen.

The NYR front office can mitigate criticism for one Staal by making other moves.

Staal can't really mitigate the fact that he's turning the art of defense into an abortion during every shift he takes (I'm sorry, I'm going overboard for fun) unless he retires or improves

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes. But that'd be in the Sather/NYR front office from 6 years ago thread.
It's all part of the narrative of how we arrived at this point. If you want to shit on a guy for accepting more than he was worth, which IMO is plain ridiculous, you can't just ignore the component where the team takes blame just because "the guy that signed him is gone" or whatever.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
OK Im messing around. I don't blame Staal for taking the money. It was FA market value. But he didn't live up to it so I also don't blame people for taking out their frustrations.

Im not exactly known for destroying Marc Staal every chance I get, I just don't hate the notion that people are trashing his dreadful performance in general (let alone how bad it looks when considering his contract). And some people are really good at trashing how bad his performance is.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Why? The reason to buy out anyone (realistically Staal/Lundqvist/Smith) is to clear cap space. If Lundqvist retires and clears his entire $8.5M hit from the cap, there wouldn't be any pressing need to buy out any other player.

I think a buyout of Staal is far more likely if Henrik doesn't retire and we have some or all of his hit on the books

I think you misinterpreted

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Without Staal, we probably aren't in a timeline where we now have Kakko and Lafreniere. That will be my mantra for the year.
I don't know about that. If you ask me they got those picks because of karma, last year they played hard at the end instead of tanking and this year they didn't unload Kreider for picks and also played hard, carolina meltdown notwithstanding

Reactions: smoneil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad