Player Discussion Marc Staal: Part II

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I will defend Staal all day long in here. A few years ago he played absolutely awful. After that one awful year he came back and is a pretty good stay-at-home D man. I know his contract is horrible but he is a good pairing for a free wheeling D man like Tony D. Staal is one of our warriors that I don't mind him being here.
Several different advance stat models have him as a middle 4 AHl player. I can also post multiple vidoes of him getting crushed 1v1 in his own zone from this season. So besides not thinking you have a single clue what you are talking about i also doubt you can put together of string of words that are worth responding to.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Several different advance stat models have him as a middle 4 AHl player. I can also post multiple vidoes of him getting crushed 1v1 in his own zone from this season. So besides not thinking you have a single clue what you are talking about i also doubt you can put together of string of words that are worth responding to.

I mean I agree on Staal but yeesh....

KK is good peoples. You sure you didn't confuse her with ohbaby?

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Several different advance stat models have him as a middle 4 AHl player.
Yeah and he plays 18 minutes a game for an organization, who in less than two years, has rebuilt this team into a possible playoff contender. What are they thinking of, in starting a middle AHLer?

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Lindy

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
You sure you didn't confuse her with ohbaby?

This from the man who said the Rangers played 5 games in 7 days.
Confusing his own weekly schedule at MacDonald's with that of an NHL team. This is rich.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not an NHL level defenseman.

Only difference between tonight's game and most of his other games is that his gaffes ended up in the back of the net. Amazing what happens when your goalie doesn't bail you out to the tune of a .950+ Save percentage.

On the plus side, he's going to single handedly lower the AAV on DeAngelo's next contract.

Reactions: LokiDog

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’m really looking forward to Staal’s retirement tour all of next season . . . although the tour might be derailed by Hank’s.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not an NHL level defenseman.

Only difference between tonight's game and most of his other games is that his gaffes ended up in the back of the net. Amazing what happens when your goalie doesn't bail you out to the tune of a .950+ Save percentage.

On the plus side, he's going to single handedly lower the AAV on DeAngelo's next contract.
Staal has a career of being used to an elite goalie bailing him out. I have no clue why NYR bought out Girardi instead of him. Personally, I might have been going with Staal first, but that's very hard to say. They're both terrible.

The big question is why they bought out Shattenkirk instead of Staal, if you ask me. We would have a ton more value i him than Staal. At least Shattenkirk knows how to handle a puck. Contract wise, it also made sense.

When you have dead weight like Staal and Smith on the team, it's tough.

BLEETCH1994

Jun 11, 2019
I know you guys are angry at Staal still being on this team right now. I just wanted to acknowledge how long and hard he has played for this team. Be angry at his contract (how is that his fault?), be angry about how he has played the last few years, but damn....6th all time? He has been a warrior for this team. That's all I meant. Peace.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No one hates Marc Staal the person...

We have EVERY RIGHT complain about the player though. His spot on their all time games played list is only a reminder of how long hes hung around despite being woefully subpar for half of his Rangers tenure.

Dressing for games when you are no longer capable of doing the job is not really commendable. It's not entirely his fault, that part I will agree with, but people have a right to be pissed that hes playing. He is not a NHL level player and he hurts this team. That is the truth and it's been laid out ad nauseam in this thread and in others. Even if it's blatantly ignored by some yahoos a few McNuggets short of a happy meal, that doesn't change the truth.

Reactions: Morten

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Rangers were managing without Kreider up until Staal’s stupidity directly resulted in the 2nd Flyers goal. He then made another mistake leading to the 3rd goal.

He cannot be a starter next season, whether he is with this team or not.

Reactions: jas and bl02

BLEETCH1994

Jun 11, 2019

We have EVERY RIGHT complain about the player though. His spot on their all time games played list is only a reminder of how long hes hung around despite being woefully subpar for half of his Rangers tenure.

Dressing for games when you are no longer capable of doing the job is not really commendable. It's not entirely his fault, that part I will agree with, but people have a right to be pissed that hes playing. He is not a NHL level player and he hurts this team. That is the truth and it's been laid out ad nauseam in this thread and in others. Even if it's blatantly ignored by some yahoos a few McNuggets short of a happy meal, that doesn't change the truth.

Your point stands...but speaking of ad nauseum, you are the king. As pissy as you are about Marc, I honestly hope you have something to add to this forum once he is done here. I dig your posts when you are not fixated on him. I truly do. I don't want to argue on here. I just wanted to give an acknowledgement for what Marc has given for the team. That being said, I hope to stick up for CK20 once he gets close to games played...6-7 years from now. Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohbaby

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers were managing without Kreider up until Staal’s stupidity directly resulted in the 2nd Flyers goal. He then made another mistake leading to the 3rd goal.

He cannot be a starter next season, whether he is with this team or not.

The 4th goal, while on the PK, was also scored by his guy as well.

Fun fact? Since December 6th, Marc Staal doesn't even have the fewest GA's 5v5 on his own team anymore!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Staal has a career of being used to an elite goalie bailing him out.
I beg to differ. The Rangers for years were always up there in being a top defensive team. Once Girardi and McDonagh left, Hank was left out to dry and we fell to being one of the worse teams defensively. It is easy to say an Elite goalie bails a team out. But we all know it's a full team effort. This year alone is a classic example. It is night and day between the first half of the year and the second,... on how we have learned to play D as a team. It's not all Shesty and Georgie. They are the first to admit how well the guys are playing in front of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: motopanekeku

BLEETCH1994

Jun 11, 2019

Just curious, when you say "we", do you mean all 6-7 posters on HFBoards and another 10 on Reddit that agree with you? Or are you pretending to speak for all Rangers fans again? The man played his whole career trying to win a Cup with the Rangers. Pick another other than Hank in the last 20 years to do so.

Last edited:

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
No reason to knock Staal. We know what he is at this point. I give the guy credit he probably couldn’t have sat back and collected that insurance money after his horrific eye injury. Staal will be gone this offseason or next. No point in chasing the guy out of NYC with bats & chains.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
enjoy the last 18 games. He's getting bought out after the season.

I see no reason why he should retire.

he’s not forfeiting the cash plus he’s fine if on a cheaper dead elsewhere

I see Smith going in a trade to Ottawa while Staal is scratched more next

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I see Smith going in a trade to Ottawa while Staal is scratched more next

Smith dealt would be ideal, even with retention, wouldn't want to have to add an asset though.

I suppose you meant Staal scratched more next season? No, he will be bough out. There is no other way, we can only profit.

Specially if we want to sign ADA and Strome and Geo.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just curious, when you say "we", do you mean all 6-7 posters on HFBoards and another 10 on Reddit that agree with you? Or are you pretending to speak for all Rangers fans again? The man played his whole career trying to win a Cup with the Rangers. Pick another other than Hank in the last 20 years to do so.

We= Those of us who are tired of watching Staal.

Reading isn't that hard.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Smith dealt would be ideal, even with retention, wouldn't want to have to add an asset though.

I suppose you meant Staal scratched more next season? No, he will be bough out. There is no other way, we can only profit.

Specially if we want to sign ADA and Strome and Geo.

I think Hank retires or they can trade him at half price

cap will be ok next yr then in 2 yrs it’s no issue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad