News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes...he has gotten off to a slow start...he has been pretty invisible on the ice...very disappointing....a non-factor.
They didn’t sign him for his performance over the first 4 games of this season.

Man fans worry way too much about players pockets it’s insane.

His deal hasn’t even kicked in yet

Last edited:

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Suzuki is unproven, that’s a fact. He has also shown us glimpses of skills that no other Hab has shown us in recent years, that’s also a fact.

So I don’t think it’s far fetched to sign him long term based on the potential alone. Especially after a few seasons where we’ve lost many assets for nothing.

IMO MB has made countless questionable moves and blunders, signing Suzuki long term isn’t one of them.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016

His desk hasn’t even kicked in yet
That's because it's a cap world and everyone is terrified of overspending. Some people are constantly looking at the future and every move needs to be hedged against the infinite possibilities it holds.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's because it's a cap world and everyone is terrified of overspending. Some people are constantly looking at the future and every move needs to be hedged against the infinite possibilities it holds.
No one can predict the future + they pay people a lot of money to crunch those numbers.

Just because we can look up numbers on cap friendly doesn’t make us capologists. Think of it as a complex algorithm, trying to figure it out without all the information in hand is almost pointless.

They didn’t just throw money on the table to come to a deal and numbers.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man... he's still unproven... accept it.
So what if he’s unproven lol

Contracts aren’t just handed out to proven players lol

What are you even arguing? What do you want me to accept?

That your entire premise is faulty?

On one hand you’re arguing that Suzuki isn’t proven this doesn’t deserve a contract that is designed on a projection.

Yet on the other you’re saying that Tkachuk, whose got a similar career PPG but doesn’t have the post season experience and numbers that Suzuki has, is proven?

Sorry, all due respect but you’re not making much sense.

Unless you’re dealing with a generational player coming on his ELC, you’re not paying him for what he’s proven, you’re paying him for what you think he can become.

The more you buy into that projection, the more it costs.

It’s really not that complicated, at least conceptually, it isn’t.

Last edited:

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
For someone that tries to call out other Habs fans as crybabies you sure as hell cry a lot.

You have to figure out if you are part of 80% cry-babies club...or the 20% positive contributor?
I feel I am a positive contributor.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
So what if he’s unproven lol

Contracts aren’t just handed out to proven players lol

What are you even arguing? What do you want me to accept?

That your entire premise is faulty?

On one hand you’re arguing that Suzuki isn’t proven this doesn’t deserve a contract that is designed on a projection.

Yet on the other you’re saying that Tkachuk, whose got a similar career PPG but doesn’t have the post season experience and numbers that Suzuki has, is proven?

Sorry, all due respect but you’re not making much sense.

Unless you’re dealing with a generational player coming on his ELC, you’re not paying him for what he’s proven, you’re paying him for what you think he can become.

The more you buy into that projection, the more it costs.

It’s really not that complicated.

I am saying...it was too early to make that projection.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I am saying...it was too early to make that projection.
Not sure you’re saying that 2 weeks ago.

But hey, maybe that will prove right. Only time will tell, I’d just suggest to not have the expectation that he’s going to justify 63M in 82 games this year.

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians
I would to see Roy back with the Habs. He knows tons of awesome juniors. Knows the game. Would be great just to have around for our Goalies. He is a fierce competitor . Wants to win. Make him GM, Head scout and a goalie coach. Can't go wrong.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Not sure you’re saying that 2 weeks ago.

But hey, maybe that will prove right. Only time will tell, I’d just suggest to not have the expectation that he’s going to justify 63M in 82 games this year.

Hey... time will tell...I would have signed him to a big contract once he can put up big numbers consistently.
Now, we decided to pay him figuring he will soon be producing 70+ a season. Now, he has to prove he's worth the big contract...no excuses, he has to produce...point final!!!

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor

His deal hasn’t even kicked in yet
Yeah if we were basing every players wage on how they played to start this season they would all be making league minimum save for a couple of players

Reactions: 417

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Yeah if we were basing every players wage on how they played to start this season they would all be making league minimum save for a couple of players

Suzuki contract... isn't average...it is a major commitment the team has made...it will affect the salary cap going forward.
Now, Suzuki needs to play consistently like he is clearly our best forward... because he is our best paid forward.

Reactions: amethyst

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Suzuki contract... isn't average...it is a major commitment the team has made...it will affect the salary cap going forward.
Like every contract

Now, Suzuki needs to play consistently like he is clearly our best forward... because he is our best paid forward.
He’s not our best paid forward.

Once more, the deal doesn’t kick in until NEXT season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Like every contract

He’s not our best paid forward.

Once more, the deal doesn’t kick in until NEXT season.

it's weird how some fans don't quite get that Suzuki is still on his ELC...

it was always likely that he'd continue to progress unevenly, anyone expecting him to definitively "improve" on last season doesn't get player development. Especially being thrust into the #1C role without a Danault to take on heavy responsibility, and without any elite wingers that can be counted on to dominate/produce consistently.

He doesn't need to do anything other than compete hard nightly and continue to learn. If his production falters a bit, THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED... (not aimed at you, just at the mindless posts from poster seeking a new young player to heap unwarranted expectations and the vitriol that follows now that JKO is gone).

That's maybe the worst part about JKO leaving... fans will need a new top young player to be the target :facepalm:

Reactions: Pickles and 417

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I am not sure what your position is with regards to the Suzuki signing.
Personally, I would have waited for him to produce consistently.
But now, they signed him to a big deal and you know what that means...big contract=big pressure!!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But now, they signed him to a big deal and you know what that means...big contract=big pressure!!!
I don’t know…my position seems clear to me.

And of course he’s going to have big pressure, he’s going to have big pressure no how much money he makes.

But fundamentally, if your main argument is that he didn’t prove anything, then you’re proving you don’t understand how contracts work and any added pressure that results from this contract on Suzuki, is from unrealistic expectations rather than unfulfilled potential.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

why don't you focus your attention on Gallagher and his big contract (the one that has actually started) instead

Reactions: 417

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Yes... let's miss the playoffs...and hopefully, we can become lucky enough to draft a first line centreman like Shane Wright.
thats what I wanted to say about the tank...

Bergevin signed Suzuki for top dollar #1 C money.. if we draft WRIGHT then we eventually have to pay HIM too... by the time we pay WRIGHT other money will be off the books like Drouin, savard, etc etc and younger players like brooks, Struble, Harris may be knocking on the door of top4 if they pan out..

fun times ahead?

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I would to see Roy back with the Habs. He knows tons of awesome juniors. Knows the game. Would be great just to have around for our Goalies. He is a fierce competitor . Wants to win. Make him GM, Head scout and a goalie coach. Can't go wrong.

BananaCat11...I agree with the points you made with regards to Patrick Roy...fierce competitor, great for our goalies... knowledgeable regarding drafting young players... knows the Q inside and out.
Many positives.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
thats what I wanted to say about the tank...

Bergevin signed Suzuki for top dollar #1 C money.. if we draft WRIGHT then we eventually have to pay HIM too... by the time we pay WRIGHT other money will be off the books like Drouin, savard, etc etc and younger players like brooks, Struble, Harris may be knocking on the door of top4 if they pan out..

fun times ahead?

Let's hope we draft first overall and we are able to draft Shane Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad