News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Sports and politics do not mix. Those that do are doomed to loser status. If every member of the Habs was french speaking yet 0-82 would you be happy? If there were no french speaking members at all yet are perennial winners who would be sad?

Ok let me try it as well: if every member of the Habs was english speaking yet 0-82 would you be happy? If there were no english speaking members at all yet are perennial winners who would be sad?

See how bad it looks? I hope you reflect on this.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I would just point out that nearly all of our acquisitions this off-season were French-speaking talent or Q-grown talent. Our start is 0-5. It's a shame we're never tanking when elite Q talent is available.

I'd second Gorton as GM. He basically built the Bruins decade-long relevance in one off-season.

Jul 6, 2016
I would just point out that nearly all of our acquisitions this off-season were French-speaking talent or Q-grown talent. Our start is 0-5. It's a shame we're never tanking when elite Q talent is available.

I'd second Gorton as GM. He basically built the Bruins decade-long relevance in one off-season.

The two "French" players they acquired were to play on a bottom line to replace Evans which is was supposed to take #3 center spot, injured Byron and UFA Perry. Or be #13 forward. Basically, only Savard was signed to accomplish a more important task and play on a second pairing. Not his fault that Weber is gone (forever) or Edmundson is injured.

Would you have prefer Drouin to retire or be dealt ?

What about the loss of Danault ?

They are 0-5, not because of French player, but because they lost a shit load of leadership and skills.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Losing...we got to the cup finals... which 29 other teams were unable to do.
yeah but it was only because that Covid guy
COVID-19.jpg

Jul 6, 2016
One of the French guy

One of the French guy just scores three goals tonight......

Jul 6, 2016
One of the French guy

One of the French guy just scores three goals tonight......

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

(Mod)

We have some core players underperforming and these are not the Q players. Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Chiarot, Romanov, Armia, etc.

Drouin and Perreault leads the forwards in on-ice xGF%. Paquette is a depth player. Savard sucks but he deserves some time, coming from a man-to-man defensive system.

And what about our best all around Q centerman we lost in the off-season

If Suzuki was called Simard, with the new contract and his season start, you and others would be sh**ting all over him right now. Meanwhile, Drouin’s thread is buried in the 3rd page despite 5pts in 6 game and a 57% xGF

Edit : To clarify IDC about having Q players or not. But I fu**ing hate the treatment Q players get in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I would just point out that your post borders bigotry.

We have some core players underperforming and these are not the Q players. Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Chiarot, Romanov, Armia, etc.

Drouin and Perreault leads the forwards in on-ice xGF%. Paquette is a depth player. Savard sucks but he deserves some time, coming from a man-to-man defensive system.

And what about our best all around Q centerman we lost in the off-season

If Suzuki was called Simard, with the new contract and his season start, you and others would be sh**ting all over him right now. Meanwhile, Drouin’s thread is buried in the 3rd page despite 5pts in 6 game and a 57% xGF

Edit : To clarify IDC about having Q players or not. But I fu**ing hate the treatment Q players get in here.

Usually teams are happy to have hometown talent to promote. For some fans in Montreal though, it's a huge scan to make the team less competitive lol.

Thing is, I don't understand how any Q acquisition could be construed as favoritism or anything similar. Each one of them that we pick up are picked up for a clear purpose and role. And like you said, most of our Q players are bottom liners anyway lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
MB wants out guys..........he doesn't know what to do.....he is exhausted, and just seems to lack the vision to move a team forward...
Think about this for a minute............3 years no playoffs, then two terrible seasons, which produced covid playoffs, we would not have made it without Covid...let that sink in......................and now THIS debacle of a start to the season.

MB's ticket, is, and was Price. Every guy or gal on this board could have run the habs over the years, as long as Price was healthy.....I know that's an exaggeration, but somewhat true....
MB will be known as the guy who inherited a 24 yr old Price............and sat on it...
Yes, he did a few good things, but...........not maximizing Price's best years, will be on his shoulders...
Came in at the worst time possible. Squandered a good young core and one of the best players in hockey. That’s how I’ll remember him.

We have to get the next GM right.

Reactions: expy and Seb

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When yzerman left Tampa bay did their owner declare that they would only hire a new gm that came from Florida because only such a person could possible understand the requirements of that market?

No they hired the best GM available. That guy was from quebec but that had zero impact.

So when it's our time to hire a new gm and the best guy us from Florida we will not even give him an interview.
I’m all for hiring the best GM but let’s be real here… hockey in Quebec is deeply engrained in cultural history and Quebec is unique with the French culture. The Florida Panthers are lucky if the people in their town know they even have a team…

In my opinion, the right thing to do is get the right GM. Polloch was an English GM and nobody had a problem with him.

Hire the right guy. If he’s English, hire a French assistant GM.

Totally get mainstaining a French flavour, that has to happen. But I don’t see any rule saying we can’t have an English GM.

If the right guy is French, great! All in on that too.

My worry is a window dressing move. Patrick Roy gets hired because he’s a former Hab. French or not, I think he’s the wrong guy. But he’s who I see us bringing in. And I don’t think it’s going to help us.

A shame we didn’t bring in Brisebois years ago because he WAS the right guy. We probably would’ve won some cups with him.

Last edited:

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
I’m all for hiring the best GM but let’s be real here… hockey in Quebec is deeply engrained in cultural history and Quebec is unique with the French culture. The Florida Panthers are lucky if the people in their town know they even have a team…

In my opinion, the right thing to do is get the right GM. Polloch was an English GM and nobody had a problem with him.

Totally get mainstaining a French flavour, that has to happen. But I don’t see any rule saying we can’t have an English GM.

My worry is a window dressing move. Patrick Roy gets hired because he’s a former Hab. French or not, I think he’s the wrong guy. But he’s who I see us bringing in. And I don’t think it’s going to help us.

A shame we didn’t bring in Brisebois years ago because he WAS the right guy. We probably would’ve won some cups with him.
It feels like the habs are too often a victim of timing.

Brisbois was available but because we weren't totally a cluster F at the time we kept our mediocre gm bergevin and now that we are ready to move on there is no longer a super candidate that happens to also be French.

Even more worrisome i dont even know if there are Any super good candidates available regardless if language.

So yes I agree window dressing change is likely all we will get

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It feels like the habs are too often a victim of timing.

Brisbois was available but because we weren't totally a cluster F at the time we kept our mediocre gm bergevin and now that we are ready to move on there is no longer a super candidate that happens to also be French.

Even more worrisome i dont even know if there are Any super good candidates available regardless if language.

So yes I agree window dressing change is likely all we will get

Molson will hire Roy to appease everyone, especially the media. From his prespective, it seems the easy and obvious choice.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
98% of people would sign that contract.

And every GM.

Even if he busts hard, it would be unlucky but Bergevin shouldn't be blamed for moves like this. It's everything else.
Yeah, like I said in a different thread, Suzuki's contract is basically the only forward thinking contract Bergevin gave out.

Pretty much the exact opposite of the Subban debacle where he played extreme hardball and was forced into signing a much bigger deal.

Bergevin deserves a ton of criticism for a ton of things, but that's one that deserves praise.

Reactions: Natey

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Pollock was an NDG guy, though.

Like if we had hired Charlie Henry as GM (which we should have back then BTW).

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Molson will hire Roy to appease everyone, especially the media. From his prespective, it seems the easy and obvious choice.
There was a discussion at l'Antichambre about that this week. They said the CH need more Roy than Roy need to be the gm of Mtl. Because everything is fine with Roy with the Ramparts. If he become gm of Mtl, everything could turn bad for him.

They gave the example of Dale Hunter. He was doing just fine with the London Knights. He became Capitals coach and then returned to the London Knights where he is happy. The conclusion : better being a successful king in a smaller kingdom, happiness is more important. NHL kills a lot of gms and coaches, sometimes it's better to avoid it.

Reactions: amethyst
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad