News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughesNation

Jan 20, 2021
Danny Gélinas, columnist at La Voix de l'Est, got wet yesterday by saying that according to his sources, Geoff Molson would have met Patrick Roy recently and that he could become the next general manager of the Habs.

What do you guys think? Is Roy a good fit for this role? Someone else would be better? Discuss.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Danny Gélinas, columnist at La Voix de l'Est, got wet yesterday by saying that according to his sources, Geoff Molson would have met Patrick Roy recently and that he could become the next general manager of the Habs.

What do you guys think? Is Roy a good fit for this role? Someone else would be better? Discuss.

I think Roy is too impulsive for the job. Chantal Machabée mentionned at TLMEP that Martin Madden would be his candidate, but everyone will speculate untill its officially done.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Sources told him they met last spring...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think it's a disaster if true.

Not that Bergevin is leaving, but that Roy could be his replacement. A potentially Rejean Houle-level blunder.
Indeed Roy would be no better. His ego is even bigger than Bergevin's. They have to stop locking themselves in this franco box and open up to looking at everyone no matter the language they speak.

I think Roy is too impulsive for the job. Chantal Machabée mentionned at TLMEP that Martin Madden would be his candidate, but everyone will speculate untill its officially done.

Ya that's what they need, a guy that in all these years has never become a GM and has no experience at any level in the position.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Meh Bergevin is a big failure for this org for a whole decade.
Him leaving his pretty obvious at this point , We all know it screams Patrick Roy coming as the next GM.

He might be impulsive and ''not better'' but if he fires Timmins and start rebuilding and build a f***ing defense and re-vamp the entire drafting and dev of rookies ill give him a shot.

The house needs a big cleaning. Bergevin can't clean his own shit that's obvious at this point.

Also saying Roy has no experience is a bit dumb , he's been managing the remparts for a while now. Atleast he didnt hire 40 persons (Bozovin) to take dumb decisions.

We'll see , They are better candidates for sure but as long it'S not Darche or Damphousse , it's an upgrade to Bergevin washed up vision.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Patrick hates losing. Bergevin removed that “no excuses” sign pretty quickly.

Patrick has a huge ego but guys loved playing for him. Bergevin has a huge ego, and most guys don’t like his negotiating style. Other than the ones he likes.

Patrick has won at every level as a player and a manager. Bergevin has not, and continues to fail his way into minor successes.

Bergevin isn’t getting the job done. It’s painfully obvious is it not by this point? He’s pissed away every opportunity he’s had, and he’s had a ton, and the team is still without an identity. Some of it isn’t his fault, but most of it is…

Patrick is one of the few guys with the stones to actually burn down the old boys club that’s set up shop, he’s got the pedigree that keeps the media in check, he’s a Franco, and he loves (and thrives under) the spotlight. And whatever he does, you know he’d be entertaining at least.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Patrick has a huge ego but guys loved playing for him. Bergevin has a huge ego, and most guys don’t like his negotiating style. Other than the ones he likes.

Patrick has won at every level as a player and a manager. Bergevin has not, and continues to fail his way into minor successes.

Bergevin isn’t getting the job done. It’s painfully obvious is it not by this point? He’s pissed away every opportunity he’s had, and he’s had a ton, and the team is still without an identity. Some of it isn’t his fault, but most of it is…

Patrick is one of the few guys with the stones to actually burn down the old boys club that’s set up shop, he’s got the pedigree that keeps the media in check, he’s a Franco, and he loves (and thrives under) the spotlight. And whatever he does, you know he’d be entertaining at least.

Roy's stint in Colorado is not inspiring me confidence he can cut it at the NHL level.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Why don't we wait until Roy proves something with the Remparts before he is even in consideration for an NHL gig?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Let's go with Motherf***ing Patrick Roy!

At least it would be hilarious

8WEs.gif

Jxaweog.gif

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Roy's stint in Colorado is not inspiring me confidence he can cut it at the NHL level.
coaching and being a GM is not the same thing.
I can understand why he didnt like having a boss since he's his own boss with Remparts.

But if he gets the job as GM in Montreal Roy will have all the power he wants and will only need to focus to build the team instead of coaching and do all the rest.
But yeah Roy as a coach in the NHL was not a success but it was even wors from Wayne the great.

We'll see. Atleast we would have a winner at the top of the org instead of a guy building his team with scraps and ''grit''

Why don't we wait until Roy proves something with the Remparts before he is even in consideration for an NHL gig?

LHJMQ and the NHL are 2 complete different things lmao.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Wanted Gorton but i knew that wasn't realistic based on the language situation...

I'm ok with them taking their chances with Patrick...Can't be any worse than what's been going on with the team in recent years........Habs are in desperate desperate need of a new scouting and development department and philosophy....

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

Uh, he’s won a Memorial Cup? And his teams are annually league championship contenders, the teams he has put together.

He’s also won a Jack Adams at the NHL level.

Attachments

• 4ACD77C0-5994-4E72-85C3-E9257B12DCD7.jpeg
    4ACD77C0-5994-4E72-85C3-E9257B12DCD7.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 8

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Bad time of year to fire Bergs. Majority of top candidates are working elsewhere. Teams like Tamp a don't want to lose a Darche in mid season. Its different than in summer.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
No interest in having a lame duck GM when we've got a promising core and no clear direction. Bergevin should move out on a high note and let the next guy make the hard decisions.

Reactions: Tuggy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think it's a disaster if true.

Not that Bergevin is leaving, but that Roy could be his replacement. A potentially Rejean Houle-level blunder.

By all accounts, Rejean Houle is a very nice man in every day life. He just isn't a savy GM.

Roy is a bit of a prick in certain ways, but MAY be a very savy GM. Being a prick has one good thing about it: he does things his way, and isn't trying to make anybody happy. He would have a vision and stick to it. Now whether it's a good vision is obviously the key.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
I call this BS but If molson does this, he is dumber than dumb.
Because getting Patrick Roy instead of extending Bergevin due to all Price success was clearly a better idea.

Also it's known that Molson is a known idiot in the hockey sphere , proof he hasnt fired this clown after 10 years.

Anyways this org will always get french canadian candidates , might as well be him than Vincent Damphousse or freaking Mathieu Darche .

Reactions: Pickles and Maliki2

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Molson's an idiot for believing in MB and Timmins when Brisebois wanted to come here.
Man we missed a big boat on that one , still hurts.
I am not against Roy but I sure hope that if it's the case they will remove all the hockey ops, development & amateur scouting personnel.
I want a clean state with new idea.
You are 100% correct , Timmins needs to be fired and the entire development of scouting needs a new era. This is the first thing the new GM should do.

Reactions: Tolly80 and Maliki2

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Molson should drop the "just speak French" part.

I'm sure those who only speak French would prefer a team that wins over a team that had a French speaking GM and if it has both, then great.

Habs limit themselves. They've been with the current GM (and other staff) too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad