News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
thats what I wanted to say about the tank...

Bergevin signed Suzuki for top dollar #1 C money.. if we draft WRIGHT then we eventually have to pay HIM too... by the time we pay WRIGHT other money will be off the books like Drouin, savard, etc etc and younger players like brooks, Struble, Harris may be knocking on the door of top4 if they pan out..

fun times ahead?
He’s not signed for top dollar #1C.

Let’s say his new deal kicked in this year, he’d be 17th among Cs in the NHL.

Of course, we know his deal doesn’t kick in until NEXT season, at which point he’s probably going to be even lower on that scale and as the years pass by, and more #1Cs set new baselines in contract extensions and the cap eventually rises, his cap hit among his peers will be even lower in comparison.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He had 41pts in 56 games lol

Figure out how much that comes out to over 82 games.

Against Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa.

Do a poll and ask how many of those teams are considered top 10 Defense+Goalies.

I bet you the answer is overwhelmingly "None".

And the answer you're looking for is 60 points prorated.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Against Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa.

Do a poll and ask how many of those teams are considered top 10 Defense+Goalies.

I bet you the answer is overwhelmingly "None".

And the answer you're looking for is 60 points prorated.
He played the same schedule every player on this team played.

I think a more important factor was the insulation Danault’s line gave him, that seems like a a more important variable than a schedule he has no control over.

But either way, the point I was making with him was simply in response to that poster suggesting that if Suzuki would have gotten 50pts last year, his extension would have been justified.

All I did was point out that he had 41pts in 56 games. I wasn’t trying to frame those numbers as anything more than that.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
why don't you focus your attention on Gallagher and his big contract (the one that has actually started) instead

Gallagher has proven himself... unlike most of forwards, he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas... he's a tremendous competitor, a decent scorer and our best leader.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Gallagher has proven himself... unlike most of forwards, he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas... he's a tremendous competitor, a decent scorer and our best leader.
The arrow isn’t exact pointing up for Gallagher…you’re right, he proved himself and earned that contract.

But what’s the likelihood he justifies that deal, with 5 more years left after this one, vs Suzuki whose an ascending player (5 game sample from this season notwithstanding)?

Theres a lot of miles on Gallagher, a lot of hard hockey played and there’s really no other way he knows how to play.

I’m not a big fan of that deal myself, I think MB succumbed to emotions and sentimentality rather than rational decision making when it comes to Gallagher, but I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: JSR 56

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

1- I really like Gallagher, always have... predicted he'd be 30 goal scorer well before he got there and argued with many on this board about his qualities early in his career...

2- what he has done is completely inconsequential to wether or not he'll deliver at/above his cap cost in the future. If anything, given his age, injury history and style of game, that he "only" was a 30 goal/40pt producer in his prime years, doesn't bode well for his likelihood of delivering contributions on par with his cap hit (making him our highest paid forward this year, and highest paid winger nexxt year).

3- "leadership" is both an important quality, and one almost impossible to quantify... saying he is our "best" leader means absolutely nothing. Many posters are already attributing our early struggles to the fact that we lack leadership because they view Weber/Price/Edm being absent as creating a major leadership void. Gally is one hell of a competitor who certainly "leads by example" in terms of sacrifice on the ice... but from there to talk about him as the "best" leader? I just don't see it. I haven't come accross any evidence of his leadership in other domains, and while "by example" is important, effective leadership goes far beyond that. His emotional outbursts & intermission complaining about toronto (as much as i may agree with his sentiment) don't strike me as the "cool and controlled under duress" elements of leadership that are crucial for teams that are navigating a very difficult time...

so yeah... love gally the competitor, but completely disagree with your take if your suggesting that his performance right now is anything short of the most disappointing and problematic on our roster right now. Suzuki and his ELC deal don't even come close.

Reactions: amethyst and 417

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Our problem...is 80% of our fan base is totally cynical... whiny...a bunch of cry-babies!!
Maybe we could trade these cry-babies away to Arizona for draft picks...lol
Yes, that is why we cannot win, nothing to do with the team that has been assembled. Now that you point it out, it is like an ah ha moment for me. :thumbu:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Our problem...is 80% of our fan base is totally cynical... whiny...a bunch of cry-babies!!
Maybe we could trade these cry-babies away to Arizona for draft picks...lol

Who's the cry-baby, really?

Instead of recognizing that people are genuinely fed-up with a sub-par product, a team that has been mediocre with a ,500 record and not being able to win half their games in OVER 4 seasons and that their anger and cynicism is entirely justified, you misrepresent this as if nothing is going wrong with the Habs.

Whining about something while completely mischaracterizing it is not the mark of someone who is mature, which makes your crybaby comment entirely hypocritical.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Suzuki is literally the very least of our worries and quite possibly one of the only positives we have in the entire organisation going forward :laugh:

Agreed.

Last night I had some time so I tuned up on the end of Dallas-LA game, and most of the EDM-Vegas game... and my god was this hockey from all 4 of these teams. I understood then how deep in trouble we are with this team. And trouble is not called Suzuki.

I may spare myself the aggravation this season and watch hockey on other channels.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
This organization keeps finding new ways to embarrass itself. We have some of the deepest pockets in the NHL and can hire the best talent money can buy, and when we are talking about a new GM for the MONTREAL CANADIENS, people are considering options like Jocelyn Thibault and Mathieu Darche? Seriously? This is what we have come to?

Never been so embarrassed to be a fan. Does our fanbase in Quebec really not want to hire the best talent and put forward a winning team?

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
This organization keeps finding new ways to embarrass itself. We have some of the deepest pockets in the NHL and can hire the best talent money can buy, and when we are talking about a new GM for the MONTREAL CANADIENS, people are considering options like Jocelyn Thibault and Mathieu Darche? Seriously? This is what we have come to?

Never been so embarrassed to be a fan. Does our fanbase in Quebec really not want to hire the best talent and put forward a winning team?

We don't know if Bergevin is coming back or not. We don't know the real candidates for his succession yet. But the conclusion is set in stone, you are embarrassed. Let's wait and see what will really happen before jumping the gun.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MB wants out guys..........he doesn't know what to do.....he is exhausted, and just seems to lack the vision to move a team forward...
Think about this for a minute............3 years no playoffs, then two terrible seasons, which produced covid playoffs, we would not have made it without Covid...let that sink in......................and now THIS debacle of a start to the season.

MB's ticket, is, and was Price. Every guy or gal on this board could have run the habs over the years, as long as Price was healthy.....I know that's an exaggeration, but somewhat true....
MB will be known as the guy who inherited a 24 yr old Price............and sat on it...
Yes, he did a few good things, but...........not maximizing Price's best years, will be on his shoulders...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

It would seem they don't..........sad.
Time will tell......
Pro-sports-Business, Culture and Politics......all wrapped up in one....it's such a huge disadvantage.

Reactions: austin316

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
It would seem they don't..........sad.
Time will tell......
Pro-sports-Business, Culture and Politics......all wrapped up in one....it's such a huge disadvantage.

The problem I have is that I imagine if you polled our fanbase in Quebec, the majority of true fans couldn't care less whether our GM/coach is Anglophone or Francophone. Why are we letting the few extremists in the politicians and media control this narrative?

Ultimately this falls on our owner. Molson needs to take a stand and change direction or nothing will change.

Reactions: amethyst and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The problem I have is that I imagine if you polled our fanbase in Quebec, the majority of true fans couldn't care less whether our GM/coach is Anglophone or Francophone. Why are we letting the few extremists in the politicians and media control this narrative?

Ultimately this falls on our owner. Molson needs to take a stand and change direction or nothing will change.
Mol$on showed his true colours, when he apologized to those turds for his GM hiring god forbid an anglo coach....
Mol$on................IS the problem.
I hope he grows a set, but not holding my breath...

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Here we go boys it's the fans fault ! If only 80% of us would blindly support management like sheep and agree with every move we would have a cup!

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Sports and politics do not mix. Those that do are doomed to loser status. If every member of the Habs was french speaking yet 0-82 would you be happy? If there were no french speaking members at all yet are perennial winners who would be sad?

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007

When yzerman left Tampa bay did their owner declare that they would only hire a new gm that came from Florida because only such a person could possible understand the requirements of that market?

No they hired the best GM available. That guy was from quebec but that had zero impact.

So when it's our time to hire a new gm and the best guy us from Florida we will not even give him an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad