News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Buddy...we need to do a much better job scouting in our backyard!!!
Using this logic…should the Leafs hold a referendum because they didn’t draft Suzuki out of their own backyard and instead drafted Liljegren instead?

Come on man….it’s 2021, there’s 32 NHL teams now.

Who still thinks geography gives any advantage to any team.

Are you the ghost of Claude Ruel? Lol

Reactions: habdynasty

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This last NHL draft, we should have moved up and drafted Zachary L'Heureux who played for Halifax in the Q... instead we drafted a problem child like Logan Mailloux....a marketing disaster!!

The top two scorers ATM in the Q are guys the Habs drafted in 2021. Also, who gives a **** about the marketing issues with drafting Malloux, the reason not to draft him wasn't PR, it was his reprehensible behaviour, his request not to be drafted and the lost playing time.

The Habs issue isn't not drafting from the Q, its how they scout prospects and what they value.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Big difference between GM in the Q and GM in the NHL.
Agree fully , but at this stage , mb has a problem building a consistant winning team . So it’s time to take a chance , either succeed or suck badly . and finally get someone that hates losing . Not one that remove the no excuses sign

Reactions: Mr Mom

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Using this logic…should the Leafs hold a referendum because they didn’t draft Suzuki out of their own backyard and instead drafted Liljegren instead?

Come on man….it’s 2021, there’s 32 NHL teams now.

Who still thinks geography gives any advantage to any team.

Are you the ghost of Claude Ruel? Lol

Hey man... study the history of the Habs... you might actually see the light.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hey man... study the history of the Habs... you might actually see the light.
Well aware of the history…I’m just not naïve enough to think there’s any correlation between language and performance.

I think it’s important that the Montreal Canadiens recognize the portion of their fan base that is francophone as well as respect the province in which they play in.

But I also believe it shouldn’t lead their decision making.

Reactions: Mr Mom

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I beg to be different...Roy brings passion to the organization...he is a winner...he won as player...he won as a coach...and won as a GM!!!
And yes...he has years of experience scouting and coaching young guys.

His years coaching the Avs werent easy, he and Sakic werent on the same page and I recall him pulling his goaltender a couple of times half in the third period to get the next goal... :laugh:

Joke aside, maybe he would do a good job, I justed pointed out his impulsivity and Im not sure thats something good for a such role.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He had 41pts in 56 games lol

Figure out how much that comes out to over 82 games.

Math not my strength, but pretty sure he manages to put up 9 more points in 26 more games.

Wishful thinking? Every freaking contract ever signed is wishhul thinking lol
I do think we overpaid a bit for Suzuki, but I also get that at that time, if we thought Suzuki would put up 70 points playing with Caufield and Toffoli, he'd likely ask for 8+.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I do think we overpaid a bit for Suzuki, but I also get that at that time, if we thought Suzuki would put up 70 points playing with Caufield and Toffoli, he'd likely ask for 8+.
Of course they overpaid for him a bit…they bought 4 years of what is likely to be his most productive years.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Of course they overpaid for him a bit…they bought 4 years of what is likely to be his most productive years.

Suzuki is probably a second line centreman... unproven as a first line centreman... though is still young.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Ok so you don't think Suzuki is going to be a #1C...that's fine.

I mean, there are a NUMBER of examples I can use but let's just use the most recent one.

Brady Tkachuk

This is disingenuous.

Suzuk had 41pts in his rookie season...he also had 41pts in his sophomore season, in 56 games.

By the time his new contract kicks in, he'll have have 3 pro seasons under his belt, although 2 of them were shortened due to COVID.

Judge this deal in 2-3 years from now.

It's not designed to pay dividends now.

I don't know if Suzuki is going to be a #1 C....difference.
You don't either cause he ain't one now.

I can say he's a top 6 center, that we can say. That has been proven for me.
We can't even really say if he's going to be a good one, a great one....If he's 1st line, is he 1st or 2nd tier in the NHL,?
Will he be finally able to take some faceoffs?

Domi had a 70 points season for us, everybody thought we had found our 1st line center and Domi was playing as 4th line center for a part of last year with Columbus.

Brady Tkachuk
22 goals 1st season
21 goals 2nd season
17 goals 3nd season in 56 games

I think it's safe to say you're signing a guaranteed 20+ goals scorer. That's proven. With the potential to put more.
Don't get me wrong, I like Suzuki, but for now I can say he's a guaranteed top 6 center, but I can't say he's definetely a 1st line center.

And don't forget....Tkachuk fought tooth and nail to get that deal, even missed a couple of game.
Bergevin had absolutely zero pressure to sign Suzuki, absolutely none.

Let's say Suzuki put up a season of 67 points this season.....at the end of it, do you think he's now worth more than the 7.8M he got? But let's say he end up with 49 points....do you still think he's worth 7.8M?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Suzuki is probably a second line centreman... unproven as a first line centreman... though is still young.
The label matters little to me…

It’s an 8yr deal that hasn’t even kicked in yet.

It’s not designed for him to prove he’s a #1 right now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know if Suzuki is going to be a #1 C....difference.
You don't either cause he ain't one now.
Correct, no one knows…therein lies the risk, unfortunately, NHL deals most often are built on projection.

I can say he's a top 6 center, that we can say. That has been proven for me.
We can't even really say if he's going to be a good one, a great one....If he's 1st line, is he 1st or 2nd tier in the NHL,?
Will he be finally able to take some faceoffs?
That remains to be seen but again, this is irrelevant to what we’ve been discussing.

The structure of his deal is fair and on par with what his peers who have signed for long term, have received.

The market determines the value…not what you or I label players as being.

#1C or top 6C

Doesn’t matter

Domi had a 70 points season for us, everybody thought we had found our 1st line center and Domi was playing as 4th line center for a part of last year with Columbus.
What’s Domi got to do with anything?

Brady Tkachuk
22 goals 1st season
21 goals 2nd season
17 goals 3nd season in 56 games

I think it's safe to say you're signing a guaranteed 20+ goals scorer. That's proven. With the potential to put more.
Don't get me wrong, I like Suzuki, but for now I can say he's a guaranteed top 6 center, but I can't say he's definetely a 1st line center.

And don't forget....Tkachuk fought tooth and nail to get that deal, even missed a couple of game.
Bergevin had absolutely zero pressure to sign Suzuki, absolutely none.
I don’t have a problem with the Tkachuk deal…he got market value over 7yrs.

This salary scale structure is already well established.

Let's say Suzuki put up a season of 67 points this season.....at the end of it, do you think he's now worth more than the 7.8M he got? But let's say he end up with 49 points....do you still think he's worth 7.8M?
once again…the contract that Nick Suzuki signed will never be justified or evaluated based on what he does this year.

It is completely irrelevant…he’s still on his rookie deal, his extension doesn’t kick in until NEXT year lol.

Whether he ends up with 49pts or 67pts doesn’t matter this year, as it relates to the extension he signed.

We will only be able to tell whether this was a smart deal in 3-4 years from now.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
The label matters little to me…

It’s an 8yr deal that hasn’t even kicked in yet.

It’s not designed for him to prove he’s a #1 right now.

We should have waited a bit before signing Suzuki to a long-term contract...in order for him to prove his true worth.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We should have waited a bit before signing Suzuki to a long-term contract...in order for him to prove his true worth.
Sure..:but you’re only saying that cause the team and him have gotten off to a shitty start.

Would you feel the same if he had 6pts in 5 games and the Habs were 4-1?

either way, he’s not going to earn that entire contract this season…stop worrying so much about it now.

it’s an 8yr deal that hasn’t even kicked in yet lol

My gosh

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All I read during the playoffs last year and all off-season was

“MB better sign Suzuki to a long term deal asap”

He gets off to a slow start and now the narrative changes lol

next time he goes on a point streak we’ll be pencilling him into our team Canada lineups lol

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Sure..:but you’re only saying that cause the team and him have gotten off to a shitty start.

Would you feel the same if he had 6pts in 5 games and the Habs were 4-1?

either way, he’s not going to earn that entire contract this season…stop worrying so much about it now.

it’s an 8yr deal that hasn’t even kicked in yet lol

My gosh

Yes...he has gotten off to a slow start...he has been pretty invisible on the ice...very disappointing....a non-factor.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I just hope Price doesn’t come back any time soon. He’s been saving countless jobs for almost 2 decades. It’s time to expose the incompetence.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Yes... let's miss the playoffs...and hopefully, we can become lucky enough to draft a first line centreman like Shane Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark