Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
:laugh: no kidding.

To be honest, I expect us to win vs the Pens just to screw up our draft position and then get knocked out on the next round. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse...
There is very little possibility of that happening against Sid, I am expecting very very tight officiating when the league comes back, number 87 will have a field day against our D, it won't be pretty.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What do you want him to say? We suck and no have no chance?
He can just start by not repeating the same garbage all the time.
The hell is the point of hiring a french speaking GM if he just repeats himself? No joke, pretty much every fan here could have written on a piece of paper what he was going to say, almost word-for-word, before the conference started.

He can stop with the generic crap and discuss what the reality of confinement was for the team, did they keep in touch with the players regularly? Were the training staff doing online training with them? Or at least given a certain protocol to stay fit? etc...
Talk man...like you're a f***ing normal human being with rational thinking...not some robotic dumb ass GM responding every question with a saying or BS line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He can just start by not repeating the same garbage all the time.
The hell is the point of hiring a french speaking GM if he just repeats himself? No joke, pretty much every fan here could have written on a piece of paper what he was going to say, almost word-for-word, before the conference started.

He can stop with the generic crap and discuss what the reality of confinement was for the team, did they keep in touch with the players regularly? Were the training staff doing online training with them? Or at least given a certain protocol to stay fit? etc...
Talk man...like you're a f***ing normal human being with rational thinking...not some robotic dumb ass GM responding every question with a saying or BS line.

He is who he is... Don't think he will change that much. I really don't care about how he delivers his message to the media. Means nothing to me as a Fan. What he does with his 2 years left in term matters more and my eyes are on what moves he makes to try and save his job.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He is who he is... Don't think he will change that much. I really don't care about how he delivers his message to the media. Means nothing to me as a Fan. What he does with his 2 years left in term matters more and my eyes are on what moves he makes to try and save his job.

Well that's fine, but then don't ask be surprised others are telling him off and calling him a moron with his BS quotes.

You should care about the message he's delivering in the press though. It gives you a pretty good indication on the psyche of the man and his abilities.
We're not talking about a guy who's camera shy and has a problem delivering his message here. The guy sounds like a moron, one that doesn't seem to have much plan or vision.
Guess what? That's what his moves as a GM behind the camera reflect too. So....maybe you should care about how he delivers his message, it's been a good representation of the catastrophe he's been as a GM.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well that's fine, but then don't ask be surprised others are telling him off and calling him a moron with his BS quotes.

You should care about the message he's delivering in the press though. It gives you a pretty good indication on the psyche of the man and his abilities.
We're not talking about a guy who's camera shy and has a problem delivering his message here. The guy sounds like a moron, one that doesn't seem to have much plan or vision.
Guess what? That's what his moves as a GM behind the camera reflect too. So....maybe you should care about how he delivers his message, it's been a good representation of the catastrophe he's been as a GM.

I don't consider him a top 10 NHL GM. More like middle of the pack. You probably think bottom 5. Like I said, I want to know the replacement before I would fire him. Last thing I want is another guy learning on the Job.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't consider him a top 10 NHL GM. More like middle of the pack. You probably think bottom 5. Like I said, I want to know the replacement before I would fire him. Last thing I want is another guy learning on the Job.

I honestly do not know where he ranks among his peers. I would have to look at what others have done in much more details. All I know for sure is he's been here for 8 years and it's a big failure. Whether that puts him in the bottom 5, the worst, 13th or 19th....all irrelevant.

Ideally not a green GM, I agree, but I'm not closing the door to anybody outside NHL experience. I just need someone with a clear vision and innovation, if the best pitch comes from an AHL GM...so be it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I honestly do not know where he ranks among his peers. I would have to look at what others have done in much more details. All I know for sure is he's been here for 8 years and it's a big failure.

Ideally not a green GM, I agree, but I'm not closing the door to anybody outside NHL experience. I just need someone with a clear vision and innovation, if the best pitch comes from an AHL GM...so be it.

I think the first few years were solid, middle ranges were horrible, and I think he has done better in the last few. Stock piling picks and not mortgaging the future for short term gains is a positive with me.

Do I want us to be a better team with less flaws? Yes, absolutely. I just am not sure if I want to go with another GM who learns on the job all over again. 2 more years of Bergevin... I'm willing to ride that out unless someone like Yzerman becomes available

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think the first few years were solid, middle ranges were horrible, and I think he has done better in the last few. Stock piling picks and not mortgaging the future for short term gains is a positive with me.

Do I want us to be a better team with less flaws? Yes, absolutely. I just am not sure if I want to go with another GM who learns on the job all over again. 2 more years of Bergevin... I'm willing to ride that out unless someone like Yzerman becomes available

I don't see the logic in keeping a failure on board just because you're worried whoever's next might not also work. It's such an illogical approach to running a business. You will never know if the next guy in line is going to be a success story...it's unfortunate, but we can't see into the future.

Stock piling picks is good, sure. Bergevin also made some good trades too. That's neither here nor there anymore because building a strong team requires way more and clearly, Bergevin lacks this ability.
Get him the f*** out of here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see the logic in keeping a failure on board just because you're worried whoever's next might not also work. It's such an illogical approach to running a business. You will never know if the next guy in line is going to be a success story...it's unfortunate, but we can't see into the future.

Stock piling picks is good, sure. Bergevin also made some good trades too. That's neither here nor there anymore because building a strong team requires way more and clearly, Bergevin lacks this ability.
Get him the f*** out of here.

In your shoes, he is a failure so it would be reasonable to not see the logic to keep him. In my shoes, he's has not been a failure or a success. I am not a fan of recycling GM's every 5 years so giving him 10 years (end of his current term) in total and 2 more to go? I'm content and I do believe he has learned a lot in 8 years. But like I said, I am always looking to capitalize on when opportunity presents itself. I would have went hard at Yzerman... probably still says no but that's the strategy I would have.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Okay, if there is one blessing in disguise from all this, it is possibly this:

"It would also present Bergevin with an opportunity to put his entire team to the test in a meaningful situation. He’s repeated on several occasions that certain players get you to the playoffs, while others get you through the playoffs, but unfortunately, his team has fallen short in the last few years. It’s an underserved, unprecedented and completely uncanny way of going about it, but it presents a unique opportunity for a team that’s struggling with its identity. If they truly are built for a playoff run, they will finally have their chance to prove it. Alternatively, a decisive loss could finally help convince Bergevin that Stanley Cup windows are, in fact, a thing and he needs to focus on a proper rebuild rather which involves liquidating his aging stars."

If the Canadiens get embarassed badly, while a healthy team, will MB have the wisdom of doing a proper rebuild or will he simply attribute it to the wild circumstances (long layoffs, lack of training for players during the COVID, lack of fans (LOL)).

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In your shoes, he is a failure so it would be reasonable to not see the logic to keep him. In my shoes, he's has not been a failure or a success. I am not a fan of recycling GM's every 5 years so giving him 10 years (end of his current term) in total and 2 more to go? I'm content and I do believe he has learned a lot in 8 years. But like I said, I am always looking to capitalize on when opportunity presents itself. I would have went hard at Yzerman... probably still says no but that's the strategy I would have.

Again, I don't see the logic in sticking with someone who's repeatedly fail, who was going to lead us to missing the POs 4/5 years tying the worst GM in our history, making us a team who hasn't won a single PO round in 5 years, a first in our 100+ years of history....and you still can't qualify this as a failure.
It's mind numbing.
Basically you need him to blow up pretty much the entire team to finally admit he's been a failure. It is a ridiculously low bar of standard set for such an exclusive and elite executive role. It's unacceptable.

Let me ask you this, honestly, go back 8 years and say Bergevin was hired as the president and his GM did exactly the same thing Bergevin has done, do you think he would have fired him by now? I 100% think Bergevin the President would have fired anybody with the track record he's provided over the past 8 years.
For the record, this isn't an opinion shared only by Bergy haters, most analysts/commentators are baffled when discussing the Habs. They're all politically correct and conservative, none of them wish for anyone to be fired but you know they all think it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

How can he be middle of the pack when his team has regressed in those 8 years and aside from some miracle undeserved and unwarranted chance of entry, he's missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons. That's not middle of the pack, it's downright bottom of the barrel. Bottom 10 in win% over the last 5 years.

Bottom 10 in playoff appearances in the last 5 years
Bottom 10 in win% in the last 5 years.

But yeah, middle of the pack, right

Reactions: habsfan891

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Okay, if there is one blessing in disguise from all this, it is possibly this:

"It would also present Bergevin with an opportunity to put his entire team to the test in a meaningful situation. He’s repeated on several occasions that certain players get you to the playoffs, while others get you through the playoffs, but unfortunately, his team has fallen short in the last few years. It’s an underserved, unprecedented and completely uncanny way of going about it, but it presents a unique opportunity for a team that’s struggling with its identity. If they truly are built for a playoff run, they will finally have their chance to prove it. Alternatively, a decisive loss could finally help convince Bergevin that Stanley Cup windows are, in fact, a thing and he needs to focus on a proper rebuild rather which involves liquidating his aging stars."

If the Canadiens get embarassed badly, while a healthy team, will MB have the wisdom of doing a proper rebuild or will he simply attribute it to the wild circumstances (long layoffs, lack of training for players during the COVID, lack of fans (LOL)).

I just can't stop laughing

He'll peddle excuses, he'll captain obvious the silver lining of gaining experience. Domi couldnt this, Romanov couldnt that, blah blah blah. Same garbage verbiage. Same hybrid Scrooge-Magoo enabler over him.

But hey, can't blame you for hoping.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How can he be middle of the pack when his team has regressed in those 8 years and aside from some miracle undeserved and unwarranted chance of entry, he's missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons. That's not middle of the pack, it's downright bottom of the barrel. Bottom 10 in win% over the last 5 years.

Bottom 10 in playoff appearances in the last 5 years
Bottom 10 in win% in the last 5 years.

But yeah, middle of the pack, right

I think he was bottom 5 in the mid range of his 8 year tenure. Started well, then struggled, and I do believe he has rebounded. That Patch and Galcheyuk trades were unreal. Chiarot signing. Stock piling picks where we have one of the best prospect pools for a decade or two.

Today... I say average NHL GM and middle of the pack yes. Not bragging about it either. Just saying I don't believe he is as horrible as some think he is. I think he has learned on the job and is better today than he was 3 or 4 years ago

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
For those who can read french, it's an interesting read on how our development sucks for a while.

Un ancien expert du développement malmène le CH - TVA Sports

"
Là où le CH a échoué avec Michael McCarron, les Maple Leafs peuvent dire mission accomplie avec Frédérik Gauthier. Ce dernier se devait d’améliorer considérablement son coup de patin pour atteindre la LNH. Il a eu droit à plusieurs suivis avec l’ancienne championne mondiale de patinage artistique Barbara Underhill.
«Au lieu d’être quelqu’un qui joue dans la Ligue américaine, maintenant, c’est un joueur de centre défensif très potable dans la LNH. Ça a fait toute la différence pour lui», note Han. "

Ownage.

What do you think, @The Great Weise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad