Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Pretty sure the media will kiss kiss kiss, afterall the league just gave them what they wanted.

Check-les ben allez

Some of them want him to be gone as much as you and I do. I'm pretty sure it's actually most of them who do in fact.

Not sure what you read or watch, but they've been really hard on him recently.

Benoit Brunet's rant on l'Antichambre was great.

Anyways, media bashing is getting old, they aren't the problem here.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Some of them want him to be gone as much as you and I do. I'm pretty sure it's actually most of them who do in fact.

They are part of it. They were complacent for waaay too long

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

for those of us who don’t watch AC, what did he say exactly?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Be prepared... I think there is a good chance we trade this pick if there is a deal out there that makes our team better in the 2-4 year span. Bergevin's got 2 more years left in term and I do believe he will make moves if he feels the team is better in the Price/Weber window they have left. It all adds up people

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Be prepared... I think there is a good chance we trade this pick if there is a deal out there that makes our team better in the 2-4 year span. Bergevin's got 2 more years left in term and I do believe he will make moves if he feels the team is better in the Price/Weber window they have left. It all adds up people

The time has passed to take advantage of the Price/Weber window. He will lose any trade involving a top ten pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The time has passed to take advantage of the Price/Weber window. He will lose any trade involving a top ten pick.

I don't believe the time has passed... With Weber, it's 2-3 years. With Price, it's 4-6 years. Many players like these two have very good seasons in their 30's up to 36/37 ish. Not all are like Gomez

Loose any trade? Lets see what it is (if it happens) first. Depending on the return, I'm open to it for sure. I honestly don't see a star in the 8-16 range in this next draft. Maybe that Russian goalie

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't believe the time has passed... With Weber, it's 2-3 years. With Price, it's 4-6 years. Many players like these two have very good seasons in their 30's up to 36/37 ish. Not all are like Gomez

Loose any trade? Lets see what it is (if it happens) first. Depending on the return, I'm open to it for sure. I honestly don't see a star in the 8-16 range in this next draft. Maybe that Russian goalie

It's been years since these guys had a tremendous season indicative of their peak. Weber hasn't even been healthy and Price has struggled with health too.

That's only going to get worse as they get older.

Reactions: stanley25

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's been years since these guys had a tremendous season indicative of their peak. Weber hasn't even been healthy and Price has struggled with health too.

That's only going to get worse as they get older.

Price and Weber are not over the hill. More like on top of the hill and gradual movement down... like 2-3 years and 4-6 years like I said in the previous post. Team performance and flaws is likely influencing your opinion on them.

I expect modest decline but you are presenting major decline it appears. I expect us to add key younger players around them to make a better hockey team. I don't have the Habs as a doomed team core. I have the Habs with flaws to be worked out and they can be if the right circumstance comes along

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Price and Weber are not over the hill. More like on top of the hill and gradual movement down... like 2-3 years and 4-6 years like I said in the previous post. Team performance and flaws is likely influencing your opinion on them.

I expect modest decline but you are presenting major decline it appears. I expect us to add key younger players around them to make a better hockey team. I don't have the Habs as a doomed team core. I have the Habs with flaws to be worked out and they can be if the right circumstance comes along

I see a team that needs to invest in the Kotkaniemi/Suzuki core.. not a team that tries to force a Price/Weber core that hasn't had an elite season since Weber's first year.

They had their opportunity to buy the year Weber came over and only brought grinders in and lost in 6 because they couldn't buy a goal. It's been 5 years since then and we haven't made the play-offs since, including basement finishes yielded a should be top 8 pick this year, a top 3 pick in Kotkaniemi.

What do people say about Toronto? They missed their window when those stars went off their ELC's and got paid. We are going to run into the same situation only with Price/Weber, Petry/Tatar, Domi/Drouin, Gallagher/Danault eating up significant portions of the cap to give us performances that aren't good enough to make us a play-off team.

We know what this core can do and it's flounder and not make the play-offs. It's time to invest in the next wave and it starts with trading Petry/Tatar rather than extending them,

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see a team that needs to invest in the Kotkaniemi/Suzuki core.. not a team that tries to force a Price/Weber core that hasn't had an elite season since Weber's first year.

They had their opportunity to buy the year Weber came over and only brought grinders in and lost in 6 because they couldn't buy a goal. It's been 5 years since then and we haven't made the play-offs since, including basement finishes yielded a should be top 8 pick this year, a top 3 pick in Kotkaniemi.

What do people say about Toronto? They missed their window when those stars went off their ELC's and got paid. We are going to run into the same situation only with Price/Weber, Petry/Tatar, Domi/Drouin, Gallagher/Danault eating up significant portions of the cap to give us performances that aren't good enough to make us a play-off team.

We know what this core can do and it's flounder and not make the play-offs. It's time to invest in the next wave and it starts with trading Petry/Tatar rather than extending them,

You can still try to win with Weber/Price by addressing flaws we have today and Kotkaniemi/Suzui can be part of the core today and the future. I don't think it would be smart to try to move Price and Weber for $0.50 on the dollar and retain over that span of years. That has more risks than I would take. You move Weber today and we have retention still.

The time to move them is with less term left. Until then, we should try to move up in the standings with a few moves. Major question is will the right circumstance present itself. That's difficult to say but we have little choice but to try

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-5-25_12-12-28.png

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
:laugh:

ok chief, spin it that way if you wish

You're the one spinning it.

Montreal had more successful seasons with Subban than Weber. In those seasons, Subban was their best skater in both the regular seadon and play-offs.
Nashville had their stanley cup run with Subban, in which he received (the only Nashville player to do so) a Conn Smythe vote.

Weber has seen 2 play-off victories, (3) draft lotto seasons. Has been here for the historic 2 8 game losing streaks. The worst collapse in franchise history. The worst season in franchise history. Being the captain for all of that.

The Weber trade was billed as a win now move. They did not win now. In fact, they regressed.
On top of that, his leadership was supposed to be this big thing. Lot of good that leadership has done, what's the fruits of it? Continued uselessness.

The only thing we can say right now is that Weber has had better seasons in the last two years and neither of those seasons have given us anything close to the two runs Subban had in Nashville.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You're the one spinning it.

Montreal had more successful seasons with Subban than Weber. In those seasons, Subban was their best skater in both the regular seadon and play-offs.
Nashville had their stanley cup run with Subban, in which he received (the only Nashville player to do so) a Conn Smythe vote.

Weber has seen 2 play-off victories, (3) draft lotto seasons. Has been here for the historic 2 8 game losing streaks. The worst collapse in franchise history. The worst season in franchise history. Being the captain for all of that.

The Weber trade was billed as a win now move. They did not win now. In fact, they regressed.
On top of that, his leadership was supposed to be this big thing. Lot of good that leadership has done, what's the fruits of it? Continued uselessness.

The only thing we can say right now is that Weber has had better seasons in the last two years and neither of those seasons have given us anything close to the two runs Subban had in Nashville.
Who do you take right now, Subban or Weber? Who has more value right now?

Reactions: Habs Icing

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Right now, I would take Weber in a complete vacuum.

If I had to do the trade over again knowing everything I've known to this point, I would never ever pull the trigger on it. We lost the trade and there's no way to win it unless Weber leads us to the cup but he won't and all he will do is continue to lose value as a player and an asset while working with Price to buoy us out of range of being consistently bottom 5 in the league,

Reactions: calder candidate

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Probably Weber but what is the point of perceived value if the commander in chief has a hard on on him and will keep him no mater what until he is out of the league.

The habs are not contending and they are not a playoff team (although they will somehow make this patented ridiculous playoff format this year) the only thing we can wish from Weber is that he stay heathly, longer and he helps grooming the next wave of defenseman.

Reactions: habsfan891

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Right now, I would take Weber in a complete vacuum.

If I had to do the trade over again knowing everything I've known to this point, I would never ever pull the trigger on it. We lost the trade and there's no way to win it unless Weber leads us to the cup but he won't and all he will do is continue to lose value as a player and an asset while working with Price to buoy us out of range of being consistently bottom 5 in the league,
This doesn't make any sense. You are literally spinning things in order to maintain a negative view on them. Why are you doing this?

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He was just very upset with Bergevin after the trade deadline and basically called him out on all the troubles that's been happening with the Habs, especially with the prospects.
If I recall correctly he was also on him about the plan. There's no real direction, it's a circle of excuses keeping us in a perpetual state of mediocrity.
We want to build with prospects but we misuse them and we dont draft real high end guys, but we need them to win..so..not gonna happen via draft, let's go with signings...nope..not happening either. Trades? Well we dont want to give up the farm..so..not there either...

Just a mess and lack of vision.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad