HF Habs: Marc Bergevin & Carey Price Media Availability (11AM ET)

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
what is going on with this team? This is such a weird thing to do.

Single out a player by having a press conference the day after you fired a goalie coach?

Honestly, wtf is this?

To be fair in a way MB and the Habs do not deserve, they knew Price was going to be asked about it and probbaly wanted him to speak so it isn't the topic of conversation after a bad game or something.

Reactions: sj315

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
what is going on with this team? This is such a weird thing to do.

Single out a player by having a press conference the day after you fired a goalie coach?

Honestly, wtf is this?
This whole thing is a f***ing shit show, Price is struggling, we all know that, including Price. Why in gods name would you fire the goalie coach and then bring the goalie into a presser, one he seemed to have no interest being involved in. They didn't hash this out before the presser, like wtf. Why would you do this to a player struggling and seemingly lacking some confidence? This seems like he's shifting all the blame on Carey here imo. If you want to get him going I don't think this is the way to do it. I'll be the first to admit that Carey's play hasn't exactly been up to par, but wtf is this? This guy should be removed, no more decisions to fire anyone, he's the one that needs to go. Get this ass clown out of here before he does something really dumb.

Hopefully Danno and his gang of buddies go knocking on Molson's door next and say this asshat has to go.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
image.jpg

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Jul 6, 2016
Because laying it at the feet of the goalie is easier I guess.
Glad Price is getting pissed, he plays better when he gets pissed...

He's gonna play better ..... OR.... Demand a trade.

There was no point putting Price in the hot seat.

Ad we all thought we would have a quiet, easy going season in Montreal.... LOL !

Reactions: BLONG7

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I've been down on MB since maybe his second year, but he seems to be getting better and some of the guys we've had before were downright terrible. The drafting has gotten better, and the trades have mostly looked better in hindsight, at least excluding age/cap. Still issues with asset management and contracts but part of that is just Montreal, first the media freaks the player may leave and yells to have him retained, give him all the money, then they, more correctly, bitch about the cap.

I'm sure there are better GMs available than Bergevin but I don't trust the habs to hire one of them. I would like the habs to start grooming GM candidates again, Julien Brisebois is good, too bad they didn't give him the job at some point when he was available. Sure, they'll lose guys, and help other teams, but they need a pool of francophone candidates...

Reactions: MasterDecoy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He does become somewhat tradeable after July 1st, if the Canadiens want to do that. He gets an $11m signing bonus. His salary for next season is only $2m.

After that: $7,75m, $8,5m & 2 years at $7,5m.

Lower than his cap hit and much more in range of other #1 goalies.
Could entice teams who need a big cap hit on their team, but I'm not one to think Price would be tough to move. If made available, I think quite a few teams would happily bite.
There's Carolina too with over 7M in goalie salaries coming off.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Could entice teams who need a big cap hit on their team, but I'm not one to think Price would be tough to move. If made available, I think quite a few teams would happily bite.
I see 3 teams

Colorado (amazing offense , young d-core with full of talent)
Seattle Which in my opinion might struggle to get to the floor if they don't make trades like Vegas did.
Edmonton. I wouldn't mind taking Koskinen and Neal and a first pick + another anchor contract for 2 years and then re-build around something else.

But eh , if Bergevin gets canned wouldnt be surprised if Price and Weber are traded soon after

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be fair in a way MB and the Habs do not deserve, they knew Price was going to be asked about it and probbaly wanted him to speak so it isn't the topic of conversation after a bad game or something.
Ya, maybe that was their thinking, but it was a terrible idea. The optics are bad. Price probably also wanted nothing to do with this.
It was further weird when Bergevin said this has nothing to do with Price, he didn't ask him for his opinion or anything like that, he's the GM and he takes the decisions, he then informs the players...On that note...here's Price to answer about the firing!...:facepalm:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I see 3 teams

Seattle Which in my opinion might struggle to get to the floor if they don't make trades like Vegas did.
Edmonton. I wouldn't mind taking Koskinen and Neal and a first pick + another anchor contract for 2 years and then re-build around something else.

But eh , if Bergevin gets canned wouldnt be surprised if Price and Weber are traded soon after

If you can get that from Edmonton, you push Price out the door now.

Unless Price picks up his game until the end of the season, the best case is a 1 for 1 for Skinner and that's only if he continues to suck ass.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I see 3 teams

If Toronto doesn't come out of the North then I could see them as a suitors too with Andersen coming off the books.
Add Carolina too.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This whole thing is a f***ing shit show, Price is struggling, we all know that, including Price. Why in gods name would you fire the goalie coach and then bring the goalie into a presser, one he seemed to have no interest being involved in. They didn't hash this out before the presser, like wtf. Why would you do this to a player struggling and seemingly lacking some confidence? This seems like he's shifting all the blame on Carey here imo. If you want to get him going I don't think this is the way to do it. I'll be the first to admit that Carey's play hasn't exactly been up to par, but wtf is this? This guy should be removed, no more decisions to fire anyone, he's the one that needs to go. Get this ass clown out of here before he does something really dumb.

Hopefully Danno and his gang of buddies go knocking on Molson's door next and say this asshat has to go.

You’re asking the real questions. You have a struggling player whose facing extreme heat and you throw him to media that has been all over him for what reason? It might be one of the dumbest things I’ve seen from Bergevin so far in a long list. What we’re witnessing is a GM whose dying in front of our eyes and digging the grave deeper before his inevitable departure.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018

My take on this is that MB has tolerated a couple of his veterans who were playing divas for years blaming him and his inability to put a contender team together, and now he is putting his foot down and slamming the door in their face.

He never mentionned names, but we can all guess who they are. Price and Weber have always been very opened about saying that they are getting older and want a real shot at the cup. Well that's the thing now. Enough is enough. MB put together what everyone agrees is a top tier team, and the team is sinking because Price is not pulling his weight with his mammoth contract.

Like George Costenza would say, MB had no hands before, but now he got hands. He completely reversed the table. This is basically giving Price the finger and sending the pressure back to him. Veterans had approached MB to get rid of Clod, well he did the same to him and kicked out his precious little mentor.

You can no longer blame the coach, nor Waite, nor MB, nor the new players, nor the depths. All the spotlight is back on the veterans, and I bet MB is smiling in his office.

That's like me unplugging and hiding the wifi router until my teenage son mow the lawn. Playtime is over.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
My take on this is that MB has tolerated a couple of his veterans who were playing divas for years blaming him and his inability to put a contender team together, and now he is putting his foot down and slamming the door in their face.

He never mentionned names, but we can all guess who they are. Price and Weber have always been very opened about saying that they are getting older and want a real shot at the cup. Well that's the thing now. Enough is enough. MB put together what everyone agrees is a top tier team, and the team is sinking because Price is not pulling his weight with his mammoth contract.

Like George Costenza would say, MB had no hands before, but now he got hands. He completely reversed the table. This is basically giving Price the finger and sending the pressure back to him. Veterans had approached MB to get rid of Clod, well he did the same to him and kicked out his precious little mentor.

You can no longer blame the coach, nor Waite, nor MB, nor the new players, nor the depths. All the spotlight is back on the veterans, and I bet MB is smiling in his office.

That's like me unplugging and hiding the wifi router until my teenage son mow the lawn. Playtime is over.

This interpretation is spellbindingly sympathetic to MB.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I can assure you MB is not “smiling.” He gave the contract to Price, and brought in the other “veteran” in Weber. It’s his fault for expecting these guys to play like their at the peak of their careers in their mid 30’s. “Everyone agrees he put together a top tier team.” What world are you living in?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The crazy thing is, is if price was playing even decent hockey and had his sv% in the 910 range, he’d be allowing a goal less a game = huge. Habs would then be like 12-4-5 ...and there’d be no discussion. Of course Bergevin is to blame for that contract and for building a team around a goalie and painting himself into a corner, but Carey hasn’t been remotely consistent in 3 years. This is Bergevin’s shock treatment - and knowledge he’s next on block if they don’t win a round or two. Bergevin has history of correcting some of his problems. Let’s all hope Carey gets hot so Marc comes to his senses and somehow deals him in the summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad