HF Habs: Marc Bergevin & Carey Price Media Availability (11AM ET)

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Always wondered why one needed a coach to tell them what is obvious to pretty much everyone else.

Standing on your feet is not more obvious. I hope Burke doesn't encourage that. Picking corners top shelf is tougher for shooters that along the ice. It's all about percentages. There's a reason there aren't any stand up goalies anymore, but I wouldn't classify Burke as one either, more of Hybrid.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I thought he sounded like he has lost interest in bullshit.

I’d also wager that he had no interest in doing that presser today.

Unless I was in a particularly snarky mood I wouldn't be chomping to get in front of the microphone so people can pick apart every single word and analyze it to the nth degree etc.

Its a clown show, thus it wouldn't be worth the time.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think MB was trying to cover for Carey here in saying that Price wasn't consulted etc, still very dumb to include Price in this presser if Price is going to say, hmm, I don't care. You'd think they would brief him prior to.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Still....he needs to care. He’s giving out the impression that he doesn’t care, that is the perception, he needs to change that image, needs to show his fans that ya, it does bother me that you think that because I do care.

And his answers are all very snarky and quick....I don’t like that either. You want to get paid like a star, that’s fine, but there’s also a responsibility to talk to the public without sounding so annoyed.

Anyways, I hope they can figure it out
You can be an ass if you're playing well, Carey Price doesn't have that luxury now... That's something he doesn't seen to quite grasp...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You can be an ass if you're playing well, Carey Price doesn't have that luxury now... That's something he doesn't seen to quite grasp...

Oh give me a break.

The medias are hiding behind us, thinking they are representing us and they don't. They represent themselves.
I'm sure with a fan, one on one, Price wouldn't be talking that way or acting that way, but he's not with the fans, he's talking to the same journalist who has the right to publicly trash him 15 minutes earlier and now he has to be nice to them and can't say anything bad to them.

With all the crap over the years he had to endure by those same two face journalist, how many time do you think he wanted to say something like this to them (And this would include a lot more player than just Price actually)

Reactions: Redux91

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Unless I was in a particularly snarky mood I wouldn't be chomping to get in front of the microphone so people can pick apart every single word and analyze it to the nth degree etc.

Its a clown show, thus it wouldn't be worth the time.

Within 10 minutes of that being over he did “can you f-ing believe this” on at least one group chat.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think MB was trying to cover for Carey here in saying that Price wasn't consulted etc, still very dumb to include Price in this presser if Price is going to say, hmm, I don't care. You'd think they would brief him prior to.

I thought it was a dumb comment by MB to say "hey, I'm not asking for a player to tell me what to do". He is missing the point, which was, "did you have a discussion with Carey about what may be going wrong in his play, how can he improve it, and does he need help, like a different point of view maybe?" Price may have said that Waite and him has tried every tricks in the book in 7 years and he may need new advice. He actually implied this in his presser, that thing evolved over the years to get to the actual situation.

This is not asking a player for what he should do.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
His body language on the ice often gives that impression too so I don’t know.
Would you rather he flip out at every single loss like Rask has or how Binnington did the other day?

Price just isn't like that. His personality seems to be pretty easy-going. It doesn't mean he doesn't care just because he isn't throwing a fit.

Reactions: donghabs98

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

So what specifically does that mean? A bunch of clueless people on the internet are going to rally around to change his behaviour to his expectations?

I’m thinking that at this stage of his career, poor play and all, Price has a firm grasp of his situation.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Came here hoping to see Price say he's content with himself playing like garbage. Was disappointed ☹️

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Here is what I retained from his presser today.

baff6382-8f8c-4067-bb87-788e3067b0ed
upload_2021-3-3_12-28-28.png

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Would you rather he flip out at every single loss like Rask has or how Binnington did the other day?

Price just isn't like that. His personality seems to be pretty easy-going. It doesn't mean he doesn't care just because he isn't throwing a fit.

When I played sports I found that often as not, still waters ran deep. Some fiery guys were just show offs, and some of the less demonstrative ones were burning inside.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The media in Montreal is pretty depressing. It's not that much better elsewhere, say Toronto where there is at least a little more humor, but it's really bad here.

The Gazette is weak now, no money, more Toronto sportswriters than Montreal, owned by CanWest "kill medicare and just give us the money" Global, the TSN of newspapers. The CBC is out of the picture now and the English TV media concentrates on Toronto with occasional time for the western teams. Makes sense, most of us watch games in French, anyway.

The French media varies but the talking heads on TV are mostly guys with axes to grind. Guys who want jobs, guys who resent being fired years ago, guys who were associated with their main rival. A lot of pretty bitter people happy to flame everyone involved. It matters as it both stops people from wanting to come here and makes it worse when things aren't going well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Oh give me a break.

The medias are hiding behind us, thinking they are representing us and they don't. They represent themselves.
I'm sure with a fan, one on one, Price wouldn't be talking that way or acting that way, but he's not with the fans, he's talking to the same journalist who has the right to publicly trash him 15 minutes earlier and now he has to be nice to them and can't say anything bad to them.

With all the crap over the years he had to endure by those same two face journalist, how many time do you think he wanted to say something like this to them (And this would include a lot more player than just Price actually)

I was just thinking about that flyers press conference as I was scrolling down to read your post and voila!that was fu@#$cking awesome.treat them like the weasel's they are.:laugh:

Reactions: Milhouse40

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I thought it was a dumb comment by MB to say "hey, I'm not asking for a player to tell me what to do". He is missing the point, which was, "did you have a discussion with Carey about what may be going wrong in his play, how can he improve it, and does he need help, like a different point of view maybe?" Price may have said that Waite and him has tried every tricks in the book in 7 years and he may need new advice. He actually implied this in his presser, that thing evolved over the years to get to the actual situation.

This is not asking a player for what he should do.

Yeah, I really don't get it. He's trying to say he's the one in charge and Carey didn't ask for Waite to be dismissed, fair enough, but I want my GM to go to the player that is impacted by this decision the most and see what he thinks. This "the day I do that I don't deserve my job" comments misses the forest for the trees imo. I didn't watch the presser, but it seems like MB is missing the point here from the quotes I've seen. If you don't consult the one or 2 players impacted by the decision you are making then I see that as a failure in leadership.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
what is going on with this team? This is such a weird thing to do.

Single out a player by having a press conference the day after you fired a goalie coach?

Honestly, wtf is this?
It's a GM showing he will do anything to win and having a presser to showcase it.Desperate at best

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, I really don't get it. He's trying to say he's the one in charge and Carey didn't ask for Waite to be dismissed, fair enough, but I want my GM to go to the player that is impacted by this decision the most and see what he thinks. This "the day I do that I don't deserve my job" comments misses the forest for the trees imo. I didn't watch the presser, but it seems like MB is missing the point here from the quotes I've seen. If you don't consult the one or 2 players impacted by the decision you are making then I see that as a failure in leadership.

abnormal behavior from a competent GM... for MB? Par for the course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad