HF Habs: Marc Bergevin & Carey Price Media Availability (11AM ET)

Capz

Jul 1, 2019
If Toronto doesn't come out of the North then I could see them as a suitors too with Andersen coming off the books.
Add Carolina too.
I wouldn't want to see price in Toronto but I see what you're saying.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Oh give me a break.

The medias are hiding behind us, thinking they are representing us and they don't. They represent themselves.
I'm sure with a fan, one on one, Price wouldn't be talking that way or acting that way, but he's not with the fans, he's talking to the same journalist who has the right to publicly trash him 15 minutes earlier and now he has to be nice to them and can't say anything bad to them.

With all the crap over the years he had to endure by those same two face journalist, how many time do you think he wanted to say something like this to them (And this would include a lot more player than just Price actually)

It's part of his f***ing job, it's in his contract... What would happen if you wouldn't do what's required of your contract at your job ?

Carey Price and other professional athletes should thank their lucky star every single day that they are able to play a sport, being paid millions while having to go in front of the camera once in a f***ing while... You, give me a break, boo f***ing hoo.

Is this real...

Reactions: Magic Stick

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
This is the vibe of a team that's about to blow up, and not in a good way. I expect Bergevin and the entire FO to be cleaned out by the start of the next season, barring a miraculous playoff run.

Complacent vets, weak character, no bounce back, org on the defensive, new coaches, horrible salary structure... Yeah, this core is done IMO.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's part of his f***ing job, it's in his contract... What would happen if you wouldn't do what's required of your contract at your job ?

Carey Price and other professional athletes should thank their lucky star every single day that they are able to play a sport, being paid millions while having to go in front of the camera once in a f***ing while... You, give me a break, boo f***ing hoo.

Is this real...

It’s one thing for athlete's to go in front of a camera. Our players have to do it more then 95% of the league. It wasn’t necessary in this case. There was nothing to gain from it and that’s when you get hacks like Engel’s asking questions trying to provoke reactions from them. Good GM’s and coaches are always trying to protect their players. This was the complete opposite.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The question wasn't if he cares or doesn't care. The question was about the perception amongst fans and media that he doesn't care.

Was that a question ? If so, what a dumb f***ing question.

I don't care what he thinks about the perception. I care about what he thinks about his shit performance since his deal, why that is and what he's going to do about it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Was that a question ? If so, what a dumb f***ing question.

I don't care what he thinks about the perception. I care about what he thinks about his shit performance since his deal, why that is and what he's going to do about it.

Yea, Engels asked what he has to say to fans and media who have the perception that he doesn't care. To which Price answered "It doesn't matter to me anymore."

And not long after, Engels tweeted that he asked Price that question today because he wrote an article about it in 2018.

Reactions: dinodebino

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I sincerely and genuinely think Price is not finished. I believe he can have the late resurgence that Marc Andre Fleury has enjoyed in his time with Vegas. I don't know how he'll do it and I don't care but injuries withstanding he still has the physical tools and the brain there is just something missing. The "playoffs" last season really made me buy in again. Maybe i'm a fool
i'm thinking of Ryan Miller too, who was a decent goalie into his mid 30s and beyond. i guess the goalie position doesn't get beat up like the other positions, so those players do sometimes age well (comparatively speaking)

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
“Everyone agrees he put together a top tier team.” What world are you living in?

Really? Go back to read posts here from a month ago. Everyone was raving about Mtl now being a cup contender. And go back to the Fall where everyone was awe on all the new additions. And go read all the journalists and other trenders about what they said.

Top tier means in the top 33%. Are you saying that the current roster should be below that??

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
This interpretation is spellbindingly sympathetic to MB.

Oh don't get me wrong. I hate his guts and I think he is toasted.

I just find it funny he is burning down the house on his way out! I think today was just payback time...

Reactions: dinodebino

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Seems like MB is trying to separate himself from the players as much as possible. Must be easier to trade guys and be objective about what they bring instead of having personal biases screw with your judgement, but at the same time I'm sure there's great value in understanding the relationship dynamics in the team.

For example, if Price and Waite did not work out for a while, MB could have pulled the trigger faster on his goalie coach?

Yea, Engels asked what he has to say to fans and media who have the perception that he doesn't care. To which Price answered "It doesn't matter to me anymore."

And not long after, Engels tweeted that he asked Price that question today because he wrote an article about it in 2018.

Whether or not he answered honestly, he's the only one to know. But it would be a pretty dumb move to admit that the public's opinion matters to him.

Although, no winning against such a question. You either don't care about your fans or you're not confident.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Really? Go back to read posts here from a month ago. Everyone was raving about Mtl now being a cup contender. And go back to the Fall where everyone was awe on all the new additions. And go read all the journalists and other trenders about what they said.

Top tier means in the top 33%. Are you saying that the current roster should be below that??

This roster's probably middle tier.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I made a reply to an Engel’s tweet today after the press conference and he decided to send a direct message to me with this. I’m bad at using the internet so I don’t know how to upload screen shots so I’ll just copy and paste exactly what he responded to me with in quotes when I questioned what he asked and in the fashion he did it.

“Hey, I’m sure you’re a good person and you care about Carey, which is nice to see. You have completely misunderstood my question—to the point that I don’t think you heard it or read it. My question to Carey was to give him the opportunity to defend himself against the perception that he doesn’t care enough. I asked it because the Michel Begerons of the world and certain fans think that he doesn’t care because of how he protects himself by not saying much in the media. When he interacts with the media, it’s public and people draw conclusions based on those interactions and his body language on the ice in general. I have known Carey for 15 years. I have fought against the perception he doesn’t care for my entire career, and he knows that and appreciates it.

You have completely distorted that, as did the person you responded to. I totally understand why he doesn’t say much when he talks. I have never complained about it and never would.“

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ya, maybe that was their thinking, but it was a terrible idea. The optics are bad. Price probably also wanted nothing to do with this.
It was further weird when Bergevin said this has nothing to do with Price, he didn't ask him for his opinion or anything like that, he's the GM and he takes the decisions, he then informs the players...On that note...here's Price to answer about the firing!...:facepalm:
Really f***ing confusing to say the least. I don’t really have a problem with the firing. I don’t know if it changes anything, but whatever. Bringing the goalie to the presser though and going on about how it had nothing to do with Price, well why the f*** is there then? Talk about bizarre, everytime our gm speaks I become more convinced he’s not the man for the job.

Carey didn’t want to be there, Carey didn’t ask for his firing, Carey wasn’t consulted, but here he is facing the media to answer questions about it. Tell me I’m missing something here? This is so damn confusing. What the f*** is he trying to prove. Sounds to me, this is his way of saying, I built and winner and Price is holding us back, so I’ll bring him to the presser to divert attention away from me.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Is this real...

You think playing in Florida, Tampa or Nashville is the same thing as Montreal?
Others players in the league also get their millions but many, many of them...most of them actually, don't have to go through a millions crazy journalist on a daily baisis with all their words being analyze like it's gospel.

In Montreal, we have hockey.....others sports don't have the same coverage.
In the US, in many cities, hockey is the 3rd and even the 4th sports, barely relevant and they don't get the same coverage.

In Europe, if a soccer journalist would ask questions like we've heard today, they would be done the next morning.

Here in Montreal, we let the medias being completely bias, nasty, intrusive to a point that they almost have their word to say about who's the coach, the GM and even some of the players.....and then we wonder "Why top players don't want to come here"...this is why.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My take on this is that MB has tolerated a couple of his veterans who were playing divas for years blaming him and his inability to put a contender team together, and now he is putting his foot down and slamming the door in their face.

He never mentionned names, but we can all guess who they are. Price and Weber have always been very opened about saying that they are getting older and want a real shot at the cup. Well that's the thing now. Enough is enough. MB put together what everyone agrees is a top tier team, and the team is sinking because Price is not pulling his weight with his mammoth contract.

Like George Costenza would say, MB had no hands before, but now he got hands. He completely reversed the table. This is basically giving Price the finger and sending the pressure back to him. Veterans had approached MB to get rid of Clod, well he did the same to him and kicked out his precious little mentor.

You can no longer blame the coach, nor Waite, nor MB, nor the new players, nor the depths. All the spotlight is back on the veterans, and I bet MB is smiling in his office.

That's like me unplugging and hiding the wifi router until my teenage son mow the lawn. Playtime is over.
You seem more confused than MB. If you think he’s smiling you clearly don’t understand how desperate this man is to save his own job. He knows, no playoffs, no extension. This is a guy who is unravelling, not one that is at home smiling. He’s panicking. Next if someone gets hurt he will be firing the trainer and bringing the injured player to the presser and telling everyone the injured player had nothing to do with the firing, he just didn’t want to do the presser alone.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I can assure you MB is not “smiling.” He gave the contract to Price, and brought in the other “veteran” in Weber. It’s his fault for expecting these guys to play like their at the peak of their careers in their mid 30’s. “Everyone agrees he put together a top tier team.” What world are you living in?
I do believe we have a top tier team. We just can’t lean on our bottom pair dman and 3rd line center with the most TOI.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Really f***ing confusing to say the least. I don’t really have a problem with the firing. I don’t know if it changes anything, but whatever. Bringing the goalie to the presser though and going on about how it had nothing to do with Price, well why the f*** is there then? Talk about bizarre, everytime our gm speaks I become more convinced he’s not the man for the job.

Carey didn’t want to be there, Carey didn’t ask for his firing, Carey wasn’t consulted, but here he is facing the media to answer questions about it. Tell me I’m missing something here? This is so damn confusing. What the f*** is he trying to prove. Sounds to me, this is his way of saying, I built and winner and Price is holding us back, so I’ll bring him to the presser to divert attention away from me.

Ya made no sense whatsoever, and made Price look bad.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wish Price wouldn't, the way he speaks is not endearing at all. So plain boring and dull and calculated.
Very deliberate.

He learned very early on that if you say anything of substance it can be used against you. He switched to vanilla and it served him well. A lot of players do this in big markets like Montreal. Look what happened to Subban...

Reactions: Pickles and MasterD

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price is the perfect crisis management. He remains calm and gives off the vibe that this is just another day.
It's why he's managed to survive in the hardest job in the NHL. Goalie for the Montreal Canadiens... talk about insane.

Btw, totally stupid to have him do this conference. I mean wtf is he supposed to say? They didn't consult him when they fired Waite... what's he supposed to say here? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad