HF Habs: Marc Bergevin & Carey Price Media Availability (11AM ET)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's why he's managed to survive in the hardest job in the NHL. Goalie for the Montreal Canadiens... talk about insane.

Btw, totally stupid to have him do this conference. I mean wtf is he supposed to say? They didn't consult him when they fired Waite... what's he supposed to say here? :laugh:

Giving the media as little as possible. I enjoyed his press conference for the simple fact he gave short answers and didn't even leave it open for follow up questions.

Reactions: MasterD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Adam Michaels your post threw me for a loop, what exactly were you insinuating when you asked if I wanted to see the players nude?

tenor.gif

Reactions: OldCraig71

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Giving the media as little as possible. I enjoyed his press conference for the simple fact he gave short answers and didn't even leave it open for follow up questions.
He's a pro at this. That's how you survive in Montreal. Give them nothing. Keep answers short and move on. Press will make hay of everything. His "I don't care" quote will be used to generate clicks for sure... that's all he gave them and they will use it.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
what is going on with this team? This is such a weird thing to do.

Single out a player by having a press conference the day after you fired a goalie coach?

Honestly, wtf is this?

Sounds as if Bergevin could have handled the media questions without involving Price. Seems to me it put Price in an awkward position.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's why he's managed to survive in the hardest job in the NHL. Goalie for the Montreal Canadiens... talk about insane.

Btw, totally stupid to have him do this conference. I mean wtf is he supposed to say? They didn't consult him when they fired Waite... what's he supposed to say here? :laugh:
I wish he would have said I have no f***ing idea why I’m here and wtf this clown beside me is doing and I really wanted to continue working with Waite. Would have been a f*** you moment I could have enjoyed.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Could entice teams who need a big cap hit on their team, but I'm not one to think Price would be tough to move. If made available, I think quite a few teams would happily bite.
There's Carolina too with over 7M in goalie salaries coming off.

Me too. Don't think he'd be tough to move at all. With an NMC Price holds the decision in his hands.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You think playing in Florida, Tampa or Nashville is the same thing as Montreal?
Others players in the league also get their millions but many, many of them...most of them actually, don't have to go through a millions crazy journalist on a daily baisis with all their words being analyze like it's gospel.

In Montreal, we have hockey.....others sports don't have the same coverage.
In the US, in many cities, hockey is the 3rd and even the 4th sports, barely relevant and they don't get the same coverage.

In Europe, if a soccer journalist would ask questions like we've heard today, they would be done the next morning.

Here in Montreal, we let the medias being completely bias, nasty, intrusive to a point that they almost have their word to say about who's the coach, the GM and even some of the players.....and then we wonder "Why top players don't want to come here"...this is why.
Don't agree. In Dallas, the Boys have relentless reporters. Same in Boston for the Pats. Idem in NYC for the Yanks.

There are plenty of examples in pro sports. Montreal is not the worse. In fact, I find the media here to be very bland. Very bland. They were savages in the 90's and early 2000's. Today, they are meh. I mean, they don't follow players in a hospital room anymore, nor go track a fired coach on vacation in the Carribean like they used to.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Don't agree. In Dallas, the Boys have relentless reporters. Same in Boston for the Pats. Idem in NYC for the Yanks.

There are plenty of examples in pro sports. Montreal is not the worse. In fact, I find the media here to be very bland. Very bland. They were savages in the 90's and early 2000's. Today, they are meh. I mean, they don't follow players in a hospital room anymore, nor go track a fired coach on vacation in the Carribean like they used to.

In the sports of hockey, MTL is one of the worst.... competing with Toronto.
I agree that in other sports, it's another story and even worst than anything in the hockey world.

What I hate about our medias is their bias....like I said in another post, Danault is also a big reason why we are in a bad stretch, but when the team lose, they always go after Price, Julien, Tatar....When the team is not doing well, there's blame to go around but they will take that blame and keep it away of some players who deserve it and double trash the others instead.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Or stakeout on a player's street to take a photo of when he takes out the trash with an injured foot.

Or keeping tabs on the star defenseman while he goes skiing on an injured foot

Or investigate the bar scene to dig up dirt on a clique of players

Nowadays the biggest faux pas is spilling the beans on the star goaltender wife's pregnancy (Ooh la la).

Reactions: dinodebino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Or stakeout on a player's street to take a photo of when he takes out the trash with an injured foot.

Nowadays the biggest faux pas is spilling the beans on the star goaltender wife's pregnancy (Ooh la la).

Don't forget taking pictures with the flash of a player after he's had a big eye surgery. Shameless idiots.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Haaaa, the good ol' days!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yusss, that one too. Good times!
Since Bergevin took over, journalists have been very tamed. I'm not sure if it's just them becoming weak or with the growth of internet/social media, journalists can't afford to get into the bad graces of the organization here.

Like if a tough question is Eric Engels telling Price people think he doesn't care...things are pretty good.

Reactions: dinodebino

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Since Bergevin took over, journalists have been very tamed. I'm not sure if it's just them becoming weak or with the growth of internet/social media, journalists can't afford to get into the bad graces of the organization here.

Like if a tough question is Eric Engels telling Price people think he doesn't care...things are pretty good.
I think it's because of Habs' financial clout over the media world in Montreal. No other reason. When Le Journal was selling 500k copies per day, they could afford being independent. Not anymore. Their mothership has a huge TV contract with the League. That and the evaporation of real competition for news.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
You think playing in Florida, Tampa or Nashville is the same thing as Montreal?
Others players in the league also get their millions but many, many of them...most of them actually, don't have to go through a millions crazy journalist on a daily baisis with all their words being analyze like it's gospel.

In Montreal, we have hockey.....others sports don't have the same coverage.
In the US, in many cities, hockey is the 3rd and even the 4th sports, barely relevant and they don't get the same coverage.

In Europe, if a soccer journalist would ask questions like we've heard today, they would be done the next morning.

Here in Montreal, we let the medias being completely bias, nasty, intrusive to a point that they almost have their word to say about who's the coach, the GM and even some of the players.....and then we wonder "Why top players don't want to come here"...this is why.
That's on ownership.

Reactions: Milhouse40

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
BRUH,

Media: How do you explain Jake Allen playing so well and Carey Price playing so poorly under the same coach?

y00000000000000000000000000!!!!

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
My take on this is that MB has tolerated a couple of his veterans who were playing divas for years blaming him and his inability to put a contender team together, and now he is putting his foot down and slamming the door in their face.

He never mentionned names, but we can all guess who they are. Price and Weber have always been very opened about saying that they are getting older and want a real shot at the cup. Well that's the thing now. Enough is enough. MB put together what everyone agrees is a top tier team, and the team is sinking because Price is not pulling his weight with his mammoth contract.

Like George Costenza would say, MB had no hands before, but now he got hands. He completely reversed the table. This is basically giving Price the finger and sending the pressure back to him. Veterans had approached MB to get rid of Clod, well he did the same to him and kicked out his precious little mentor.

You can no longer blame the coach, nor Waite, nor MB, nor the new players, nor the depths. All the spotlight is back on the veterans, and I bet MB is smiling in his office.

That's like me unplugging and hiding the wifi router until my teenage son mow the lawn. Playtime is over.

Yes you can still blame bergie for putting a team who is weak in the middle and on LD.

It remains a result of bad decisions taken 4 years ago or more

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I like when pricer slides around the crease in warmup. We get it bud , you are legit at sliding post to post. Maybe work on that enormous gap over your shoulder instead.

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
For the outside looking in (Sens fan)

Bergevin hasn’t ever built a legit winning team at any point in his tenure as GM. He’s iced competative lineups for a season here or there, but never anything anyone would consider a true contender even for a single season and certainly has never build a team that competes over a 3-5 year span for the Cup which is what you need to do to break through and win the Cup with injuries and luck and matchups.

Price has been left to answer why he is isn’t carrying the team and why he can’t get them to the Cup - see above for answer.

looking in - Price has lost faith that Bergevin can build a winner, and so have so many Habs fans. Bergevin is great at running the business of the Habs and controlling the media and making money for Molson (and that’s a huge skill set that shouldn’t be poo pooed at) - but he is not a GM that builds winning Cup team. Just look at the Center ice, it’s as bad as the day he started.

Price has only so many games left where he can contribute at his level to win, and it that won’t be on a Bergevin built team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The center Ice in May 2012 when Bergevin took over, and was the #1 thing he needed to improve even he said that versus today. No improvement.

Plekanec
Desharnais
Gomez
Lars Eller

today:
KK
Danault
Suzuki
Evan

This is why Carey Price and the Habs fans are frustrated. Center is still small and doesn’t make an impact on NHL games

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The center Ice in May 2011 when Bergevin took over, and was the #1 thing he needed to improve even he said that versus today. No improvement.

Plekanec
Desharnais
Gomez
Lars Eller

today:
KK
Danault
Suzuki
Evan

This is why Carey Price and the Habs fans are frustrated. Center is still small and doesn’t make an impact on NHL games
2012...and first act was Gomez buyout.

Let me repeat again, in the 100+ year Habs history Saku Koivu was the best C ever drafted & developed by the org, despite the legendary HOF at W, D and in nets....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad