HF Habs: Marc Bergevin & Carey Price Media Availability (11AM ET)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Giving the media as little as possible. I enjoyed his press conference for the simple fact he gave short answers and didn't even leave it open for follow up questions.

I made a post yesterday in regards to a DM conversation I had with Engels on Twitter:

I made a reply to an Engel’s tweet today after the press conference and he decided to send a direct message to me with this. I’m bad at using the internet so I don’t know how to upload screen shots so I’ll just copy and paste exactly what he responded to me with in quotes when I questioned what he asked and in the fashion he did it.

“Hey, I’m sure you’re a good person and you care about Carey, which is nice to see. You have completely misunderstood my question—to the point that I don’t think you heard it or read it. My question to Carey was to give him the opportunity to defend himself against the perception that he doesn’t care enough. I asked it because the Michel Begerons of the world and certain fans think that he doesn’t care because of how he protects himself by not saying much in the media. When he interacts with the media, it’s public and people draw conclusions based on those interactions and his body languages on the ice in general. I have known Carey for 15 years. I have fought against the perception he doesn’t care for my entire career, and he knows that and appreciates it.

You have completely distorted that, as did the person you responded to. I totally understand why he doesn’t say much when he talks. I have never complained about it and never would.“

He then added this after I made the post:

“1. The story was Carey Price today. 2. The organization is accountable to the fans. Price was requested, Price fulfills his obligation. 3. The question was not at all off topic--it is related to the subject of what's wrong with Carey, specifically asked to generate an answer that helps me or anyone else make the case that saying he doesn't care is patently ridiculous. 4. As I said, I've known Carey his whole career and he's known me for my whole career and he knew exactly where I stand on the issue and why I was asking.”

I find it funny how Engels, who apparently knows he keeps it short and has a great relationship with him, would ask him a question like that. And I also think it’s funny how he thinks he holds enough power to act as a saviour for him by writing an article to defend him.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
2012...and first act was Gomez buyout.

Let me repeat again, in the 100+ year Habs history Saku Koivu was the best C ever drafted & developed by the org, despite the legendary HOF at W, D and in nets....
You mean, notwithstanding the guys they signed a la Beliveau, right? Jacques Lemaire wasn't a sloutch either. And Yvan Cournoyer. And the Pocket Rocket. I mean, hope you are excluding Jean here.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You mean, notwithstanding the guys they signed a la Beliveau, right? Jacques Lemaire wasn't a sloutch either. And Yvan Cournoyer. And the Pocket Rocket. I mean, hope you are excluding Jean here.
Yes - Le Gros Bill was UFA not drafted & developed.

Roadrunner, Pocket & Lemaire were not PPG players - and it could be argued Lemaire was only playing with Flower to be the defensive conscience and road his coattails.

Bottom line in the entire history Habs have never drafted & developed a legit 1C

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Gally’s waived off goal sealed Julien and Muller’s fate, Zub’s weak goal late in the 2nd sealed Waite’s fate if MB make the decision between the 2nd and 3rd.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I just love how MB makes it sound like he just woke up that morning and threw a dart at the dart board that said "fire goalie coach". Good thing it did not fall on "fire coach" twice in a row!

Then casually says he did not want it to be a distraction, but was too excited to exercise his holy GM powers so could not wait another 20 mins.

You'd think that he would have had discussed the issue with his advisors, perhaps even discussed with Waite regarding the performances of the goalies in the last few years no?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes - Le Gros Bill was UFA not drafted & developed.

Roadrunner, Pocket & Lemaire were not PPG players - and it could be argued Lemaire was only playing with Flower to be the defensive conscience and road his coattails.

Bottom line in the entire history Habs have never drafted & developed a legit 1C

I mean there was no draft before 1963 and A, B, C forms were only eliminated after 1967.

Our glory years were mostly all before that or shortly after when we still had a few vets from before that time.

We drafted 7 C who reached 500+ points. Only 3 spent most of their career here (Koivu, Carbonneau, Plekanec). Ribeiro was traded after 7 years, Keith Acton after 5, Andrew Cassels and Craig Conroy after 2.

Henri Richard was definitely a 1st C though and had several PPG+ years. The HoH board voted #17 C of all time back in 2013-2014. He's probably been passed by guys like Crosby now, but he's still one of the best C who played the game.

Reactions: dinodebino

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think it's because of Habs' financial clout over the media world in Montreal. No other reason. When Le Journal was selling 500k copies per day, they could afford being independent. Not anymore. Their mothership has a huge TV contract with the League. That and the evaporation of real competition for news.

Yes Sir,
Like everything else that is inherently wrong in society today, just follow the money and everything makes sense. "Spin this or GTFO."

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Engels: Carey how do you feel about people's perception that you just don't care. Does it affect you?

Price: Not anymore.

In other words...

Engels: Carey does it bother you that the fans think that you just don't care?

Price: I don't care anymore.

LOL

Price is a robot with the media.

A reporter could straight up tell him that he slept with Angela during his practice that day and he would reply, Yeah it's something that happens and Angela and I will work on it and get to that bridge when we get there. HA

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Engels: Carey how do you feel about people's perception that you just don't care. Does it affect you?

In other words...

LOL

A reporter could straight up tell him that he slept with Angela during his practice that day and he would reply, Yeah it's something that happens and Angela and I will work on it and get to that bridge when we get there. HA

Habs fans think Carey Price doesn’t care - wow. That question had to be a setup because I don’t hear really any fans saying Price has checked out

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Habs fans think Carry spruce doesn’t care - wow. That question had to be a setup because I don’t hear really any fans saying Price has checked out
Does Price look a little... nonchalante on the ice sometimes? Maybe, I mean who wouldn't be depressed with the ****show in front of him, but to say he doesn't care? He's a competitive athlete, he cares about winning.

It's Montreal media so what do you expect when you have 80+ reporters? Sooner or later your question will be asked so you end up asking a stupid filler question.

CLB have like 4 or 5 reporters and they alone cover the team as well as our army of reporters in MTL.

Last edited:
Reactions: salbutera

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Very deliberate.

He learned very early on that if you say anything of substance it can be used against you. He switched to vanilla and it served him well. A lot of players do this in big markets like Montreal. Look what happened to Subban...

A far cry from when he rode into town all obnoxious and mouthy,but at least he showed some personality then. Now he is just like most of them, a bot.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The habs media questions lately just reminded how sturdy Koivu was when he dealt with the media.

They did some twisted things with him, but he went about a decade as habs captain without letting the media affect him, and he didn't really lose his composure with them in times where they might have been baiting him.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I find this decision to not put him in right away against the Jets is plain bizarre. He needs more work without his legit goalie coach? He doesn't feel like it after yersterday? What is it?

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I find this decision to not put him in right away against the Jets is plain bizarre. He needs more work without his legit goalie coach? He doesn't feel like it after yersterday? What is it?
Anyone that thinks Price doesnt want to play is just pushing their own agenda. Anytime he's ever been asked he says he wants to play as much as possible. People shit on him if he plays, people shit on him if he doesnt. You watch there will as many comments about Price in the GDT tonight as there is about Allen.

Reactions: dinodebino

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I was thinking about this whole ordeal over the last day. I’ve come to the conclusion that I take MB at his word - Price did in fact NOT know Waite was getting canned or ask for it, and IMO MB wanted Price to face the media scrutiny, sending a message this is the last chance, he’ll get time to work on his game with Burke, to get the house in order, but shape up or Price is the next to be jettisoned.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

In other words...

LOL

He's been here long enough, can you imagine if you're a public figure caring about what 63yo Jean Morin from Chicoutimi or 23yo John Smith from Vaudreuil think about you?
You'd go nuts and die of anxiety.

The only people that matter are his teammates and coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad