Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
MB wasnt fired wasn't fired at seasons end, after the draft, since July 1, and its pretty clear we are in for a rough season.

I dont see him getting axed before 2019-20. Only possibilty for me is if Galchenyuk shows himself to be a passable 2C, that should be it, even for Molson.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bergevin played 1 191 games in the NHL , that's the 70 th player with the most games played in the NHL history .
Than he became scout and than pro scout director for the Hawks
than he became coach assistant for them and 2 years later was named " directeur du personnel "

He than was assistant-DG for the Jets before he get the job of DG for the Habs . He was a nominee in 2012 and in 2013 for best GM of the NHL .

He travels around the world , wins millions $ each years and works for one of the prestigious sport franchise of the world . Sorry but it's a lot of accomplishment for an idiot :shakehead . But yeah , he's traded Subban and Sergachev , so ...
Do you know Dr. Jordan B. Peterson? He Claims that when the hierarchies work properly skill and talent are rewarded. When they don't work properly, incompetence moves to the top and they become useless and most often dangerous. Actually that's the best way to see if a hierarchy is working properly. Is it a meritocracy or not? I'll let you decide what we got at Habs HQ.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Do you know Dr. Jordan B. Peterson? He Claims that when the hierarchies work properly skill and talent are rewarded. When they don't work properly, incompetence moves to the top and they become useless and most often dangerous. Actually that's the best way to see if a hierarchy is working properly. Is it a meritocracy or not? I'll let you decide what we got at Habs HQ.

A guy like Lefebvre couldn't hit his professional coaching plateau because he couldn't take even a first vertical step.

I'm not certain the plateau was even in his visual range. :laugh:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I don't see any competent bilingual GM at the moment that can replace MB which is probably why Molson didn't fire him at season's end. There were competent GMs available over the last years but they jumped on opportunities given elsewhere.

MB had inherited a great talented team that made MB look like a genius. The team was an elite center, top winger and top D away from winning it all. Unfortunately, MB dismembered the team and chased away the talent replacing it with players who have heart, laughable by the way, but lack the skills to compete in today's NHL. I must say when MB took over, the team needed grit for the bottom lines but MB got "Character" at the expense of talent. His small lateral moves helped strengthen the bottom lines at first but now he has a team of mostly underacheiving and fragile players.

I do expect Galchenyuk to light it up and Domi to bust hard. My hope is that Galchenyuk turns out to be a star player and this should seal the deal for MB. Only then people will realize how incompetent MB truly is. But, I believe most people realize that anyhow by now.

I think MB knows next year will be his last, but I don't believe he cares. He did try to play it safe to buy another year or two. MB loaded up on picks to built through the draft. Molson probably put some restraints on him. However, that Domi-Galchenuyk deal was a dumb move and MB's third strike.

I don't know why the rush to trade Galchenuyk. He was a proven goal scorer despite his off ice issues and Domi may have "Chatacter" but doesn't bring any goals with his 4 empty netters. It's not like they were going to win anything with or without Galchenyuk on the team this upcoming season. How is Domi, an underacheiving forward going to bring you closer to a cup? How about trying to find a solution within and play Galchenyuk at center for next year for the whole season. The Flyers tried that last year and it brought them dividends.

Let's just say MB tries but fails miserably to get top talent or his player evaluations are all wrong. When he traded for Subban, we all knew Weber was on the decline but I don't see why Subban wasn't dealt for a top young talented center instead when the team was in serious need of one. Sergachev would still be here. The team didn't need Weber or Drouin. Radulov with a young talented center and Pacces would have been something to built around. He gave Radulov a chance and let him walk for nothing. Now, he will lose Pacces for nothing or will trade him for loose change.

His only talent is to find grinders, third or fourth liners. You can't built a team like this in today's NHL.

The more I think about it, the more I seem to believe that MB maybe even worse than Rejean Houle.

I can't blame MB for his incompetence. This is all on Molson who didn't do something and left MB in charge for six years.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't see any competent bilingual GM at the moment that can replace MB which is probably why Molson didn't fire him at season's end. There were competent GMs available over the last years but they jumped on opportunities given elsewhere.

Julien Brisbois is still likely available, especially now in the off-season. He'd be my first choice under any circumstance.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Julien Brisbois is still likely available, especially now in the off-season. He'd be my first choice under any circumstance.

Not gonna lie to would be pretty cool to see Dubas and Brisebois lead both franchises back into the playoffs. The amount of crap on the mainboards that would bring out would be hilarious also the rivalry back between two competitive teams if Brisebois can fix Bergevin's mess.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Julien Brisebois is the GM of the AHL's Syracuse Crunch. I highly doubt he will want to leave a successful franchise like Tampa Bay to clean up the mess that are the Montreal Canadiens. Obviously if the money is right, he might jump on the opportunity. I also think that Molson is a bit cheap.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Given how well run the Lightning are, I think Brisebois is a top of the list candidate even setting aside the language requirement.

My fear is that by the time Molson finally gets around to taking Bergevin behind the barn, someone will have beaten us to hiring Brisebois. Then what? Damphousse? Roy? Barf and double barf.

Reactions: LaP

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Julien Brisebois is the GM of the AHL's Syracuse Crunch. I highly doubt he will want to leave a successful franchise like Tampa Bay to clean up the mess that are the Montreal Canadiens. Obviously if the money is right, he might jump on the opportunity. I also think that Molson is a bit cheap.

I doubt Brisbois sees his own upside as AHL GM and NHL asst GM. He'd still be one of the youngest GMs in the league.

Molson agreed to shell out $9M and $10.5M for Subban and Price respectively, and another $5M for Julien. Until last year he spent to the cap every season. Molson may be a lot of things, but cheap isn't one.

Reactions: LaP and Runner77

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Mb is no genius but his mistakes are not new. The team keeps ditching players instead of maximizing their value. They dump on players instead of pumping and dumping. They undervalue their own players and especially their prospects. They try to make lateral moves to change personnel snd get hosed. MB sucks but there really hasn’t been much sign of organizational competence since ‘93.

Is the problem MB? Is it that someone hired him? Is it that somewhere out of public view there are a bunch of demented clowns doing the pro scouting? A combination?

The biggest need is to bring the franchise up to date. To realize you need to respect and value goid players. That you have to find places for flawed players. MT did some bad stuff but he got a defence out of 2 top guys and a bunch of so so players. With a strong GM to tell him that Subban was more important he might have done better.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Not trying to be a smart ass, but the Nordic spelling is BriseBois (for Julien, different for Patrice) and BrisBois is not actually a Canadian surname. :wg:

Reactions: groovejuice

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I doubt Brisbois sees his own upside as AHL GM and NHL asst GM. He'd still be one of the youngest GMs in the league.

Molson agreed to shell out $9M and $10.5M for Subban and Price respectively, and another $5M for Julien. Until last year he spent to the cap every season. Molson may be a lot of things, but cheap isn't one.

I still believe the Montreal Canadiens need a new president and Molson should act as the owner only. Molson needs someone to guide him on how to make good use of his money on players and personnel. Bergevin is not that person. This new president should be someone with great hockey knowledge. The new president should choose the new GM and coach.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Geoff's idea of hockey decisions involve better hotdogs, a new crowd entertainer and bigger torches.

Even if Bergevin is fired, who knows if Geoff will finally have learned his lesson and leave hockey decisions to better people than himself.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I still believe the Montreal Canadiens need a new president and Molson should act as the owner only. Molson needs someone to guide him on how to make good use of his money on players and personnel. Bergevin is not that person. This new president should be someone with great hockey knowledge. The new president should choose the new GM and coach.

You're preaching to the converted. I've been calling for a PHO for ages and most posters here agree, I believe.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Geoff's idea of hockey decisions involve better hotdogs, a new crowd entertainer and bigger torches.

Even if Bergevin is fired, who knows if Geoff will finally have learned his lesson and leave hockey decisions to better people than himself.
I assume Geoff will fire Marc and then take over as acting GM as well. He will offer hot dog secret recipes as add ons in trades.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Was listening to the NHL network previews this week and man it's depressing. It's basically, the Canadiens are Carey Price and nothing else. Shea Weber's gone until at least December, Max looks like he wants out (and we want him out) and that leaves... Gallagher?

Even with Weber we have arguably the worst blueline in the NHL. Without him we're definitely the worst. How the hell did we get here when only a short while ago we were an up and coming team with young superstar talent. It's just so freaking sad.

And we don't even have a decent stockpile of picks/prospects to go along with it.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I assume Geoff will fire Marc and then take over as acting GM as well. He will offer hot dog secret recipes as add ons in trades.
LOL. Are you the one who made the crack that Benn won't be traded because they like big beards in the NHL? If you are, I'll start to take notice of your posts. You have a sense of humour. Something we will need to get us through this upcoming abysmal season

Reactions: habsfan909
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad