Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Really? Do you mean the city taxes themselves?

He meant provincial taxes. The Quebec government transfers wealth from Montreal to the rest of the province. In fairness, that could be seen as an investment.

On the bright side, Montreal hasn't had as embarrassing a mayor as Rob Ford. Ford was so ridiculous that people knew him all over the world -- even in Australia. In contrast, how many Canadians can name the mayor of Sydney?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We'll agree to disagree. Molson is tight, and sure it doesn't make sense to let this man devalue your product over a 15-20 million, but Geoff doesn't see the long picture imo and never has. The end of year press conference where he is interrupting MB when MB is going on about attitude is quite telling imo. He had to correct the GM on more than once occasion because he knew he wasn't making sense. I say with great confidence that if MB had 1, 2 years left on his deal he would have been shown the door.
Again I disagree. Molson doesn't mind spending, he's never put a ceiling on the cap, we never lost players because of finances, last year we had about 10M in unspent cap, this year we have about 7...That alone is 17M. If his main concern was money, there's also no way he signs off on trading Subban, the most popular player.
As dumb as Molson is, he is not going to let an employee ruin his business. So if he doesn't trust Bergevin, there is no way he lets him fire staff, hire new people, make trades and still do big signings, reset-retool-rebuild. No way.
If he doesn't trust him but has to keep him in the position because the remaining value of his contract is too high, then he would bring in another guy to supervise him. He didn't do that.
He just lets Bergevin do whatever he pleases.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Really? Do you mean the city taxes themselves?
No, the provincial taxes. Also, the only reason we're seeing some of our crumbling infrastructures repaired lately is because one of the points in Trudeau's platform was he was going to shell out federal money to all the provinces to upgrade the nation's infrastructures and stimulate the economy. If he hadn't come along with his going into debt plan, no one would be repairing Montreal's streets, bridges and highways. It's an effing disgrace. Montreal has the infrastructure of a 3rd world city.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He meant provincial taxes. The Quebec government transfers wealth from Montreal to the rest of the province. In fairness, that could be seen as an investment.

On the bright side, Montreal hasn't had as embarrassing a mayor as Rob Ford. Ford was so ridiculous that people knew him all over the world -- even in Australia. In contrast, how many Canadians can name the mayor of Sydney?
Investing in the rest of Quebec meanwhile Montreal is falling apart. Sounds like a bad investment to me but to be fair it's not all the provincial government's fault. The Montreal administrations over the decades have been corrupt.

It's a testimony to Toronto that even with a clown like Rob Ford that city shook him off as a bad case of dust and continued thriving..

Reactions: DAChampion

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You're absolutely right. I apologize.

I've shown poor writing skills by constantly using the same word. I need to expand my vocabulary to include synonyms such as imbecile, moron, fool, dunce, halfwit, cretin, dolt, simpleton, nincompoop, dumb-ass, bozo, meathead, pinhead, airhead, lamebrain, meatball, mouth-breather, dipstick.

The word "idiot" doesn't capture the whole picture. I promise to do better in my next post.
Bergevin played 1 191 games in the NHL , that's the 70 th player with the most games played in the NHL history .
Than he became scout and than pro scout director for the Hawks
than he became coach assistant for them and 2 years later was named " directeur du personnel "

He than was assistant-DG for the Jets before he get the job of DG for the Habs . He was a nominee in 2012 and in 2013 for best GM of the NHL .

He travels around the world , wins millions $ each years and works for one of the prestigious sport franchise of the world . Sorry but it's a lot of accomplishment for an idiot :shakehead . But yeah , he's traded Subban and Sergachev , so ...

Reactions: Belial

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bergevin played 1 191 games in the NHL , that's the 70 th player with the most games played in the NHL history .
than he became coach assistant for them and 2 years later was named " directeur du personnel "

He than was assistant-DG for the Jets before he get the job of DG for the Habs . He was a nominee in 2012 and in 2013 for best GM of the NHL .

He travels around the world , wins millions $ each years and works for one of the prestigious sport franchise of the world . Sorry but it's a lot of accomplishment for an idiot :shakehead . But yeah , he's traded Subban and Sergachev , so ...

You must have a lot of faith in the system.

"If somebody's successful, then that's proof that they're smart."

OK.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Investing in the rest of Quebec meanwhile Montreal is falling apart. Sounds like a bad investment to me but to be fair it's not all the provincial government's fault. The Montreal administrations over the decades have been corrupt.

It's a testimony to Toronto that even with a clown like Rob Ford that city shook him off as a bad case of dust and continued thriving..
The real question is where Montreal will be in two years -- the roads and the hockey team. Both are in a forced rebuild, not due to strategic planning but because after years of denial the foundation has crumbled and management had no choice. So right now the team and roads are in total disrepair. Montreal is an embarrassment. Yet the city is abuzz with draft picks and cranes and rookies and construction and new coaches and new highways. Lots of activity! Lots of promises that we'll see a better product in the near-future because, well, look at all the changes! Problem is, we've been promised this before and have been burned again and again. Montreal the hockey team and the infrastructure have been doing patch-jobs for so frikkin long that we no longer believe management is capable of lifting itself anywhere. Maybe this time will be different. But right now it looks like frantic paddling to keep themselves from sinking even further.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he doesn't trust him but has to keep him in the position because the remaining value of his contract is too high, then he would bring in another guy to supervise him. He didn't do that.

How do we know this for a fact? Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Molson was consulting hockey people on an ad hoc basis, especially on critical decisions. If Molson won't fire Bergevin on account of the remaining term on his contract, then why would he hire someone else in a supervisory capacity and add another layer of costs? Might as well attack the problem at its core and fire his incompetent GM.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Again I disagree. Molson doesn't mind spending, he's never put a ceiling on the cap, we never lost players because of finances, last year we had about 10M in unspent cap, this year we have about 7...That alone is 17M. If his main concern was money, there's also no way he signs off on trading Subban, the most popular player.
As dumb as Molson is, he is not going to let an employee ruin his business. So if he doesn't trust Bergevin, there is no way he lets him fire staff, hire new people, make trades and still do big signings, reset-retool-rebuild. No way.

|Don't believe those hiring/firings were necessarily choices made by MB.

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
How do we know this for a fact? Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Molson was consulting hockey people on an ad hoc basis, especially on critical decisions. If Molson won't fire Bergevin on account of the remaining term on his contract, then why would he hire someone else in a supervisory capacity and add another layer of costs? Might as well attack the problem at its core and fire his incompetent GM.

Agreed 100%.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
|Don't believe those hiring/firings were necessarily choices made by MB.

I had the same take when some personnel changes were made at the start of the off season.

Bergevin was asked repeatedly what changes he would bring to the management structure in the off season and his answer was that he'd conduct the same review as he does every year. However, when Molson was asked, he spoke of a more stringent process that involves "leaving no stones unturned."

Bergevin has shown himself incapable of firing anyone he's hired during his tenure, especially those in high positions. He provided Lefebvre with incredible leeway. Plus, the hirings of Ducharme and Bouchard were not typical of the type of individuals Bergevin sought in past seasons.

All of the foregoing leads me to believe that the decisions taken this off season go beyond Bergevin.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Puts pucks at da net. Were a grinin' team. Ascep it.

Man every time i watch this video something inside me dies.
A speedy bunch of forwards with not much of a physical presence with the ability to transition with the best of them and they are expected to dump and chase when they don't even need to!!!! What a God damn ape Therrien was! Add Subban and Price at the back and you should be thinking that we should use our speed to our advantage but no, we need to play like the LA Kings! I look at how Gerard Gallant had Vegas play this year and I think, hmm did he just come up with a way to make a speedy team of castoffs get to the Stanley cup finals and almost pull of the expansion success story of a century or did he already have built that theory as he stood behind our bench? Think about what we could have been with someone competent behind the bench and upstairs!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Since when is Molson viewed as greedy not completely invested in his business success?

How much would firing Bergeving cost? this year's free cap space?

I mean, clearly, this is not a question of dollars here IMO.

And they could just send him scouting or something to not just pay him for nothing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

George W was the POTUS.

Nuff said

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Nah, I think 2 back to back crap seasons will do him in, especially if price doesn't bounce back.
Notice that they having said publicly that this is a rebuilding year? What do you think comes out of their mouths come mid November if the team is already out of the playoff running? You guessed it, this is a rebuilding year! Mark my words and remember my post when that time comes.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Think about what we could have been with someone competent behind the bench and upstairs!

This is the part we don't want to think about too much. It interferes with getting a good night's sleep. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Notice that they having said publicly that this is a rebuilding year? What do think comes out of their mouths come mid November if the team is already out of the playoff running? You guessed it, this is a rebuilding year! Mark my words and remember my post when that time comes.

One theory is that they're not mentioning the world "rebuilding" since it would cast a huge spotlight on undoing what Bergevin has built. So they're going with "reset", which presupposes that some of what Bergevin has done, is salvageable. Face saving 101.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm pretty sure owners don't interfere with contracts, negotiations, signings, etc. Sure, owners and GMs meet to set budgetary limits and of course owners sign their names to the contracts -- it's their money, after all -- but it's the GM who makes the personnel decisions of who they sign and for how much. Weird as it seems, Molson must still have trust in Bergevin to make the right moves. To a point. No owner will publicly rip their GM, but there is absolutely a clock ticking down on Molson's patience and Bergevin's employment. He'll be fired eventually, but none of us will see it coming.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm pretty sure owners don't interfere with contracts, negotiations, signings, etc. Sure, owners and GMs meet to set budgetary limits and of course owners sign their names to the contracts -- it's their money, after all -- but it's the GM who makes the personnel decisions of who they sign and for how much. Weird as it seems, Molson must still have trust in Bergevin to make the right moves. To a point. No owner will publicly rip their GM, but there is absolutely a clock ticking down on Molson's patience and Bergevin's employment. He'll be fired eventually, but none of us will see it coming.

It depends on who the owner is and sometimes, circumstances drive ownership to be more hands on. Ownership is choosing Geoff Molson to have a hockey role, which you don't see on several if not most other teams. The fact of Geoff and Bergevin making contradictory statements about what would happen in the off season and seeing the first firings in the Bergevin era occur now and that these are more in line with what Geoff announced, leads me to believe that Geoff is knee-deep into the process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad