Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Chantal Machabée was on a podcast and she told a personal story that involves Marc Bergevin:

"On peut critiquer cette équipe-là pour toutes sortes de raisons mais au niveau administratif, au niveau personnel, c'est une équipe de première classe. Ils sont extraordinaires. [...] Un moment donné, je suis à Columbus et ma mère est à l'hôpital, elle est aux soins intensifs puis on ne sait pas si elle va passer la nuit puis c'est une opération qui a mal tourné qu'elle a eu. Ma soeur m'appelle puis je suis dans le corridor et c'est juste avant le match puis je pleure ma vie. Je pleure ma vie. J'suis à Columbus, j'suis loin et je ne peux pas être là. C'est soudain, c'est une opération qu'elle avait déjà eu mais celle-là elle tourne mal et là on ne sait pas. Marc Bergevin vient me voir et me demande: "Qu'est-ce que t'as?" J'lui dit: "Ma mère est entre la vie et la mort et je me sens tellement loin." Il me dit: "Tu t'en retournes quand?" J'lui dit: "J'vais être à Montréal demain après-midi" parce que nous on voyage pas avec l'équipe donc j'avais un vol le lendemain qui n'était pas un vol direct en plus. Fack il dit: "Non, ça marche pas. Il faut que tu sois avec ta mère. Va à l'hôtel et va chercher tes choses, fais ton checkout et tu vas t'en venir avec nous autres dans l'avion. Ce soir à minuit tu vas être au chevet de ta mère." Alors Marc Bergevin m'a ramenée avec l'équipe pour que je puisse être avec ma mère. J'suis partie de l'aéroport, j'avais une voiture là et je suis allée directement à l'hôpital. Ça, je ne l'oublierai jamais. C'est le directeur général d'une équipe, là. Il me voyait en larmes, lui il a perdu sa mère quand il était jeune et ça l'a énormément marqué. Il la pleure encore sa maman. Quand il a su que ma mère, on savait pas si elle était pour passer la nuit, ça l'a atteint beaucoup, ça l'a affecté et il a dit: "Regarde, moi je vais tout faire pour que tu sois avec ta mère." Ça, tu vois c'est la première première fois que j'en parle. Mais ça c'était extraordinaire et c'est ça, le Canadien de Montréal."

For non-French speaking members, she said that the team was in Columbus for a game and she got a call from her sister saying that their mother had a surgery and there were complications, so her mother was on her death bed. Chantal was in the hallway in tears, but couldn't go back to Montreal as her flight was the next morning (media doesn't travel with the team). Bergevin happened to walk by her and he noticed her crying. He asked her what was wrong and she explained. He told her that she should go back to the hotel, get her things, check out, and come back to the arena and that she would travel with the team immediately after the game. She explains that Bergevin lost his mother when he was young and he is still very emotional about that. And he wanted Chantal to be with her mother that same night. She adds that you can criticize the team and the organization, but when it comes to them as human beings, they're first class.

Luckily, her mother pulled through and she was able to get out of that scare.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Chantal Machabée was on a podcast and she told a personal story that involves Marc Bergevin:

"On peut critiquer cette équipe-là pour toutes sortes de raisons mais au niveau administratif, au niveau personnel, c'est une équipe de première classe. Ils sont extraordinaires. [...] Un moment donné, je suis à Columbus et ma mère est à l'hôpital, elle est aux soins intensifs puis on ne sait pas si elle va passer la nuit puis c'est une opération qui a mal tourné qu'elle a eu. Ma soeur m'appelle puis je suis dans le corridor et c'est juste avant le match puis je pleure ma vie. Je pleure ma vie. J'suis à Columbus, j'suis loin et je ne peux pas être là. C'est soudain, c'est une opération qu'elle avait déjà eu mais celle-là elle tourne mal et là on ne sait pas. Marc Bergevin vient me voir et me demande: "Qu'est-ce que t'as?" J'lui dit: "Ma mère est entre la vie et la mort et je me sens tellement loin." Il me dit: "Tu t'en retournes quand?" J'lui dit: "J'vais être à Montréal demain après-midi" parce que nous on voyage pas avec l'équipe donc j'avais un vol le lendemain qui n'était pas un vol direct en plus. Fack il dit: "Non, ça marche pas. Il faut que tu sois avec ta mère. Va à l'hôtel et va chercher tes choses, fais ton checkout et tu vas t'en venir avec nous autres dans l'avion. Ce soir à minuit tu vas être au chevet de ta mère." Alors Marc Bergevin m'a ramenée avec l'équipe pour que je puisse être avec ma mère. J'suis partie de l'aéroport, j'avais une voiture là et je suis allée directement à l'hôpital. Ça, je ne l'oublierai jamais. C'est le directeur général d'une équipe, là. Il me voyait en larmes, lui il a perdu sa mère quand il était jeune et ça l'a énormément marqué. Il la pleure encore sa maman. Quand il a su que ma mère, on savait pas si elle était pour passer la nuit, ça l'a atteint beaucoup, ça l'a affecté et il a dit: "Regarde, moi je vais tout faire pour que tu sois avec ta mère." Ça, tu vois c'est la première première fois que j'en parle. Mais ça c'était extraordinaire et c'est ça, le Canadien de Montréal."

For non-French speaking members, she said that the team was in Columbus for a game and she got a call from her sister saying that their mother had a surgery and there were complications, so her mother was on her death bed. Chantal was in the hallway in tears, but couldn't go back to Montreal as her flight was the next morning (media doesn't travel with the team). Bergevin happened to walk by her and he noticed her crying. He asked her what was wrong and she explained. He told her that she should go back to the hotel, get her things, check out, and come back to the arena and that she would travel with the team immediately after the game. She explains that Bergevin lost his mother when he was young and he is still very emotional about that. And he wanted Chantal to be with her mother that same night. She adds that you can criticize the team and the organization, but when it comes to them as human beings, they're first class.

Classic. Evaluate the guy on his intangibles instead of his capacity of managing a team, wich is his job.

I have no doubt Bergevin can be a Nice guy, but I honestly couldnt care less.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

We already know that bergevin is an emotional guy since the first time therrien made him cry on national tv. Its the fact that he cant be objective that's the problem.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Classic. Evaluate the guy on his intangibles instead of his capacity of managing a team, wich is his job.

I have no doubt Bergevin can be a Nice guy, but I honestly couldnt care less.

Yeah, I'm not sure what this is supposed to do for me, honestly. Awesome, Bergevin behaved like a decent human being. Okay? Honestly, if you saw someone you knew in alone and in tears, you'd probably ask them what was wrong. And if you have the means/pull to help them out - especially so easily - you probably would too. I mean, I know it sounds like I'm lessening the kind thing Bergevin did...which I guess I am, because I don't see it as extraordinary personally. It's just the right, nice thing to do. Good on him, but it really doesn't my change my opinion of him or this team in the slightest.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's a really nice human-interest story. Period. There's no reason to read more into it or qualify his actions with, "He's still a bad GM". Bergevin did a very nice thing and deserves the compliment.

I disagree. If this is how it's suppose to be taken, then she shouldn't make the link between Bergevin and how his action makes the Habs a first-class organization. She freaking starts her story by linking it to the Habs as an institution.

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada
I would like to know what prompted her to tell the story before I pass judgement on why this is a story. Some context would be nice.

At the end o’da day though, he’s still terrible at his job. His results speak for themselves.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I disagree. If this is how it's suppose to be taken, then she shouldn't make the link between Bergevin and how his action makes the Habs a first-class organization. She freaking starts her story by linking it to the Habs as an institution.
Of course his actions have no relation to organizational policy. The lady was in a tough, emotional situation, Bergevin helped out, and she gushed about it. It wasn't a press release. It was just a sincere reaction from a woman whose life intersected with Bergevin's. Good on him. End of story, IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Of course his actions have no relation to organizational policy. The lady was in a tough, emotional situation, Bergevin helped out, and she gushed about it. It wasn't a press release. It was just a sincere reaction from a woman whose life intersected with Bergevin's. Good on him. End of story, IMO.
Because he's a terrible GM...she should know better than to share this type of story.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
@Lshap : I do nice things everyday. Where is the podcast about me? This story is being told BECAUSE bozovin is such a bad GM that she feels the need to say something good about him. This is why the two things are linked.
If Bergevin had said this about himself he'd deserve every shot people are taking at him. But he didn't. He simply did something nice. That's it. I don't get why or how it could be spun into so many negative and detoured in so many unrelated directions.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm sure Bergevin is a great guy to have a beer with and he probably loves his dog because it gives him the kind of loyalty he can't get from the humans under his charge, but "at the end of the day" he isn't being paid to be a good Samaritan and we all know where nice guys finish, don't we? I don't care how much money a guy donates (or in Subban's case, "pledges") to charity. If he can't do what he's paid to do well enough, he's got to go. It's not personal, it's just business. Likeability is overrated. How many dopes have won elections simply because people think that they'd like to have a beer with them? It's no way to evaluate a politician's ability nor is it a way to judge how well an NHL general manager is doing (or not doing) his job. It's nice to be likeable but it isn't a job requirement. Not being a colossal f***up is a job requirement and on that score, Bergevin gets a failing grade.

Besides, one could easily argue that Bergevin was only being nice to Chantal because he was hoping to one day maneuver her into bed. It's as likely a scenario as any other, given that we really don't know anything about him except what we see on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->