Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm pretty sure owners don't interfere with contracts, negotiations, signings, etc. Sure, owners and GMs meet to set budgetary limits and of course owners sign their names to the contracts -- it's their money, after all -- but it's the GM who makes the personnel decisions of who they sign and for how much. Weird as it seems, Molson must still have trust in Bergevin to make the right moves. To a point. No owner will publicly rip their GM, but there is absolutely a clock ticking down on Molson's patience and Bergevin's employment. He'll be fired eventually, but none of us will see it coming.

Molson is not only the owner, he's the President and chief executive officer.

Pretty sure he's involved in everything regarding contracts, trades and so on.

All those trades/signings made by Bergevin were approved by Molson!

Him firing Bergevin would be like firing himself at this point.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
One theory is that they're not mentioning the world "rebuilding" since it would cast a huge spotlight on undoing what Bergevin has built. So they're going with "reset", which presupposes that some of what Bergevin has done, is salvageable. Face saving 101.
They are like politicians, they have every possible outcome covered, either way he gets to stay, mark my words.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I'm pretty sure owners don't interfere with contracts, negotiations, signings, etc
Well the Ovechkin-Leonsis relationship throws a hammer in that theory, but in most cares you probably are right .

The Ovy case is an exception

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
One theory is that they're not mentioning the world "rebuilding" since it would cast a huge spotlight on undoing what Bergevin has built. So they're going with "reset", which presupposes that some of what Bergevin has done, is salvageable. Face saving 101.

I see it more as when you RESET, you're rebooting something that is working but it had a bug or a snag. Like a computer.

Rebuilding would be admitting that's not built right.

That's why he uses reset, just simply because a rebuild infers that he didnt build it right.

Reset fits with his pet theory about attitude. He built it right, there was just a bug, the wrong attitude. Reseting puts the attitude back to an even keel and then we can really see how fantastic the team he put together actually is.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
He was a nominee in 2012 and in 2013 for best GM of the NHL .
What changes did he do to the 2012 and 2013 teams To deserve those nominations? Nothing... those werent his teams. His team is the 2018 one. 3 players left from the previous era. And two of those are the best at their position on the team. Price and Pacioretty. Hell maybe Plekanec is our best C as bad as that sounds.

What a great job in did in 6 years, right? :shakehead:

But yeah , he's traded Subban and Sergachev , so ...
So.... he's stupid?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Someone is baiting hard today :laugh:

Nice to see that no one is taking the bait. :clap:

This is actually hilarious! :laugh:

Has this board turned into some sort of sect or something at this point? Any divergent take/opinion is viewed as some sort of trolling/baiting... :biglaugh:

It's funny and actually sad at the same time.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Has this board turned into some sort of sect or something at this point? Any divergent take/opinion is viewed as some sort of trolling/baiting... :biglaugh:

Do you think that people who believe the world is round are part of some kind of sect or cult? And the opinion of people who believe the earth is flat should be viewed as equally valid and rational?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Do you think that people who believe the world is round are part of some kind of sect or cult? And the opinion of people who believe the earth is flat should be viewed as equally valid and rational?

This analogy is flat out ridiculous and completely irrational because facts are facts.

But in our case we're debating hypotheticals, so you're not more right or wrong than I am at this point in time. So there's no need to be cynical, arrogant and disrespectful 24/7...

At the end of the day we're all Habs fans, I hope...

Reactions: jaffy27

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
This analogy is flat out ridiculous and completely irrational because facts are facts.

But in our case we're debating hypotheticals, so you're not more right or wrong than I am at this point in time. So there's no need to be cynical, arrogant and disrespectful 24/7...

At the end of the day we're all Habs fans, I hope...

His analogy fits perfectly. Bergevin ruining the team is not a hypothetical. Facts are facts.
Wake up man. I question your fandom every time I read a post of yours .Seems like you just want us to linger in mediocrity for years and you have absolutely no problem with the fact our gm hasent had a plan in 6 years because “if the absolute best happens and all our players play at their peak we are a playoff team””anything can happen”

And you call yourself a fan? Lmao I took the bait right now but man your posts are so ridiculous. I hate to say it but gullible boot licking fans like you are the reason molson and bergevin are content with spitting in fans faces and racking in the dough.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval

I didn't mention any names, did I?

But Hey, if the shoe fits... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Bryson and Peanut

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I had the same take when some personnel changes were made at the start of the off season.

Bergevin was asked repeatedly what changes he would bring to the management structure in the off season and his answer was that he'd conduct the same review as he does every year. However, when Molson was asked, he spoke of a more stringent process that involves "leaving no stones unturned."

Bergevin has shown himself incapable of firing anyone he's hired during his tenure, especially those in high positions. He provided Lefebvre with incredible leeway. Plus, the hirings of Ducharme and Bouchard were not typical of the type of individuals Bergevin sought in past seasons.

All of the foregoing leads me to believe that the decisions taken this off season go beyond Bergevin.

I think it's a mostly universally accepted idea that Bergevin is currently a lame duck GM.

We just don't know how short the leash is, or how far the relatively hockey ignorant Molson is willing to endorse moves he shouldn't. Let's not forget this is the guy that signed off on the Subban trade for what looked suspiciously like non-hockey reasons.

Reactions: Runner77

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No. Especially considering Bergevin is in fact dumber than a back of bricks tbh. I think he did a good job proving that the past few years.

Sure... You know him personally right?

His analogy fits perfectly. Bergevin ruining the team is not a hypothetical. Facts are facts.
Wake up man. I question your fandom every time I read a post of yours .Seems like you just want us to linger in mediocrity for years and you have absolutely no problem with the fact our gm hasent had a plan in 6 years because “if the absolute best happens and all our players play at their peak we are a playoff team””anything can happen”

And you call yourself a fan? Lmao I took the bait right now but man your posts are so ridiculous. I hate to say it but gullible boot licking fans like you are the reason molson and bergevin are content with spitting in fans faces and racking in the dough.

Ruining the team? What team ffs! That's you who should wake the f*** up! There was no team, to begin with!

He traded PK and he suddenly ruined everything?! Gimme a break!Geez...

I didn't mention any names, did I?

But Hey, if the shoe fits... :sarcasm:

Bergevin would probably never figured it out! Right?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin played 1 191 games in the NHL , that's the 70 th player with the most games played in the NHL history .
Than he became scout and than pro scout director for the Hawks
than he became coach assistant for them and 2 years later was named " directeur du personnel "

He than was assistant-DG for the Jets before he get the job of DG for the Habs . He was a nominee in 2012 and in 2013 for best GM of the NHL .

He travels around the world , wins millions $ each years and works for one of the prestigious sport franchise of the world . Sorry but it's a lot of accomplishment for an idiot :shakehead . But yeah , he's traded Subban and Sergachev , so ...

Bergevin was a fringe player all his career. He was a good guy liked by his coach and his teammates but that's about it. Gratz to him for playing that many games but it doesn't make him a good and qualified gm.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Molson is not only the owner, he's the President and chief executive officer.

Pretty sure he's involved in everything regarding contracts, trades and so on.

All those trades/signings made by Bergevin were approved by Molson!

Him firing Bergevin would be like firing himself at this point.

Molson is not "the" owner, he's the principal owner, but is answerable to the rest of the ownership group. This is perhaps why Molson changed his blind acceptance of Bergevin's rather large list of failures during the off-season.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Molson is not "the" owner, he's the principal owner, but is answerable to the rest of the ownership group. This is perhaps why Molson changed his blind acceptance of Bergevin's rather large list of failures during the off-season.
The Molson family is the majority owner of the Habs.

And what exactly did he change in your opinion? Seems like Bergevin is still doing his thing out there...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Bergevin was a fringe player all his career. He was a good guy liked by his coach and his teammates but that's about it. Gratz to him for playing that many games but it doesn't make him a good and qualified gm.
I respect your opinion and it’s well put....a lot better than “He’s dumber then a bag of bricks” type comments.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
2g4ez8.jpg
That is awesome how you do that. Bravo!

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The Molson family is the majority owner of the Habs.

And what exactly did he change in your opinion? Seems like Bergevin is still doing his thing out there...

Principal, majority, same thing. The point is when you invest 100s of millions of dollars, you aren't a silent partner, especially when the principal is involved in the day to day running of the team.

Both Molson and Bergevin were quoted this off-season about a more limited role for the GM, as far as freewheeling goes. You don't recall Bergevin whining about setting up the team for the next guy? Or about Molson talking about changes?

I think there's no doubt that Molson has hockey advisors outside of the "team hierarchy". I believe he had an internal (ownership) impetus to do exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad