Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
“We are extremely happy to announce the appointment of Larry Carrière¨re as Assistant General Manager/Player Personnel. Larry brings with him an important background in the NHL in several key areas such as recruitment, player evaluation and player development. He will be a key contributor to our hockey management team”, said Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier.

I'm usually pretty sharp on this type of things but this time I'm clueless... Your point?

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm usually pretty sharp on this type of things but this time I'm clueless... Your point?
The Gauthier love-in is making me remember some of the moves he made as GM of this team...

I never realized or rather, forgot he was responsible for bringing on Larry Carrière.

Thought it was a funny footnote is all lol

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Well I agree that our team from 2012 was way more interesting than our current roster...

Price 25 years old / considered one of the best young goaltender in the game.

Subban 24 years old / top pairing defenseman

Pacioretty 24 years old / 30+ goal scorer (already)

Eller 24 years old / solid 2 way center

If we had that currently with the current habs everybody would be excited... Instead they stagnated, never traded for another top 6 center, trade away a top defenseman for an older one and here we are.

think:
Seth Jones, Mikko Rantanen, John Gibson
vs
Victor Mete, Jonathan Drouin, Lindgren

Yes if you had these 3 pieces to the like of Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Ylonen, etc. I can guarantee you the fans would be more excited than they are now.

Id pay to be able to like this post twice.

Reactions: 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
3. Where is your example trades? Come on man. Show us something to back up your stance. You said Bergevin failed to improve on Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher, Eller, Galchenyuk with vets like Pleky and Markov.

Show me what we could of traded for the guys who were actually traded starting in 2012? Come up with examples to support your opinion?

When Jordan Staal went down pre season after our ECF we should have traded DD and Pleks for Eric Staal. An 8m in and 8m out deal that would have provided Carolina a 1-2 while Jordan healed and Montreal a legit number 1 showing a clear intention to that core.
Heck we could have tried for an additional winger at the time in a multi-player.

The beauty of the deal for The Canes would have been an easy road and or excuse to McJesus or Eichel. Unless you believe teams don't tank.

MB should have been all over this but we Fans got nothing but an excuse from our GM. Even had he not succeeded in getting Staal a report any report that he was desperately trying would have been an idication that we had a discerning man at the Helm.

Reactions: Bryson

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Does anyone really hate Bergevin? I just fear trade announcements ever since Subban for Weber. The pool of candidates (francophones who are good but don't have work) is pretty small. Most of the potential candidates are people the habs initially groomed so as to have a pool to pick from. I don't think Vigneault is a coaching option and I really don't see GM candidates other than Brisebois.

I really don't want to see an ex-player for any of these options unless Robinson has a major change of plans.

It might be time to look at non- or semi-hockey guys. Check out HEC grads with good stats background and some interest in and understanding of hockey. Maybe some poker playing, though MB is supposed to be good and it hasn't helped him. Time to refresh the pro scouting as the trades have been weak since at least the early '90s. And get a good advanced stat guy.

Reactions: groovejuice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You will fully appreciate Bergevin in like 8 years.
giphy.gif

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Does anyone really hate Bergevin? I just fear trade announcements ever since Subban for Weber. The pool of candidates (francophones who are good but don't have work) is pretty small. Most of the potential candidates are people the habs initially groomed so as to have a pool to pick from. I don't think Vigneault is a coaching option and I really don't see GM candidates other than Brisebois.

I really don't want to see an ex-player for any of these options unless Robinson has a major change of plans.

It might be time to look at non- or semi-hockey guys. Check out HEC grads with good stats background and some interest in and understanding of hockey. Maybe some poker playing, though MB is supposed to be good and it hasn't helped him. Time to refresh the pro scouting as the trades have been weak since at least the early '90s. And get a good advanced stat guy.

This should be a poll question.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Of course it’s more complex. He’s paid millions of dollars to do it.

I have a job. I watch hockey. I’m not responsible for managing the Montreal Canadiens. He is. He’s responsible.

I’m expected to know my own job, but also know all the steps of managing a multi million dollar organization?

He’s the one who’s paid to be responsible. To understand his team. To make good decisions. To be proactive. To hire the best staff.

Not me. Not you. Not anyone else in this forum.

I’m supposed to be held to the same standard as him?

My goodness, this is getting more and more painful. Who gives a flying f**k whether I knew it was coming 5 years ago. HE’S the one who’s paid and was hired to know.

Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy made the same damn mistake. They completely and utterly misunderstood their team and where they were. Blew up exceptional in the their faces. They get no sympathy nor any excuses for completely botching what they did. If for my own team I don’t excuse th GM, why would I excuse it for a team I’m not a fan of?

Ugh, why do I bother.

Bergevin being clueless was just put forth as a defence of his performance by his most loyal booster on the board.

Reactions: groovejuice

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Or maybe it's time to consider English candidates. :sarcasm:

Reactions: PhysicX and Chr1s97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad