Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Bergevin for sure has a plethora of multi color pens in his office.
ma0lDUAIT6hdENwckvvZ57w.jpg

I actually meant special as in the pen was able to make Begevin write. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What crap. Montreal is one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Toronto is trash. I’ve worked all over the world as an architect. Your post is entirely ignorant.

I wouldn’t say Toronto is trash as someone from whose travelled from the outside into both Toronto and Montreal multiple times. But Montreal is always a highlight. It really is a beautiful place for multiple reasons.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
What crap. Montreal is one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Toronto is trash. I’ve worked all over the world as an architect. Your post is entirely ignorant.

That is certainly a personal opinion. I've lived all over Canada including Toronto, worked in most of the US, and been all over Europe, now live in Montreal.

Honestly, Montreal is just a great big pothole without many plus features except cheaper housing. It certainly has lost what it was since its peak in 1967 and of the two cities now, Toronto is by far the leader of the two in just about all areas.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What's beautiful about it? The government corruption or the magnificent roads or those beautiful orange cones that you can't escape? Or the week long delays to clear the snow in winter or the paltry theater scene? Want me to go on? Claiming Montreal is one of the most beautiful cities in North America is delusional. You could have made that claim 3-4 decades ago but no longer. Not if you traveled through this continent. Montreal is being slowly killed by government corruption, and taxes siphon truck loads of money out of this city to keep the rest of the province afloat.

You obviously haven't been to New York, San Francisco, Boston, Vancouver, Seattle, Dallas and I gotta laugh at your asinine comment that T.O. is trash. That may be more a comment about rourself than that city.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kinda sticking me in the same "likes three color pens" basket as Bergevin is kinda insulting, bro

Bub

Nothing to do with Bergevin. The pen was merely an inspiration from your post. Sorry you see it that way.

And now I get "bro" and "bub". What's next, "dude"?

I'll take it down if you wish.

I shoulda listened to NotProko, who belittled the dank meme business.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
At this point, Molson needs the Habs in the playoffs so he has reason to keep Bergevin.
you'd think so... but if history has taught me anything... if the habs should do something that is painfully obvious ... they will disappoint you and not do what is logical.

Marc should not be the GM... yet here we are ... at the end oda day....

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Although I agree with most of your post, I think you're wrong on this point. Montreal is a terrible sports town. Great for events like the Jazz Fest and Just For Laughs, that last a short period of time but when it comes to loyalty over the long haul forget it. Just go look at the Als, Impact and lest we forget the Expos.

Quite honestly Montrealers are delusional. They believe they live in the best of cities when in fact Montreal doesn't even rank as one of the best in Canada. In international surveys Montreal constantly falls behind T.O., Vancouver and it's even starting to trail Calgary. Hab fans have latched on to the Canadiens glorious history and that's what's keeping them still interested in the Habs. But Even the Canadiens can't survive three, four years of bottom feeding. The fans will turn away. A spotty record of two playoff years with one non-playoff year they can put up with.

Look at a city like Boston that has a comparable population. They have the big five leagues: MLB, NBA, NFL, MLS, NHL. None of their teams are rumoured to go under. Well when the Molsons were trying to sell the team in the late 90s no one wanted to buy it except for a stray Yank.

Everyone you spoke to wouldn't mind a rebuild. That's anecdotal not very scientific. I'll bet you my dollars to your donuts, Molson has had a number of surveys conducted where they asked the fans if they would put up with a 3-4 year rebuild in other words being a bottom feeding team. The answer probably scared the crap out of Molson.

We get the teams we deserve. Maybe not the guys that come onto this forum but be honest with yourself. The guys who come to this forum are not representative of the Hab fans. The typical Hab fan will desert this team quicker than a rat will desert a sinking ship.
Ya, I disagree. I mean, of course some fans will tune out, some will lose interest, and they won't sell out the games. They will also sell less merchandise. Cost of tickets maybe lowered, advertising mark up probably lowered as well, less total sales, no PO revenue, but they also would save on cap. The team would probably make less money and I think that's the only reason why they don't want to do this. I don't know the financials of Molson to have a view on whether he can afford the loss over a few seasons. They don't say this though, they claim the fans can't support it, which is false.

The typical Habs fan is still around now and the team is even worse than if it were rebuilding because you have two idiots in charge who pointlessly lie, and have no direction or plan. But they still turn out because they want to see Price, or Weber, or Drouin, or Gallagher. The typical fan likes certain players, the typical fan just watches games whenever they can, which they would probably continue doing. Maybe a bit less, but they likely still tune in. And then you draft higher caliber talent, so you start marketing that, selling the kids, creating a buzz around them, etc, and the fans would be back.
If the fans can't deal with rebuild, then they wouldn't come back, but just like they did in the 2000s, the fans can come back in full support and even greater numbers.
That is what I mean by fans accepting a rebuild or not caring. I don't mean fans will keep watching and investing 100% the same interest as they did before. The better the team, the more people watch, that's only normal. So it's more about whether the owner would financially survive a rebuild. I have no reason to believe he wouldn't.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't find this a difficult question to answer at all to be honest. Geoff signed him to a 5 year extension well before he had done anything to earn it, and now he's pinching pennies. I don't believe Molson believes in MB anymore either. Terrible way to operate imo, because he's causing irrevocable damage while filling out the last couple years before he gets canned. I knew Molson wouldn't fire him with that contract in place. I think we could be stuck with him again next year too.
I don't think it's that. I believe he still trusts Bergevin because if he didn't, there is no way you keep a man in such an important position. You don't sign off on Subban for Weber, giving almost 100M to Price, trading Galchenyuk for Domi, etc. You tell the GM to sit tight and do as little as possible while you find a replacement. You don't watch him crash your team.
Even if he's stingy, it doesn't add up as the team is performing poorly, which affects revenue.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think it's that. I believe he still trusts Bergevin because if he didn't, there is no way you keep a man in such an important position. You don't sign off on Subban for Weber, giving almost 100M to Price, trading Galchenyuk for Domi, etc. You tell the GM to sit tight and do as little as possible while you find a replacement. You don't watch him crash your team.
Even if he's stingy, it doesn't add up as the team is performing poorly, which affects revenue.

We'll agree to disagree. Molson is tight, and sure it doesn't make sense to let this man devalue your product over a 15-20 million, but Geoff doesn't see the long picture imo and never has. The end of year press conference where he is interrupting MB when MB is going on about attitude is quite telling imo. He had to correct the GM on more than once occasion because he knew he wasn't making sense. I say with great confidence that if MB had 1, 2 years left on his deal he would have been shown the door.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I judged the Drouin trade from day one. Absolutely nothing to do with Drouin's play. His play only makes the trade worse. The Idiot traded from a position of weakness (left d) to acquire position of strength (wing). As if that wasn't stupid enough he moved that winger to center. And if you think it wasn't/isn't a stupid move, the Idiot himself admitted in a pc 6 months later that in an ideal world Drouin is not a center.

As for the Galchenyuk trade I like both Chucky and Domi but Max is a winger and if the Idiot was so dead set on getting rid of Galchenyuk how about packaging him for a center - something we've needed for decades.

I tend to exaggerate in this forum but when it comes to MB screwing up with those top picks you mentioned I don't exaggerate. I think I down play it.
We get it man ; you don't like Bergevin and you don't like his managing . But to repeat he's "the Idiot " day after day , post after post , sentence after sentence ...guess who we think is the idiot

Reactions: 76 and Deebs

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
But Even the Canadiens can't survive three, four years of bottom feeding. The fans will turn away. A spotty record of two playoff years with one non-playoff year they can put up with.

I'm only responding to the this part of the post since I can't really agree with it. I also find that Montreal fans are insane bandwagonners, not in the traditional way that they will jump to other teams, but take the flags during the playoffs for example; haven't seen many in over a year now right :D

None the less, as this forum can express a trend; the Habs have an incredible fan base that is largely fed up with the incompetence that is known as the management team. I for one have no issue being a terrible team for 4-5 years if that means a real plan is in place to make a push. My son is 8 months old and I would love to watch games with him when he is older and watch the resurrection of the Habs. I haven't been turned away by the Habs poor results, I have been turned away by the inaction of a management team that has no idea what they are doing.

I believe Habs fans are ready to tank, a real tank where you get rid of most of the veterans, keep a few around to at least have a voice in the room to make sure the players stay interested even with losing. Watching this team have no direction, that's hard to put up with.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm only responding to the this part of the post since I can't really agree with it. I also find that Montreal fans are insane bandwagonners, not in the traditional way that they will jump to other teams, but take the flags during the playoffs for example; haven't seen many in over a year now right :D

None the less, as this forum can express a trend; the Habs have an incredible fan base that is largely fed up with the incompetence that is known as the management team. I for one have no issue being a terrible team for 4-5 years if that means a real plan is in place to make a push. My son is 8 months old and I would love to watch games with him when he is older and watch the resurrection of the Habs. I haven't been turned away by the Habs poor results, I have been turned away by the inaction of a management team that has no idea what they are doing.

I believe Habs fans are ready to tank, a real tank where you get rid of most of the veterans, keep a few around to at least have a voice in the room to make sure the players stay interested even with losing. Watching this team have no direction, that's hard to put up with.
Most hab fans really don't mind whether we tank or not, but 99% want to move forward, without a clown for a GM.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We get it man ; you don't like Bergevin and you don't like his managing . But to repeat he's "the Idiot " day after day , post after post , sentence after sentence ...guess who we think is the idiot

You're absolutely right. I apologize.

I've shown poor writing skills by constantly using the same word. I need to expand my vocabulary to include synonyms such as imbecile, moron, fool, dunce, halfwit, cretin, dolt, simpleton, nincompoop, dumb-ass, bozo, meathead, pinhead, airhead, lamebrain, meatball, mouth-breather, dipstick.

The word "idiot" doesn't capture the whole picture. I promise to do better in my next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad