Marc Bergevin: Apocalypse Soon Edition (XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't understand. From all accounts making the playoffs is a minimum of 5-6 M in profits for the Habs (2 games at Bell Center). I mean this is money lost, I would be furious for these failures.
Nobody understands..
Nilan sounds depressed whenever he speaks about the Habs, Tony is confused, the TSN panel can't even analyze the Habs because they're always saying ''I don't know what they're doing...'', even on the french media side, Francois Gagnon just blasted Bergevin a bit saying he needs to wake up, Gaston Therrien has been on their case for a while too...

Nobody really understands.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I fully expect no major changes to the team (depth signings and backup goalie). Same old crap, he won't do anything big at the draft either. He is fully banking on Suzuki progressing and Caufield being an instant star. And if that doesn't work he will peddle some new bullshit and buy himself another 2 years.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Pretty hilarious that he is still incapable of adding a 1st round pick :laugh:

I mean, you almost would have to intentionally be trying not to add quality draft picks to go on this long a run of mediocrity without being able to add even 1 extra first rounder.

His ineptitude is actually quite fascinating to watch...

The only thing you needed to add a 1st this deadline is Blake Coleman or Barclay Goodrow two average tasteless and odorless 3rd liner. I don't know if it's the expansion coming and the pressure to win before losing a good player for nothing but man the price some GM paid for scraps this year you just can imagine what they were willing to pay for a good player with money retained for a cap dump + value. MB missed the boat imo.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Bergevin isn't rebuilding, we never were in a rebuild as some claimed for the last 2 years.
It seems that way only because it's the end results of multiple of Bergevin's failure.

Having said that, i'm not that mad cause it's exactly what i said would happen. It was really obvious.
If Bergevin returns next year, he got one more year. Nothing more that's for dawn sure now.

Now i think we'll see a switch this summer in Bergevin's so called plan.
He has the assets to play with and no more option than winning starting next year.
No more betting on prospect that might not pan out.

For Bergevin, if he stays, it's time to go all-in.
Which of course he defenders will say, "he had a plan all along see. Na na na nee boo boo"

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well...

On one hand, he’s committed to going into next season with a largely similar team and “compete for a playoff spot,” which we won’t get because there’s no way Toronto replicates a season like this again, especially with a full season of Keefe, so Tampa, Boston and Toronto have the top three spots and the metro is just ridiculous.

Which brings us to the other hand... where if we miss next season — and unless we draft Lafreniere — is going to happen, there’s no way on earth Bergevin keeps his job... right? Right? And then we can be free of him and maybe be put on the right path by someone else even if it means accepting Bergevin ruined our chance at a cup until the 2030s.

This was an awful day for him. Awful. If it were any other owner with a clue he’d be fired by now, but instead we’ll have to deal with his dumbass next season too because his boss is just as dumb / doesn’t care about the team, just his condos.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What really is the benefit in acquiring all these late round picks? Anyone actually think this will help us? We can only carry 50 contracts. How are we going to develop all these guys when we can hardly develop our 1st rounders?

Not to worry, we can just let young players go without signing them as we did this summer...

It's called the MB school of asset management. According to some it's all part of the master plan we just need to be patient with... THIS time it is bound to work :naughty:

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Obviously wanted to see a few avs games to see what a real well managed team plays like - hope Sakic gave him some tips too

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Mumbo

Aug 6, 2013
For me the last straw for him is this summer's Draft. If he still doesn't make any moves except like trading two 3rds for a 4th liner (obviously), I'm done with him.

(Yeah, I had a lot of straws).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The worst GM this team has ever had. No plan, no accountability, no education, no improvement.

I don’t know how anyone can defend this guy. I think Molson has to see it. He might be gone this off-season imo.
It's the only thing that makes sense. Bergevin was prevented from making trades because he's about to be fired.

Yeah, yeah, I know... just let me keep this hope for a few days, okay?

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Bergevin isn't rebuilding, we never were in a rebuild as some claimed for the last 2 years.
It seems that way only because it's the end results of multiple of Bergevin's failure.

Having said that, i'm not that mad cause it's exactly what i said would happen. It was really obvious.
If Bergevin returns next year, he got one more year. Nothing more that's for dawn sure now.

Now i think we'll see a switch this summer in Bergevin's so called plan.
He has the assets to play with and no more option than winning starting next year.
No more betting on prospect that might not pan out.

For Bergevin, if he stays, it's time to go all-in.

I hope he does, if only because a highly motivated GM will either focus and make the necessary moves to compete or because it'll fail spectacularly and we'll draft high for a few years.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
It's the only thing that makes sense. Bergevin was prevented from making trades because he's about to be fired.

Yeah, yeah, I know... just let me keep this hope for a few days, okay?
This is what I'm telling myself too lol. It's the only thing that makes sense...... Even though I know it isn't true.

Reactions: Lshap

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I truly think the main reason he did not make any significant trade today is because he is a dead man walking. He knows he needs improvement and somehow making the playoff with this core could save him (at least for a year) otherwise all his 8 years and running at this club and his "master" plan is a failure. (Btw I already think its a failure, but apparently his Boss think otherwise....)

He has accepted mediocrity and status quo in a pure selfish way (and natural way) because he is a fraud and another year missing the playoff will be his last straw. He has fooled Molson for so many years but if this "great" core miss playoff 5 out of 6 years then it is pretty obvious that they might not be that great.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What really is the benefit in acquiring all these late round picks? Anyone actually think this will help us? We can only carry 50 contracts. How are we going to develop all these guys when we can hardly develop our 1st rounders?
Apparently from what I got from the post deadline press conference is that Bergevin has a fetish for darts...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They don't have the right mix of players, top heavy at forward in the top 6 and it's pretty average after that...now those top players making big money, GM has to juggle with a tight cap to fix the rest of his roster, drafting hasn't been super strong either so they haven't been able to supplement their roster that way.

He's gone out and tried the euro free agent route and it's brought varying degrees of success.

Not trying to sound revisionist, alot of people said it at the time but signing Tavares was not needed. He fell into their lap, they would have been prudent to keep the process they had undertaken, on the same path.

They peaked early and it coincided with Tavares being a free agent.

They'll have to sacrifice talent to get better role players throughout their roster.
Honestly I would rather be in the Leafs situation than the habs. The pieces are there but the balance is not. They also have some decent depth.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I truly think the main reason he did not make any significant trade today is because he is a dead man walking. He knows he needs improvement and somehow making the playoff with this core could save him (at least for a year) otherwise all his 8 years and running at this club and his "master" plan is a failure. (Btw I already think its a failure, but apparently his Boss think otherwise....)

He has accepted mediocrity and status quo in a pure selfish way (and natural way) because he is a fraud and another year missing the playoff will be his last straw. He has fooled Molson for so many years but if this "great" core miss playoff 5 out of 6 years then it is pretty obvious that they might not be that great.
There is no way Molson isn't largely involved with this teams inability to commit to a direction. If he wasn't involved, Bergevin would have been fired already.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
MB kept repeating how much it is important to battle for the playoff next year.

probably a direct order from Molson.

A playoff spot is the new Grail. Not The Cup.

- and it’s eluding this GM.

Selke and Pollock are looking down on this mind-boggling boondoggle in utter disbelief.

Reactions: habsfan891
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad