Maple Leafs "window" officially closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They just won their division and were a ~105 point team the last several years. They undoubtedly had a window.

It's firmly shut now.

how the hell is it firmly shut? A lot of people are saying this team is worse this year. I honestly don’t believe that. I’m a Leafs fan and I think the team is better this year than it was last year. Realistically we only lost Bogosian, Thornton, Foligno and Hyman. Foligno did nothing here cause he was injured.

We’ve added Ritchie, Kase, Bunting. Which isn’t bad. These 3 if healthy could out produce Thornton, Foligno and Hyman while bringing more Jam. Losing Bogosian sucks but Liljegren or Sandin steps in.

how are we really worse? People on HF boards just love hating on Leafs because it’s fun. We are literally the same exact team minus a few guys

Reactions: Yackiberg8

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If I were them, I'd bite the bullet and move Tavares in a "losing trade" and take the short term hit in order to create longer term flexibility and be a potentially better team in two years. They got three year years before Matthews can just pack it up and leave. Destination 2024 should be the goal.

As it is, Dubas is behaving as though they just got varianced out of the postseason and he has a Cup contender on his hands, but when the team as constructed has never won a single postseason series, that line of reasoning is a bit dicey. This isn't like Tampa making multiple deep runs before getting shockingly swept a couple years ago.

he has to waive his NMC and it’s not happening. His wife has a practice in Toronto, his family is here. Why would Tavares waive

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
We’ve added Ritchie, Kase, Bunting. Which isn’t bad. These 3 if healthy could out produce Thornton, Foligno and Hyman while bringing more Jam. Losing Bogosian sucks but Liljegren or Sandin steps in.

Counting on Bunting to reproduce 26% shooting%?????

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You're the one who mentioned a hot streak.

When the season ended, they were on a downward trend.
Lol. But yet it’s reasonable to completely disregard the actual hot streak. Got it. Who do you think you’re fooling? Post the rest of the record since keefe took over

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Lol. But yet it’s reasonable to completely disregard the actual hot streak. Got it. Who do you think you’re fooling? Post the rest of the record since keefe took over

How far back do you want to go by shifting the goal post? 1967?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
How far back do you want to go by shifting the goal post? 1967?
Another real zinger. Man you’re clever. Where do you come up with this stuff. Just owning the leafs all day long!

How about a separate record pre and post keefe and a total. Seems pretty reasonable to me (I’ll do it for you).

Under Babcock 9-10-4
Under Keefe 27-15-4
Total 36-25-9

unfortunately it doesn’t paint the narrative you want so you’ll probably resort to a petty chirp to leaf fans because you’re not going to add anything of substance to the conversation. Par for the course.

Reactions: NinjaKick

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

If he scores you 15-20 goals that’s a win. He’s going to get Top 6 minutes. You’re telling me he can’t match Hymans production?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
If he scores you 15-20 goals that’s a win. He’s going to get Top 6 minutes. You’re telling me he can’t match Hymans production?

He’s not going to score on 25% again.

If you’re literally the same team as last year, which is what you said, how can you also say that the team is improved?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

And what is your point? You keep saying that like it matters. it doesn’t matter, even if his shooting percentage goes down to 10%. He’s going to get you 15-20 goals given his ice time and opportunity. He’s scored that many at every level. What’s the average shooting percentage of 15-20 goal scorers across the league?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Zach Hyman had 15 goals on a 13% shooting percentage; Bunting is more than capable of doing that. Maybe even Kase out produces Hyman if Healthy or Ritchie

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
And what is your point? You keep saying that like it matters. it doesn’t matter, even if his shooting percentage goes down to 10%. He’s going to get you 15-20 goals given his ice time and opportunity. He’s scored that many at every level. What’s the average shooting percentage of 15-20 goal scorers across the league?

Shooting at that rate isn’t sustainable and it’s not realistic to keep expecting him to produce at that rate.

You can say it doesn’t matter, doesn’t make it true.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

If you’re literally the same team as last year, which is what you said, how can you also say that the team is improved?

I said the team is better this year, they are now better built for playoff success. They are a bigger and stronger team than last year. I think we have more balance especially if Kase and bunting hit and Robertson finds his way into the line up. Hyman is one of the most overrated players in the NHL right now. We were one of the top teams in the NHL last year, unfortunate what happened in the playoffs but the window has far from closed

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Shooting at that rate isn’t sustainable and it’s not realistic to keep expecting him to produce at that rate.

You can say it doesn’t matter, doesn’t make it true.

Like I said, if he goes down from 26% to 10-15% that is likely to get you 15-20 goals. So what exactly is your point? Over the course of a 82 game schedule Bunting will likely get you 15 even at a lower shooting percentage what part of that aren’t you getting.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
At one point, this was a promising team. Looking at the projecting lineup next season, this is a team that might not even make the playoffs. Their refusal to move any big salary in the flat cap has backfired and is mind boggling. They lack any high end prospects with Sandin and Robertson likely on the roster and with 3 picks this year and 3 next year, that won't change.

Utter and complete failure by Shanahan and the rest of the front office turning a promising group into a top heavy roster with AHL depth.

Hate the Leafs but sorry they still have the 2nd best player in the league who might score 60. Who else has that?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What are you talking about? They got some guys named Bunting, Kampf, Kase, if that doesn’t scream Stanley Cup, I don’t know what does.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

I’ll take Ritchie, Bunting, Kampf, Kase, Sandin over Hyman, Galchenyuk, Thornton, Brooks, Bogosian quite easily.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ll take Ritchie, Bunting, Kampf, Kase, Sandin over Hyman, Galchenyuk, Thornton, Brooks, Bogosian quite easily.
To be fair though most fans say the same thing every year. Until the new toys start to break and then they aren’t quite so good. I’m sure you loved the adds last year and the year before too.
I think the Leafs have taken a bit of a step back with those changes (especially Hyman and Bogosian) but as others have said it’s the big 4 that are the problem so far not the depth.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
To be fair though most fans say the same thing every year. Until the new toys start to break and then they aren’t quite so good. I’m sure you loved the adds last year and the year before too.
I think the Leafs have taken a bit of a step back with those changes (especially Hyman and Bogosian) but as others have said it’s the big 4 that are the problem so far not the depth.
It will be interesting to see. I didn’t like the addition of the older players last year myself. I think the bottom 6 forwards will be much better this year.

The defence and goalies haven’t changed much but I think Sandin playing every night will be a boost.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I wouldn't say officially closed, but I don't consider them a real favorite.

They probably should have moved Marner for a lesser and cheaper player who fills a different need and created cap space - maybe someone along the lines of a Garland. Then, they could've gone after guys like Goodrow, Coleman, and a better goaltender.

They obviously have the high end talent, but I'm still not crazy about the way their team is constructed. I feel like Dubas is afraid to make big changes which is surprising as they haven't won a playoff round.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Exactly this. Had to hear countless time last year how Thornton was still a first lone player and bogo was still a 2nd pair d man yada yada yada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad