Maple Leafs "window" officially closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Hey, thanks for asking. It’s been going good, although I’ve been working lots. But it’s good money. Weather has been kinda shit though. What about you? You catch any of the Olympics?

Great a lot of landscape projects in the backyard. Using the pool a lot. Unfortunately way too much rain but you appreciate the days it doesn't that much more. I also have been working a lot but it has mostly been night shifts as im a shift worker and it has definitely made following the Olympics a lot easier as a result.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Great a lot of landscape projects in the backyard. Using the pool a lot. Unfortunately way too much rain but you appreciate the days it doesn't that much more. I also have been working a lot but it has mostly been night shifts as im a shift worker and it has definitely made following the Olympics a lot easier as a result.
Thanks for getting back to me and glad you’re doing well. Not nearly enough rain over here. But funny that I have a baseball game tonight and there’s a thunderstorm watch.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If you're going to mention 2 different timelines, why not mention that the Leafs finished
ahead of BOS and TB, since FLA has improved.
One time line
2020 season.
When divisions were normal and the leafs had unto play the 24 teams in the states too.
Not just the six light weights in Canada

Reactions: JAK

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Can't wait for the inevitable mid season thread calling Dubas an idiot for these signings.

And the posts will be from the same posters who say these signings will get them the cup.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Lol. But yet it’s reasonable to completely disregard the actual hot streak. Got it. Who do you think you’re fooling? Post the rest of the record since keefe took over
Let's get to this point by point:

1. This sub-thread started when someone mentionned that the Leafs might not have made the playoffs that season if it had not been interrupted.

2. You came in stating that they were on a hot streak when it was interrupted.

3. It was not my memory of it. I checked and posted their record for the last 27 games, confirming that they were on a downward path.

4. You got mad for some reason.

My belief is that they would have gone back on a winning path and made the playoffs. But we'll never know, will we ?

Their record under Keefe is available for anyone interested in it.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Another real zinger. Man you’re clever. Where do you come up with this stuff. Just owning the leafs all day long!

How about a separate record pre and post keefe and a total. Seems pretty reasonable to me (I’ll do it for you).

Under Babcock 9-10-4
Under Keefe 27-15-4
Total 36-25-9

unfortunately it doesn’t paint the narrative you want so you’ll probably resort to a petty chirp to leaf fans because you’re not going to add anything of substance to the conversation. Par for the course.
All that shows is that they started on a hot streak under Keefe (15-4).

But they were not/not on a hot streak when the season was interrupted...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It will be interesting to see. I didn’t like the addition of the older players last year myself. I think the bottom 6 forwards will be much better this year.

The defence and goalies haven’t changed much but I think Sandin playing every night will be a boost.
The one who played 14:40 per game during the season and 13:13 during the playoffs ?

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
It goes deeper than what's on the surface. They didn't do themselves any favors by rushing their rebuild a few years ago. They were on track to be another legitimate powerhouse through drafting but as soon as they drafted Matthews they changed course and decided they were contenders. That is where things went south. They started making bad signings and bad trades in an attempt to fast track things and it didn't go as planned. Had they stayed the course they'd be in a much different and far better position than they are now.
To be fair, that's just reverting to form. This is what the Leafs did under every group since Ballard finally got chased out, with Lou now appearing to have been an anomaly.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Toronto's biggest obstacle is the tough division they are in. Still a contender IMO. Too much talent on O and a solid if not spectacular D group and decent goaltending.

So solid that they always take them to the very end of the first round and never further

Teams like TB, Carolina, Boston and NYI have a solid/spectacular D group. Toronto is nowhere near that level

Mar 20, 2010
Curious why everyone in the hockey media is so sure that this is Dubas and the core's 'last chance'? How's it different from last season?

What does 'last chance' even mean? It's the last chance to get through one round? So if they make it to the 2nd round but get crushed, it's all good?

Even if they fail to make the playoffs, why wouldn't they run it back again and again until their stars leave? What's the alternative?

What would the fallout for a failed season even be? They can fire Dubas but JT will still have a NMC and they aren't trading AM, are they?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Curious why everyone in the hockey media is so sure that this is Dubas and the core's 'last chance'? How's it different from last season?

What does 'last chance' even mean? It's the last chance to get through one round? So if they make it to the 2nd round but get crushed, it's all good?

Even if they fail to make the playoffs, why wouldn't they run it back again and again until their stars leave? What's the alternative?

What would the fallout for a failed season even be? They can fire Dubas but JT will still have a NMC and they aren't trading AM, are they?
With respect to Dubas, I think they mean last chance to prove his ideas how to run the team were right, before he’s fired. For the team I guess people expect the core to be broken up with another flame out

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I wouldn't say officially closed, but I don't consider them a real favorite.

They probably should have moved Marner for a lesser and cheaper player who fills a different need and created cap space - maybe someone along the lines of a Garland. Then, they could've gone after guys like Goodrow, Coleman, and a better goaltender.

They obviously have the high end talent, but I'm still not crazy about the way their team is constructed. I feel like Dubas is afraid to make big changes which is surprising as they haven't won a playoff round.

Hell, they could have kept Hyman if Marner was traded AND added one of those 2. But they didn't. Oh well. Maybe next decade the window will open again.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
So solid that they always take them to the very end of the first round and never further

Teams like TB, Carolina, Boston and NYI have a solid/spectacular D group. Toronto is nowhere near that level
They never get past the first round because of their offense, not the defense

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
With respect to Dubas, I think they mean last chance to prove his ideas how to run the team were right, before he’s fired. For the team I guess people expect the core to be broken up with another flame out

If they break up the core it will be Dubas who architects it. He was handicapped his first few years here by Lou's bad contracts, Hunter's bad drafting, and the flat salary cap.

Dubas' drafting and off-ice management make him a lot more valuable to the organization than all the internet critics realize.

If he ever does leave the GM role because of failing to get over the hump in the playoffs, he'll move up in the organization to president of hockey ops.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Let's get to this point by point:

1. This sub-thread started when someone mentionned that the Leafs might not have made the playoffs that season if it had not been interrupted.

2. You came in stating that they were on a hot streak when it was interrupted.

3. It was not my memory of it. I checked and posted their record for the last 27 games, confirming that they were on a downward path.

4. You got mad for some reason.

My belief is that they would have gone back on a winning path and made the playoffs. But we'll never know, will we ?

Their record under Keefe is available for anyone interested in it.
You literally went back as many games as was convenient to find the worst possible record, instead of just putting their entire record out.

You can nit pick a stat all you want, but don’t try to ride out on a white horse because of it. It’s still a cherry picked stat (and you know that)

The90

Feb 27, 2017
All that shows is that they started on a hot streak under Keefe (15-4).

But they were not/not on a hot streak when the season was interrupted...
Totally. And under keefe once that evened out, what was the total record? Oh right, don’t want to post that. Doesn’t paint the picture you want it to

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
how the hell is it firmly shut? A lot of people are saying this team is worse this year. I honestly don’t believe that. I’m a Leafs fan and I think the team is better this year than it was last year. Realistically we only lost Bogosian, Thornton, Foligno and Hyman. Foligno did nothing here cause he was injured.

We’ve added Ritchie, Kase, Bunting. Which isn’t bad. These 3 if healthy could out produce Thornton, Foligno and Hyman while bringing more Jam. Losing Bogosian sucks but Liljegren or Sandin steps in.

how are we really worse? People on HF boards just love hating on Leafs because it’s fun. We are literally the same exact team minus a few guys
Don't know if they are worse.
Kase is nothing to write home about by the way. Had 4 concussions, came back and got his fifth on practically his first shift.
Ritchie was invisible against the Islanders. Who the hell is Bunting?
Losing Hyman will show.
They still don't have the goaltending.
May not be worse, but they ain't a serious contender.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I think you're vastly underrating what Hyman brings to the top six, and how it's not so easy to just plug in any "potential 15 goal guy" into his spot and see no difference in performance for that line.
I think you’re vastly overrating what Hyman brings. Much harder to get a Matthews or Marner skill set. It would’ve been nice to keep Hyman but it’s not a huge loss and our forward group is better overall now imo. We’ll all find out the answer soon enough.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I wouldn't say officially closed, but I don't consider them a real favorite.

They probably should have moved Marner for a lesser and cheaper player who fills a different need and created cap space - maybe someone along the lines of a Garland. Then, they could've gone after guys like Goodrow, Coleman, and a better goaltender.

They obviously have the high end talent, but I'm still not crazy about the way their team is constructed. I feel like Dubas is afraid to make big changes which is surprising as they haven't won a playoff round.
He's going down with the ship.....along with Shanny

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Don't know if they are worse.
Kase is nothing to write home about by the way. Had 4 concussions, came back and got his fifth on practically his first shift.
Ritchie was invisible against the Islanders. Who the hell is Bunting?
Losing Hyman will show.
They still don't have the goaltending.
May not be worse, but they ain't a serious contender.
The “who the hell is Bunting” crowd are just outting themselves as casual fans so we know not to take your opinions or comments seriously.

Reactions: francis246
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad