Maple Leafs "window" officially closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think there are 8 better teams at East now, so it will be hilarious if they miss the playoffs.

At least they can't beat TBL, FLO or BOS anyhow in Atlantic and Metro takes 5 spots for the playoffs.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Think there are 8 better teams at East now, so it will be hilarious if they miss the playoffs.

At least they can't beat TBL, FLO or BOS anyhow in Atlantic and Metro takes 5 spots for the playoffs.
Thats what Im betting on.
It aint a far stretch.
When Covid hit leafs were tied with Florida, 81 points. 2 pts ahead of the Rangers ha!
Way behind Boston and Tbay.
Florida has improved big time since then.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
is this thread serious? hate defending the leafs but they are a top team with young superstars. as long as they keep the young superstars they can build many different versions until something works. the window closing would be when they trade matthews or he retires. silly to think otherwise.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
It aint a far stretch.
When Covid hit leafs were tied with Florida, 81 points. 2 pts ahead of the Rangers ha!
They were also on a hot streak after firing their coach for an abysmal start. Context. And have been one of the top teams defensively since then. It’ll be an interesting year for sure.

I’m interested in how Florida and Boston do this year. Is Florida a flash in the pan or are they for real? Does Boston finally take a step back without Tuuka and Krejci? Those are big losses, I know they signed Hall, but he’s not a centre.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
They were also on a hot streak after firing their coach for an abysmal start. Context. And have been one of the top teams defensively since then. It’ll be an interesting year for sure.

I’m interested in how Florida and Boston do this year. Is Florida a flash in the pan or are they for real? Does Boston finally take a step back without Tuuka and Krejci? Those are big losses, I know they signed Hall, but he’s not a centre.
Check your sources.

They were 12-11-4 in their last 27 games before the league shut down.

Far from a hot streak.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

Not worried about goaltending at all, Ullmark/Swayman will be a great tandem. Losing Krejci is definitely a problem, we have one top 6 center and will again rely on his line to carry the rest of the team.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
is this thread serious? hate defending the leafs but they are a top team with young superstars. as long as they keep the young superstars they can build many different versions until something works. the window closing would be when they trade matthews or he retires. silly to think otherwise.

Naw, we lost Hyman, we are obviously screwed for the foreseeable future.

:sarcasm:

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Uh.

A majority of Leafs fans have been planning for the cup since Tavares released his childhood bedtime photo.

Even a national hockey magazine said so, it's only a matter of HOW MANY.

s-l400.jpg
This guy just hates the Leafs haha, it amazes me that a team that has been this unsuccessful can get under people’s skin to this extent. Dude they just had another embarrassing loss, if you hate them this much just enjoy it, it’s getting weird how insistent you are throwing digs at the organization

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I don't believe in windows....

That said. The Leafs aren't constructed very well. And Dubas keeps doubling down on it for some weird reason.
With Tavares and Muzzin aging, it won't get any easier considering that there aren't too many game changing prospects knocking on the door (I count 0 but a few guys are somewhat promising I guess).

Not a shot, but since your team can't get over a higher hump, is your team not constructed well?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Agreed. Shanahan's ego sending Lou out of town and promoting some young analytic "supergenius" was a bad move. Dubas doesn't have the "soft skills" you need to be a good GM even though I'm sure he's good with analytics and stuff. Just a careerist, yes man, people pleaser. Seems like a nice guy, wants people to like him, doesn't want to make players, fans or media mad. But you gotta have a certain cutthroat killer instinct to be a great GM and I don't think Dubas has it.

Lou's team scrapes into the playoffs. Just a few more losses, and the pitchforks would be out for him.
Would you protect Matt Martin?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It aint a far stretch.

If you're going to mention 2 different timelines, why not mention that the Leafs finished
ahead of BOS and TB, since FLA has improved.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Leafs have (I guess) a small sliver of a window until Matthews moves on. Is that two more years?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Its 3. and don't count your chickens.
Might only be two kicks at the Can though. Can’t just let Matthews leave as a UFA. Better to have two years, and then get a good trade return. Like what CBJ did with Jones. Doing that would shorten the rebuild time.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He's going home baby! 2023!
Coyotes will have cap space to offer him a big dollar, that’s for sure. Plus, with all the draft picks they are collecting, they will have the assets to trade for Matthews if they want to go that route too. That’s why I say the Leafs have two more tries. With Mathews leaving then their window will be closed, and a rebuild needed.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Coyotes will have cap space to offer him a big dollar, that’s for sure. Plus, with all the draft picks they are collecting, they will have the assets to trade for Matthews if they want to go that route too. That’s why I say the Leafs have two more tries. With Mathews leaving then their window will be closed, and a rebuild needed.

As always, its never going to be this dire.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
True, but that gives the Leafs 3 years to rebuild and then bring in ?McDavid to complete it. They could reopen the window more quickly that way.

Gotta trade marner and Mathews. Get what you can for them and use Tavares to teach 29 year old mcdavid how to be a leader. Lol

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why would Matthews go to the Coyotes of all teams? I mean he could leave after his contract just like any other UFA but I’m not sure why people are just focusing on him. These shorter term deals are going to become the norm.
So every star could potentially leave if they aren’t happy where the team is at. It’s not just Matthews.

Reactions: Pyrophorus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad