Speculation: Maple Leafs Management Discussion/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disgruntled Observer*

They should print Clarksons contract on pink paper, and that should be the back side of Nonis's Pink slip.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dave no no and RC are being set up to be fall guys, scape goat firings all in the name of change , improvement and that all elusive culture change.

They will try and implement a possession, cycle type game and it will fail, we don't have the horses to play that style.

Once our starting tender only has a good season ".915 sv %" and we don't end up with the 3rd best OT/shoot out record in the NHL they will plummet into a top 4/5 draft slot.

One can only hope that the inevitable happens before the trade deadline for a change, just so our GM does not screw up even more.

The best silver lining to this season is the very strong draft class coming up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So, I was thinking, some "facts"

1. Brendan Shanahan said he wanted Carlyle to coach out his final year. That's it. There was no plan for an extension. Carlyle wanted either his assistants back, or an extension. So Shanny tossed on an extra year.

2. When Kyle Dubas was hired, it was mentioned that the Leafs were planning on hiring him next summer, but had to hire him now because other teams were lining up to get him.

So.... is next summer the end of Carlyle/Nonis? It appears Carlyle 100%.

If Shanahan really wanted Dubas, why was he going to wait a year? Why were Poulin and Loiselle, two guys Nonis has worked closely with through the draft, and free agency, along with the past 4 or 5 years, so easily fireable. Why were both fired to bring one guy in. Why not just bring Dubas in?

My theory, is next year Shanahan is planning to bring in his team of management. Which appears to start with Dubas, potentially as the GM.

leafstilldeath*

Any speculation on who the guys he'd be bringing in?

My Guess:

He himself will act as a president/GM unless Dubas is ready especially in terms of negotiations with other teams in trades

Coach:
Shanny will undoubtedly will look to bring in Babcock. Babcock has won everything a higher salary package might entice him and MLSE can afford to cough up the moolah

Players:
Shanny probably identifies with players that play like he did. Expect some roster changes, however, slowly and steadily. I doubt shanny will readily trade 1st round picks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Any speculation on who the guys he'd be bringing in?

Mike Babcock we will be hearing all year, until (if) he signs an extension with Detroit. Todd McLellan is the other name. It was believed (I believe both Dreger and BMac said this) that if either of those guys became available this summer, Carlyle would be gone.

Now, next summer, it will be the same story. If either are available, Leafs will go after them, likely Babcock before McLellan. If neither became available, or for some reason we don't get them (it's been rumored Babcock could head to Michigan U) Steve Spott could be the guy to take over.

GM wise, Dubas is the obvious answer. He will have a year to learn how things work, he's already been a General Manager in hockey, so there isn't a whole lot to be learned, but there is some. Shanahan even could be the guy to take over as well, and Dubas will be his "Nonis" like Burke had.

OR there are outside guys, Kris Draper, Rob Blake, who Shanahan knows and has worked with before.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Shanahan preaches a possession style of play. What does Babcock preach as a coach and has been well illustrated with the Wings...a possession style of play. If there is one coach that fits this team to a tee it's Mike Babcock. We have the skill, the speed to really take what Babcock coaches and be successful with it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Carlyle from the beginning was never a good fit for the roster of this team. He likes sandpaper, he likes the Orr's of the world to grind it out and play a physical game, where we suit a more possession game and the style of play is a reason why we've failed. Babcock would take advantage of Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul. etc. I would love to have him here.

Durkin67

Carlyle from the beginning was never a good fit for the roster of this team. He likes sandpaper, he likes the Orr's of the world to grind it out and play a physical game, where we suit a more possession game and the style of play is a reason why we've failed. Babcock would take advantage of Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul. etc. I would love to have him here.
kessels game isn't at all based on possession, its based on opportunism. Carlyle preaches possession as a means of creating quality looks. He likes physicality because that's what it takes to win puck battles and maintain or reacquire control of the puck.
Kadri would benefit from a coach like. Babcock. Kessel is a run n gunner. That's the opposite of possession.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
kessels game isn't at all based on possession, its based on opportunism. Carlyle preaches possession as a means of creating quality looks. He likes physicality because that's what it takes to win puck battles and maintain or reacquire control of the puck.
Kadri would benefit from a coach like. Babcock. Kessel is a run n gunner. That's the opposite of possession.

Carlyle is not at all a coach about possession, if he is I haven't seen anything like that or he is utterly pathetic at coaching it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kessel hasn't looked like a possession player because he's never been coached in that type of system before. Not in Boston and not here. The Leafs have rarely if ever preached a possession style, Quinn didn't, Maurice didn't, Wilson didn't, and Carlyle hasn't.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Go look at the way Chicago plays and the way Detroit plays. Wayyyy different than how the Leafs have played the last few years. Those are possession systems coached effectively. Carlyle doesn't preach possession he preaches a dump and chase game, and physicality.

Durkin67

Carlyle is not at all a coach about possession, if he is I haven't seen anything like that or he is utterly pathetic at coaching it.
...or, the team sucks at applying it.which is actually the case here.

Durkin67

Kessel hasn't looked like a possession player because he's never been coached in that type of system before. Not in Boston and not here. The Leafs have rarely if ever preached a possession style, Quinn didn't, Maurice didn't, Wilson didn't, and Carlyle hasn't.

Incorrect. Possession is EXACTLY the kind of strategy Carlyle asks his players to play.Nonis concurs. You haven't been paying attention it seems because the majorify of criticism RC takes is for his "unwillingness" to adapt to the players and let then defy the odds and play run n gun hockey.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Based on the most popular metrics for measuring possession (ie corsi), Kessel has positive possession numbers.....

Carlyle certainly talked about possession a lot this year, but was clearly incapable of adjusting his coaching systems to try and get better at it.

Durkin67

Based on the most popular metrics for measuring possession (ie corsi), Kessel has positive possession numbers.....

Carlyle certainly talked about possession a lot this year, but was clearly incapable of adjusting his coaching systems to try and get better at it.
I see it a little differently. When the team bought in, played a heavy forecheck game and moved their feet, they possessed the puck more and gave themselves a chance. The problem was they couldn't follow the blueprint consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Shanahan preaches a possession style of play. What does Babcock preach as a coach and has been well illustrated with the Wings...a possession style of play. If there is one coach that fits this team to a tee it's Mike Babcock. We have the skill, the speed to really take what Babcock coaches and be successful with it.

Based on what? Shanny was a pretty hard-nosed player in his day, and as far as I can recall, he has zero experience coaching / managing a hockey team.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Dubas will have 0 experience until you actually give him the job...think about it. You're just going to not give him the job because of his age and his experience in the NHL? How about getting a new approach and trying something different instead of the same old country club mentality this league has. The Red Sox who are one of the "most profitable sports clubs in the world" and they hired a young Epstein and all he did was win championships. Dubas is smart, he built a small market club with a great foundation and a modern approach. What's more important is the way he looks at the game and approaches it from a cap stand point and evaluating value in trades and players, his experience is obviously small (after all it's his first major job) so why should that hinder him.

I bet this guy has more balls than Nonis does when it comes to making trades and giving out contracts. Definitely don't see Dubas just handing out 7 year contracts to 3rd line players...yeah...NHL experience sure pays off with dumbass decisions like that.

Very short sighted and ignorant. What many seem to forget, is that this organization generates hundreds of millions of dollars, and there are many shareholders and executives that are expecting that to continue, as well as the revenue the Leafs help the NHL with as well. With these facts in mind, you would expect these shareholders to approve such a lucrative franchise being run by inexperienced management? that's beyond ridiculous.

GM's of today often spend many years under past GM's cutting their teeth, cultivating relationships and learning the job. Its funny the thought that the GM;s job is primarily trading players. There is a lot more to it than just that. When Burke was with the Leafs he had the deepest front office staff in the NHL, as there are no CBA or cap restrictions on front office staff. I expect MLSE to do the same.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Is Nonis on his way out?

Sure thing he is. Much like death and taxes being inevitable, NHL G.M.s are hired to be fired. It's only a matter of time.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wouldn't count on the people "we know" being hired. Dubas was a left field hire in the way that no one really saw the Leafs (or Shanahan) hiring him. i think anyone could be up for grabs.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Dave no no and RC are being set up to be fall guys, scape goat firings all in the name of change , improvement and that all elusive culture change.

They will try and implement a possession, cycle type game and it will fail, we don't have the horses to play that style.

Once our starting tender only has a good season ".915 sv %" and we don't end up with the 3rd best OT/shoot out record in the NHL they will plummet into a top 4/5 draft slot.

One can only hope that the inevitable happens before the trade deadline for a change, just so our GM does not screw up even more.

The best silver lining to this season is the very strong draft class coming up.
RC is for a dump and chase type of game. In other words, he never was a possession-driving coach. The truth is our roster is actually built for possession, but with speed. If utilised well, we should be outscoring our opposition.

The idea that Kessel isn't a puck possession player, because he plays at higher speeds is flawed. While, it is true that he's not going to slow things down, but when it comes to working the puck...he's elite.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Exactly. Even Boston system is not predicated on puck possession. Their game is rather dependent on a tight-checking, grinding game which is obviously join to limit puck possession. On the other hand, Chicago is a great example of puck possession with playmakers like Krueger on the bottom-six.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My Guess:

He himself will act as a president/GM unless Dubas is ready especially in terms of negotiations with other teams in trades

Coach:
Shanny will undoubtedly will look to bring in Babcock. Babcock has won everything a higher salary package might entice him and MLSE can afford to cough up the moolah

Players:
Shanny probably identifies with players that play like he did. Expect some roster changes, however, slowly and steadily. I doubt shanny will readily trade 1st round picks

The only thing I have with this Babcock thing is that Shanahan absolutely hated him...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The only thing I have with this Babcock thing is that Shanahan absolutely hated him...

It's about respect, not liking, or not liking someone.

Know how many players hated Pat Burns, Scott Bowman etc? A lot. but every players respected them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad