Speculation: Maple Leafs Management Discussion/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
I realize Shanny will give Nonis the benefit of an entire season before he makes his decision. But does anyone else think it's only a matter of time before he announces a new GM and ends Burke's touch on the managerial side of the team? Or do you think they work well together and he will keep him around.

Ace88*

Nah. He's proven to be pretty reliable in a support role so i think there will be a reshuffling of positions if anything.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
if we get off to a bad start or have another collapse, carlyle and nonis will be gone.

time will tell .....shanny is trying to give carlyle and nonis the best support team he can ,they obviously convinced shanahan that they believe in this group ,shanny is showing class by letting them put up or shut up
nonis shouldve been canned with burke ,

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
time will tell .....shanny is trying to give carlyle and nonis the best support team he can ,they obviously convinced shanahan that they believe in this group ,shanny is showing class by letting them put up or shut up
nonis shouldve been canned with burke ,

I agree too, Nonis wasn't very good in Vancouver as a GM either.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm not convinced that Nonis is strong in a lead role.

I think he is a strong hockey guy, and well regarded amongst his peers, but I think his comfort zone lies more as a behind the scenes guy, out of the spotlight and working deals.

I see him better suited to an Assistant G.M. role, and if he is removed as the G.M., I can see Shanahan keeping him for that kind of a role.

Whether he accepts it or not is a different story, especially as I'm sure Burke would have him back in a heart-beat.

We'll see.

BB

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010

I think he is a strong hockey guy, and well regarded amongst his peers, but I think his comfort zone lies more as a behind the scenes guy, out of the spotlight and working deals.

I see him better suited to an Assistant G.M. role, and if he is removed as the G.M., I can see Shanahan keeping him for that kind of a role.

Whether he accepts it or not is a different story, especially as I'm sure Burke would have him back in a heart-beat.

We'll see.

BB

I would agree. Shanahan is President and Nonis is GM but I think it is more like Shanahan is Gm and Nonis is Senior Assistant Gm or something like that. I don't hink Nonis is comfortable being the "face" of the Leafs. When Shanahan talks about putting people in roles they are strong/comfortable in I think this is part of it.

I think you will see Shanahan being the "face" of the Leafs while Nonis will sort of fade into the background as to what the public sees. Nonis is an intelligent and calculating hockey guy and an asset for the Leafs. The titles may not change but i think the roles will evolve.

I think I use I think a lot, I think.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I realize Shanny will give Nonis the benefit of an entire season before he makes his decision. But does anyone else think it's only a matter of time before he announces a new GM and ends Burke's touch on the managerial side of the team? Or do you think they work well together and he will keep him around.

Each passing day makes it worse for Nonis job imo. I fell like any day Shanny could pull the plug. I feel bad for Nonis. Although he would still get paid. Things are clearly changing in operations side of things.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013

We'll see.

BB

wouldn't burke have him back as an assistant though? I think I am happy if Nonis is for all purposes an assistant GM even if his title doesn't match that...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
"Strong hockey guys" use advanced stats and don't bleed top 6 players or use the wrong buyouts or spend draft picks with reckless abandon.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
As soon as Dubas rebuilds the front office staff, we will have no use for Nonis anymore.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
As soon as Dubas rebuilds the front office staff, we will have no use for Nonis anymore.

It is still very much an old boys club in the NHL. Shanahan knows many hockey people but Nonis has the contacts and "ins" after working with them for many years. You will still need somebody to show you in the door of the club.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
It is still very much an old boys club in the NHL. Shanahan knows many hockey people but Nonis has the contacts and "ins" after working with them for many years. You will still need somebody to show you in the door of the club.

Which is why hes here until Dubas is shown the ropes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Shans had regular interaction with all the top guys directly by way of his last position at... NHL HQ.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Likely, Nonis is training Shanahan in the art of being a GM. He is Shans Tutor and doesn't make major decisions I am sure.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
My personal theory is that this is a development year and chance to see how the organization works. Which means a high pick and an excuse to fire Nonis, Kasper and Carlyle, and get good replacements.

Greg Brady @bradyfan590 · Jul 22
Told explicitly Shanahan had hoped to clean house in front office & hire Dubas NEXT summer. Another Eastern team was set to hire him now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
My personal theory is that this is a development year and chance to see how the organization works. Which means a high pick and an excuse to fire Nonis, Kasper and Carlyle, and get good replacements.

who is Kasper?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Which is why hes here until Dubas is shown the ropes.

What?

The guy just got a the job and we're already touting him:help:. He may well be the eventual successor, But Nonis just signed a 5 year extension given to him by Leiweke last summer.

Also you still need to have some one with managerial experience at the NHL level and it's something Dubas may not acquire even in the next 5 years. We've done the young rookie GM routine twice before; And if we do it again the same result could follow.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What?

The guy just got a the job and we're already touting him:help:. He may well be the eventual successor, But Nonis just signed a 5 year extension given to him by Leiweke last summer.

Also you still need to have some one with managerial experience at the NHL level and it's something Dubas may not acquire even in the next 5 years. We've done the young rookie GM routine twice before; And if we do it again the same result could follow.

JFJ wasn't allowed to do what he wanted to do - and he screwed the hell up catering to the board

who is the second?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I would suspect that Nonis isn't in Shanahan's long term plans for the team. Shanahan likely sees Nonis as someone who is competent enough to handle the team until his eventual replacement can be found - and given the recent hire of Dubas, Nonis can assist in his mentorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad