Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Extend Connor Carrick (1 Year Deal, 1.3M)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It was a decent playoffs, but youre talking about a 7 game stretch playing with who was probably our 2nd best player in the playoffs (gardiner) over an entire season of poor play.

I agree it's a small sample size but the sample size is actually much bigger than you are stating and those numbers from the playoffs are better than "decent". I actually agree with you that Gards was also amazing in the playoffs minus that one game and I'm wondering who was the player you thought was better than him. Marner?

If you include the worlds, Zaitsev has turned a truly awful season around with 30+ games of good to great hockey. I'm not saying he's a lock to continue his success but he and Gards really started to click at the end there so I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come and I just can't see Carrick playing the same role.

Carrick is going to be a depth guy and his signing may be a sign that we are moving on from Polak(despite a decent playoffs) but we still need another RHD to play with Rielly as it's obvious Hainsey can't handle the workload.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Because in my opinion, both are 3rd pairing defenseman. Carrick has been great in 3rd pairing role, and Z took a major step back last year. I'd much prefer to see if there's a market for him, and play Carrick.
If I'm remembering correctly Zaitsev's NTC kicks in next summer, so if the new front office aren't fans I can see them looking to dump his contract by the deadline.

Maybe it's my imagination but it seemed like we'd often play better when Carrick was in the lineup. I'm a fan just for the fact that he gets the damn puck through to the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44 and Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I agree it's a small sample size but the sample size is actually much bigger than you are stating and those numbers from the playoffs are better than "decent". I actually agree with you that Gards was also amazing in the playoffs minus that one game and I'm wondering who was the player you thought was better than him. Marner?

If you include the worlds, Zaitsev has turned a truly awful season around with 30+ games of good to great hockey. I'm not saying he's a lock to continue his success but he and Gards really started to click at the end there so I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come and I just can't see Carrick playing the same role.

Carrick is going to be a depth guy and his signing may be a sign that we are moving on from Polak(despite a decent playoffs) but we still need another RHD to play with Rielly as it's obvious Hainsey can't handle the workload.

Yeah, Marner haha. Honestly I would have said Gardiner was the best, up until game 7.

If Zaitsev can bounce back, it's absolutely huge for the defense going forward. If he can't, we have an anchor of a contract on a guy who probably shouldn't be playing even 3rd pairing if we are looking solely at last season. I'm not convinced he can, unfortunately.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, Connor seems to be in the mix for the 7-8 slots, with Rosen, Ozhiganov, maybe Marincin.
I expect Rosen and Ozhi to get the jobs.
He’s probably a perfect 3rd pairing guy with the right partner, though...problem is I’m not sure there’s a right partner here for him, given the composition of the D right now.
I remember he was a beast in the AHL playoffs a couple years back.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Maybe off topic...

It always astonishes me to think Morgan Reilly's birthday is between Connor Carrick and Calle Rosen. While two of them are treated like rookie kids, one is supposedly an already established veteran. If Carrick and Rosen can raise their game... why not Reilly as well?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Seems like a cheap contract and provides depth, not sure why people need to make it into something more than that. We can bury most of the cost in the AHL if it really doesn't pan out.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Maybe off topic...

It always astonishes me to think Morgan Reilly's birthday is between Connor Carrick and Calle Rosen. While two of them are treated like rookie kids, one is supposedly an already established veteran. If Carrick and Rosen can raise their game... why not Reilly as well?
*My computer at work was tripping and wouldn't let me actually write a reply earlier - Sorry if you got a notification for a weird blank post and had no idea what the hell was going on*

Rielly's awesome and still has a boat-load of potential. He just turned 24 a few months ago - even though he's already got 5 NHL seasons under his belt, he's still got another 2 or 3 years before we likely see him in his real prime. That he'll only be making $5M for another season or 2 after that point (when it's frankly already looking like a steal) is amazing.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Maybe off topic...

Because people react emotionally instead of using reason most of the time. New things are exciting, old things are not.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And why wouldn't Holl play in the NHL? If Polak isn't back..which I cant see he slots in. I really liked the Holl Dermott pairing. After Dermott..Justin is the closest D we have to stepping up. Timmy still needs some time it looks like.
Holl has some serious limitations as his transition skating is very poor. Holl will struggle at the NHL level and Rosen was by far our best D man late this season and all Thur the playoffs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Problem solved then? I only had him in the minors if we wanted to bury the cost because he didn't work out.
He is a good depth D man who at this point would be picked up if we tried to send him down. Babcock is not a fan and will likely not dress him like this past season. We would be best to keep him as insurance as our number 7 as he will not fetch much in a trade but could be an add on for a bigger trade.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Holl has some serious limitations as his transition skating is very poor. Holl will struggle at the NHL level and Rosen was by far our best D man late this season and all Thur the playoffs.

Not sure what you are watching. He isn't a Rosen or Dermott with his skating but he scored a lot on rushes..and his 2 NHL games one was on the rush. Holl is a bigger guy and controls the boards in his own end well..something we dont have outside Rielly and Hainsey.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not sure what you are watching. He isn't a Rosen or Dermott with his skating but he scored a lot on rushes..and his 2 NHL games one was on the rush. Holl is a bigger guy and controls the boards in his own end well..something we dont have outside Rielly and Hainsey.
I watched him play and he struggled with players who attacked him and makes him turn. He has a good stick and is strong but his feet are noticeable in the AHL and I saw it a lot when he played those two games. I wish he had better feet as he is a smart player.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I watched him play and he struggled with players who attacked him and makes him turn. He has a good stick and is strong but his feet are noticeable in the AHL and I saw it a lot when he played those two games. I wish he had better feet as he is a smart player.

Not all NHL players have great foot speed. Intelligence is more of an asset to me. He didnt look out of place when he was called on..but it was only 2 games.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not all NHL players have great foot speed. Intelligence is more of an asset to me. He didnt look out of place when he was called on..but it was only 2 games.
It is not foot speed as straight away his speed is fine. His foot work is poor and was highly sheltered in those two games and he got beat several times but 4th liners. People look at that he scored two goals and then started writing him into the top 4 d on here when he struggled defensively against the rush in the AHL.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Carrick won the "Leafs most fit player" = Babcock gud Pro.

If Babcock likes his wife (gud wife), he's this year's Babcock Polak replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad