Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Extend Connor Carrick (1 Year Deal, 1.3M)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Don’t mind it, he’s got value and still some upside.
See him as a candidate to be moved though.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I mean your original post was that you would rather have Carrick in the line than Zaitsev at this point. I disagree. I think any way you slice it Zaitsev is a better defender than Carrick at this point and I'm a fan of Carrick.

Zaitsev performed admirably in a 1st pairing role then had a rough sophomore year on the 2nd pairing and your writing him off as a 3rd pairing defender. Doesn't make sense to me at all, he had one good season and one bad season.

Because in my opinion, both are 3rd pairing defenseman. Carrick has been great in 3rd pairing role, and Z took a major step back last year. I'd much prefer to see if there's a market for him, and play Carrick.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Because in my opinion, both are 3rd pairing defenseman. Carrick has been great in 3rd pairing role, and Z took a major step back last year. I'd much prefer to see if there's a market for him, and play Carrick.
Agree to disagree. I think it is way too early to write Zaitsev off as a third pairing defender after 1 bad season. I think he bounces back to a second pairing guy. Has all the tools and toolbox just needs to play with some confidence which he has done his rookie year and in international tournaments recently.

If he bounces back to a 2nd pairing guy his contract will be fair now and then a steal in a few years.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The one thing I love about Carrick is that he’s scrappy and not afraid to get in the face of opposing players. Obviously he can skate well and break the puck out. He just needs to be more consistent in his decision making. All in all, this was a good signing for him to really try and show that he can be a full time NHLer

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
Connor Carrick:

2016-17:

toiQOC: 28.49 (weak 2nd pairing comp)
rel.CF%: +1.23
rel.xGF%: +1.54
rel.GF%: +4.63

2017-18:

toiQOC: 27.92 (3rd pairing comp)
rel.CF%: +2.47
rel.xGF%: +5.24
rel.GF%: -7.75

Carrick in 2nd pairing minutes was a productive defenseman, and it's not surprising at all that his stats got even better when he moved down to the third pair. Guy is a great 3rd pair defenseman, and has shown the ability to be better than that.

Nikita Zaitsev:

2016-17:

toiQOC: 29.6 (tough 1st pairing comp)
rel.CF%: -0.87
rel.xGF%: -2.56
rel.GF%: -9.4

2017-18:

toiQOC: 29.12 (tough 2nd pairing comp)
rel.CF%: -3.73
rel.xGF%:-1.51
rel.GF%: -5.18

Zaitsev plays harder comp, but he always hurts our team. He had a great start to his career, and it looked like with a drop in the toughness of minutes he'd improve. Guess again, he was worse to not only the analytics community, but even the "eye-test" people could plainly see what a mistake the 7 year contract was.
What’s the difference between the two rel GF?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Rosen Carrick
Borgman Holl

Liljegren Ozhiganov pushing for spots too. Leafs have good depth going into the season, but need another top 4 like Hainsey or Zaitsev.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Connor Carrick:

2016-17:

toiQOC: 28.49 (weak 2nd pairing comp)
rel.CF%: +1.23
rel.xGF%: +1.54
rel.GF%: +4.63

2017-18:

toiQOC: 27.92 (3rd pairing comp)
rel.CF%: +2.47
rel.xGF%: +5.24
rel.GF%: -7.75

Carrick in 2nd pairing minutes was a productive defenseman, and it's not surprising at all that his stats got even better when he moved down to the third pair. Guy is a great 3rd pair defenseman, and has shown the ability to be better than that.

Nikita Zaitsev:

2016-17:

toiQOC: 29.6 (tough 1st pairing comp)
rel.CF%: -0.87
rel.xGF%: -2.56
rel.GF%: -9.4

2017-18:

toiQOC: 29.12 (tough 2nd pairing comp)
rel.CF%: -3.73
rel.xGF%:-1.51
rel.GF%: -5.18

Zaitsev plays harder comp, but he always hurts our team. He had a great start to his career, and it looked like with a drop in the toughness of minutes he'd improve. Guess again, he was worse to not only the analytics community, but even the "eye-test" people could plainly see what a mistake the 7 year contract was.

Guess its time for another defend Zaitsev post......

Not only did Zaitsev have a solid final quarter of the season,

Here are his playoffs numbers (With rankings out of 64 dmen with 100 minutes min played):

toiQOC: 29.4
rel.CF%: 6.41 (6/64)
rel.xGF%: 14.92 (1/64) ! (3/157 when expanded to all players)
rel.GF%: -14.86 (55/64) (PDO being a lovely 94.94% may have affected this as well as many opinions around here)
He was our best penalty killer.
He led the team in hits.

Is having the best rel.xGF% of any defender with a toiQOC of 29.4 in the playoffs any good?

I do like Carrick and think hes is going to be used more but Zaitsev should be getting some more love after the way he finished the season.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
That's funny cause Carrick is the type of guy who doesn't really back down from anyone. He's pretty in your face and gritty for a player his size.
He doesn’t back down but he definitely isn’t the aggressor. He’s reactionary and protecting himself because he’s targetted. Babs needs some size and snarl. Someone who will put people in there place

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Good to have him back. He's a fine bottom-pairing, right-hand D and should have been an everyday player this year if not for Mike Babcock's weird habit of forming lineups based on who best feeds their family.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Rielly
Gardiner
Dermott
Hainsey
Borgman
Rosen

Zaitsev
Carrick
Holl
Orzhiganov

10 guys for 7-8 spots, doesn't rule out a trade but probably rules out signing someone like Carlson.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Assuming Polak is not re-signed and it would shock me if that happened, what other defenseman could beat out Carrick to make him a healthy scratch?
Holl maybe? I have a feeling with Dubas’ marlie connections he’s going to really get a shot to make the top 6/7 and battle it out with Carrick for ice time and/or press box duties.

He definitely looked good in the 2 games he got into with the Leafs, a hell of a lot better skater and puck handler than ‘ole hot potato Polak

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Guess its time for another defend Zaitsev post......

Not only did Zaitsev have a solid final quarter of the season,

Here are his playoffs numbers (With rankings out of 64 dmen with 100 minutes min played):

toiQOC: 29.4
rel.CF%: 6.41 (6/64)
rel.xGF%: 14.92 (1/64) ! (3/157 when expanded to all players)
rel.GF%: -14.86 (55/64) (PDO being a lovely 94.94% may have affected this as well as many opinions around here)
He was our best penalty killer.
He led the team in hits.

Is having the best rel.xGF% of any defender with a toiQOC of 29.4 in the playoffs any good?

I do like Carrick and think hes is going to be used more but Zaitsev should be getting some more love after the way he finished the season.

It was a decent playoffs, but youre talking about a 7 game stretch playing with who was probably our 2nd best player in the playoffs (gardiner) over an entire season of poor play.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Assuming Polak is not re-signed and it would shock me if that happened, what other defenseman could beat out Carrick to make him a healthy scratch?

RIGHT SIDE

HAINSEY - LOCK
ZAITSEV - LOCK

CARRICK - FIGHTING
HOLL - FIGHTING
OZHIGANOV - FIGHTING (I ASSUME)
LILJEGREN - 1-YEAR AWAY
LINDGREN - 1-YEAR AWAY (OR NEVER)

RASANEN - DUNNO

It's also possible that Borgman, Rosen or Marincin slides into RD.

The LD seems more set in stone (below) so everyone might have to compete for #3 RD.

RIELLY
GARDINER
DERMOTT

However - I hope we trade Gardiner & sign DeHaan (LD) & Wideman (RD).

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Yupp wasted a whole 275K (all that counts against the cap if he's sent down). on the $22 million in space we had. You still have to fill out the roster, can't go into next year with 10 forwards and 4 D lol
I agree plus carrick doesn't whine ,and he plays his heart out every chance he gets
BTW I think carrick could play regular for about 20 teams

Reactions: Griffin76

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I just don't see any upside in Carrick. He OK skater, and his decision making is OK. But he's not stout (though he tries) and as a result really isn't good enough defensively . He's 24 and he still might have another six years in the NHL as a 7th man. But really if you depend on him to play regularly, he's going to be liability. But of course most other teams can say that about their bottom end Dmen too.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think Carrick will ever really develop into a top4 kind of guy as a Maple Leaf. He's a good hockey player and has shown those flashes of top4 abilities, but I get the feeling that he's going to need a period of time where he's "thrown to the wolves" to learn those skills. Much like Babcock has baptized Rielly by fire, I think Carrick needs the same if he wants to take that next step. Problem is, I don't think the Leafs are particularly interested in spending time in the regular season playing sub-optimally by giving Carrick those danger minutes. It could happen in the case of injury, but I expect that we're going to try to add to the right side through a trade and Carrick will remain on the third pairing for the time being. His best bet as an NHL'er is to probably play on a crappy team for a few years, get his big reps and emerge as a second pairing calibre player.

In the meantime, I'm happy to have him play regular minutes on our third pair and contribute to depth. He did step up his game at times over the past season and who knows, maybe a real good NHL summer will make the difference and prove me wrong. Either way, I don't see him having a whole lot of value until he does prove himself in those top4 minutes down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad