Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Extend Connor Carrick (1 Year Deal, 1.3M)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
our right side defense is extremely weak, but he's still the second best guy we have there probably. he's also still young and has some upside

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not a big surprise,no way were they letting him walk.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That still makes him easy to trade, so great deal.

I do not know how he is going to fit onto the Leafs though.

Reactions: CelticDruid

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good move. He's good enough to play 5/6 and he's young and cheap. No reason to not qualify him or trade him away.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
According to CapFriendly, the Maple Leafs now have $21,042,500 remaining in cap space, needing to add 4 forwards (including William Nylander), and 3 defenders to an assumed 23 man roster.

Going out on a limb here, and gonna assume Travis Dermott, Igor Ozhiganov, Andreas Johnsson and Par Lindhom (along with William Nylander) are going to be penciled into those spots, and that leaves us with $18,329,167 to sign William Nylander, Andreas Johnsson, add another defender to the roster, and then upgrade the team.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That still makes him easy to trade, so great deal.

I do not know how he is going to fit onto the Leafs though.
If Polak is not back (which I don't think he will be with Dubas at the helm), and we don't sign anyone else or trade for anyone else, I can see Carrick making it based on his prior experience along with handedness.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Good value, low risk. Wish Babcock would give him a real look though. Played great when he was with Dermott and Rielly at times, and was good when Rielly was out and given second looks on the PP.

When Carrick plays: 32-11-4 record, .723 point percentage
When Carrick doesn't play: 17-15-3, .528 point percentage

*Skating and puck movement are huge for this team. Sure Polak was okay on the PK, but when he couldn't just fire the puck up the boards he was useless at feeding our forwards the puck.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good value, low risk. Wish Babcock would give him a real look though. Played great when he was with Dermott and Rielly at times, and was good when Rielly was out and given second looks on the PP.

When Carrick plays: 32-11-4 record, .723 point percentage
When Carrick doesn't play: 17-15-3, .528 point percentage

*Skating and puck movement are huge for this team. Sure Polak was okay on the PK, but when he couldn't just fire the puck up the boards he was useless at feeding our forwards the puck.
Assuming Polak is not re-signed and it would shock me if that happened, what other defenseman could beat out Carrick to make him a healthy scratch?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Assuming Polak is not re-signed and it would shock me if that happened, what other defenseman could beat out Carrick to make him a healthy scratch?
Ozhiganov is big, probably a good man, with a family. Doesn't really matter how good he is at hockey, if he has those intangibles he'll play.

Honestly though Carrick was probably our best RD last year (other than two beastly games from Holl) with Hainseys rough second half and Zaitsevs year from hell he should at the very least start in the lineup again next year if Babs isn't stubborn.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Given that at some points this past season they were both sent down to the Marlies wouldn't that give a slight advantage to Carrick?
yes. however, the preseason is a bigger indicator of who makes the team and who doesn't when it comes to the depth guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->