Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Extend Connor Carrick (1 Year Deal, 1.3M)

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Sounds like Ozhiganov already has the inside edge on his spot. I dont think Carrick will be happy sticking around as a 7/8 so hopefully they can move him for a pick.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Sounds like Ozhiganov already has the inside edge on his spot. I dont think Carrick will be happy sticking around as a 7/8 so hopefully they can move him for a pick.

I misread your post and thought it said "move him for a puck."

Then for a brief moment for some reason thought to myself: "I wish!"

Reactions: Vintage93

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm not writing Carrick off yet but his lacklustre pre-season games so far are not a good sign at all for the guy. He needs to show that he deserves a spot, because he won't have a long leash in-season to make that impression.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

The other threat to Carrick is that Ron Hainsey might be competing for the 6,7,8 spot. Ron Hainsey's potential drop-off still might qualify him as 6/7 for the leafs.

Reactions: dsred

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
So much unjustified hate towards Carrick. He’s a fine number 6 defenceman. I don’t see a whole lot of reasoning, just a lot of “Carrick sucks” whenever there is anything resembling a scoring chance against the Leafs when he is on the ice. Give the guy a break he was paired with Marincin last night and Gardiner and Rielly aren’t exactly giveaway-free either.

I’m also hearing a lot of buzz about Rosen and his amazing playoff run with the Marlies this year but people seem to forget that Carrick had 18 points in 15 games on the ‘15-16 Marlies team and was by far the best player on that team. Plus he’s just 24 years old and is younger than Holl, Ozhiganov and Rosen (by a few months). So if they still have some development time left, why not him too?
I hate Carrick because he stole my puppy!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So much unjustified hate towards Carrick. He’s a fine number 6 defenceman. I don’t see a whole lot of reasoning, just a lot of “Carrick sucks” whenever there is anything resembling a scoring chance against the Leafs when he is on the ice. Give the guy a break he was paired with Marincin last night and Gardiner and Rielly aren’t exactly giveaway-free either.

I’m also hearing a lot of buzz about Rosen and his amazing playoff run with the Marlies this year but people seem to forget that Carrick had 18 points in 15 games on the ‘15-16 Marlies team and was by far the best player on that team. Plus he’s just 24 years old and is younger than Holl, Ozhiganov and Rosen (by a few months). So if they still have some development time left, why not him too?
On 1 goal, Carrick let a forward get behind him. On another goal, he pulled a high risk poke check that he missed and left his feet. This is against a team that is little better than an AHL club

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Carrick was out played last year for a roster spot by Polak the player everyone loves to hate. Carrick has not progressed since coming here thus far and he will need to have a very good rest of camp to be on the ice opening night.

If he was a left shot he would not be in consideration for a roster spot as we have several better option with Rosen far better then him.

If he could kill penalties he would have a far great chance but his decision making is his biggest weakness and it is a hinderance to him being a NHL full time D man. He is willing and works extremely hard and has some offensive upside but we have 2 D man who are vastly superior in offensive capabilities. Ozhiganov Appears to be far more capable at this point but it is early days. He boxed out better and identifies his man on a rotation much faster which limits scoring chances against in prime scoring areas.

I say he is traded before to long into the season and if Ozhiganov is not in his spot right away he will be before long. They will likely be platooning for s short while and then Babcock goes to set pairings.

He has some value in a trade and I do not see him being placed on vaivers.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Carrick seems to be the classic 7/8 NHL Dman or good AHLer. He's a good enough skater, he's nimble enough but nothing special at the NHL level. Then he gets out muscled or out leveraged in tough defensive zone coverages. He's a willing worker and maybe plays to best of his abilities but on on a good NHL team, I don't think there is spot for him.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Don't understand how Carrick is so damn deezed yet gets entirely out muscled on the regular. Maybe he should STOP working out all day and focus his energy on the rink? Something's not clicking for him, he's got all the tools yet he just can't put it together

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
This guy should be working on his hockey skill more. He seems hesitant and slow for a player his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad